Fidelity Research FR64s versus FR64fx

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not so "mobile", sorry. :) Time does not go back and nostalgia is nice for a few moments, but I will not change my music preferences just to listen to vinyl or colored "mobile" digital.

A few kinds of music are better served by vinyl than digital or panels. Paul Simon Graceland is one of example - I have said more than once that the best versions I have listened to of this album were on Apogee Duetta's Signatures and Magneplanar Tympany's - none stayed more than a few weeks at my house as they needed to be played really loud to show their best.

Ok. Go glad to know you are still around

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Micro, do you know the differences between Agat Ruby and the Purple Heart? Asking because I preferred the Purple Heart to Atlas, Airtight Supreme, Zyx Omega, and Allnic Puritas (the owner has the same preference). Will describe system in detail later but interested in Kisekis the moment hence the question.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Micro, do you know the differences between Agat Ruby and the Purple Heart? Asking because I preferred the Purple Heart to Atlas, Airtight Supreme, Zyx Omega, and Allnic Puritas (the owner has the same preference). Will describe system in detail later but interested in Kisekis the moment hence the question.

You must really be itching to reach your personal conclusion:D.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ked,
Carlo,with Riviera and Mark Levinson has the purple heart,the original old,could be he is selling,and now has the ANJ IO limited,that is much much better
Kiseki has similar sound to Koetsu red signature

I had Agat Ruby 15 years ago,green color very beautiful,but then i sold because was not very special in my previous system,i preferred Transfiguration temper supreme

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This was not like the koetsu in this system. Maybe there is a difference between the old and the new. Will try to listen at Carlo to see if the sound signature is similar to what I heard yesterday. Or is the one I heard at his before?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

My opinions are souvenirs of more than 20 years ago, about the original Kiseki models. The Agaats (both boron and ruby) had a fantastic drive, full bodied and sweet sound. Perhaps on the "bigger than life" side of sound reproduction. The Purple Heart boron and the sapphire sounded different - my own boron was a little "faded" , the sapphire had much more air and detail. At that time I found that Purple Heart sapphire was the more transparent - overall it was my preferred, as my sample of the Kiseki Agaat ruby was not a an excellent tracker and would mistrack some LPs at the end of the side, independently of arm or set-up.

Yesterday I was listening to Carlos Montoya ?– The Incredible Carlos Montoya LP with the black Agaat ruby. A great listening, for this type of music (single acoustic instrument played with great momentum, but changing speed very fast) LP is really great. The Agaat is not exactly transparent - but is really enjoyable. BTW, my comparison for transparency is the van den Hul Black Beauty I have owned for a long time.

BTW, what is your opinion on the TW Raven AC? Yes, I know it is a belt drive!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Currently my favorite belt is the brinkmann balance. I haven't liked the verdier, raven, or Linns I have heard as much, though the latter has good mids. I have to decide if I prefer a restored idler or a cheaper DD to the balance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will get more details of whether the kiseki I heard was sapphire or boron

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Currently my favorite belt is the brinkmann balance. I haven't liked the verdier, raven, or Linns I have heard as much, though the latter has good mids. I have to decide if I prefer a restored idler or a cheaper DD to the balance.

And the Micro Seiki's?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And the Micro Seiki's?

I have just heard Shakti's. I plan to hear one more 8000 in July or August, so will know. Either way it won't be in my budget.

I think used brinkmann at its price does everything Fremer's review says it does. And audio arts analog set up with brinkmann, Jan Allaerts, and FM acoustics is one of the best analog set ups I heard outside Mike's. I bought the Allaerts. I have since heard two more brinkmann set ups and will be doing one more with compares. Will then write in detail. I wholeheartedly agree with almost every word of fremer's brinkmann balance (also read his follow ups) and Allaerts reviews (though one model down from what he reviewed sounds better... Way more output and bit of body weight). Kiseki is another very good cart, between Allaerts and kiseki I don't need more expensive carts, I can do with an alternate sound like Decca blue

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I think used brinkmann at its price does everything Fremer's review says it does. (...)

But is has only a single arm. I will not get another turntable unless it can have at less three arms. For fun ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But is has only a single arm. I will not get another turntable unless it can have at less three arms. For fun ...

Yes that's the issue. A newer one has two arms. And you can change the arms quickly.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Kiseki Blue NS and Kiseki Purple Heart NS are the tow new versions.
I had both, very first edition and later models. First models were very much focussed on resolution and much information, very brights, later models werde more neutral. Big difference to the old models of the 80's
may be the actual models have again changed a little bit,

Please try your individual model before buying.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, are you going to max out on the 2-arm/tubed psu/HRS platform version?

From what I gather from Fremer’s words, the Rönt and HRS are all critical to the overall effect, and you’ll want to run two arms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All the owners I met said that you need to have the tubed supply.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m not surprised. It looks like the HRS is essential too, and you’ll need two arms. I guess you’ll wait indefinitely on the s/h market to get the package?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’m not surprised. It looks like the HRS is essential too, and you’ll need two arms. I guess you’ll wait indefinitely on the s/h market to get the package?

I am not sure. I first have to establish it is worth the premium over a Schopper

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes that's the issue. A newer one has two arms. And you can change the arms quickly.

IMHO we will not be able to get an used new version ... :rolleyes:

Have you considered getting the new SP10 with a custom multi-arm plinth?

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surely you know Ked?
You’ve heard Schopper umpteen times, and know it inside out.
And you’ve heard Balance more than once.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing