Pioneer TX9100 FM tuner
Sony Playstation 3
Spectral DMC20 preamp with phono stage
VTL 300 Deluxe amps
Perreaux 3150
Infinity RS1B speakers with electronic crossover
MIT Shotgun Speaker cable
Cardas interconnects

I want a system to be accurate to the source. Have wide dynamic range with the ability to produce deep bass and be able to fill a large room. My interest in audio began when I was 12. I am now 71. This system started in 1985 with the purchase of the Infinity RS1Bs. The dealer (Excalaber in Alexandria VA. long since gone) assured me I would eventually love the speakers and he would work with me to put together a full system to accomplish my goals. Initially they were way too bright. Tubes are needed on the mid tweeter panels and transistors on the bass columns. I was able to bring each piece of equipment into my home and try it in the system before the purchase was finalized. Difficult if not impossible to do today. I built a music room in 1990 to house the system. The room is 32' long, 18' wide and 10' high with a sky light over the speakers that raises the height to 13'. A video source (Sony rear projection KDS-R70XBR2) was added in 2008. That was the last rear projection TV Sony manufactured and it was and is an excellent product. The current amps are VTL300s on the mid tweeter panels and a Perreaux 3150 transistor amp on the bass columns. The electronic crossover kept breaking down and eventually Infinity suppled me with a new crossover which they, as far I know, never put into full production. They discontinued the RS1Bs shortly after shipping me the new crossover. It has worked flawlessly since 1987. One EMIT burned out a few years ago but I was able to get it repaired by Bill Tahlmann at Music Technologies in VA. The preamp is a Spectral DMC20 with a built in phono stage and separate power supply. Two years ago it went back to the factory for a tune up (noise in one channel). The VTL also has been back to the factory or to Mr. Thalmann for repairs a number of times but still meets specs. Speaker cables are MIT Shotguns and interconnects are Cardas (the Spectral did not blow up). Turntable is SOTA Cosmos IV with a SME V and Lyra Titan i (my third one). Video is via a Sony Playstation 3 (early unit) and SACDs and CDs via a Sony SCDXA5400ES. All of these components were purchased before audio inflation had set in except for the Titan i and the Sony SCDXA5400ES ( The RS1Bs were $5700). I have been very fortunate to have picked companies that are still in business and willing and able to still repair the products that they sold me (excluding Infinity). I have been looking for a replacement for the RS1bs for decades but nothing seems to make me want to part with them except for the larger Nola's and Genesis's which are $200,000 and up. I am 71 now with some hearing loss but not enough to not appreciate high end audio. The Nola's or Genesis's would be a financial stretch but I still may do it. The albums (4,000 plus) have been collected since I was a teenager. Pretty full collection of early RCAs, Mercuries and Decca-Londons but I enjoy all kinds of music. I listen for a few hours each day. The video system goes through the Spectral and was dumbed down to two channels. It is a wonderful system and a bargain - of coarse that may end if I buy to Nola or Genesis.

Last edited:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Looks like a lovely system you have their and a wonderful listening room with a vinyl collection to die for, nice one!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Absolutely lovely. Airy, bright, spacious, very tasteful and most probably sounds as good as it looks. Seems to me a wonderful place to spend a lot of time in.

Whaddya think Gary? The width of the room looks right for a pair of G2.2s.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
One of the best rooms I've ever seen.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You have a great looking system and a beautiful room.

I think you need more shelf space for your LPs!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with all the compliments here and felt compelled by the photos and Ruxtonvets' enthusiasm, dedication and clear passion for great audio and music...to post my own comments. Great looking system, great room and an extremely well thought system that (to me) shows a very discerning ear and wallet. With the financial capability to buy the flagship Nolas or Genesis 1s...and yet having the conviction to stay with the Infinity's is really impressive in a world where some people to spend more than listen...and it gives a lot of audiophile further confidence that sometimes, just sometimes, yesterday's SOTA is still SOTA today. Nice one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Despite its age, the Infinity RS1B are still wonderful loudspeakers. I'm sure that when/if ruxtonet is looking for an upgrade, he'll know who to call :D

The room would be perfect! as would be the music collection.

+1

A good friend still uses RS1bs but he has a custom built xover.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't change a thing. :) Outstanding!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1

A good friend still uses RS1bs but he has a custom built xover.

I will say, there is a youtube video of someone using these speakers playing some piano...and it is mesmerizingly good. Sure, its just a youtube, so who the heck knows? But having heard Genesis 1s in real life, I found this particular little video clip (plus my experience with the big boys) intriguing enough that if I ever get a chance to hear the RS1Bs in real life, I will definitely do it.

In fact, I'd love to see how far things like custom crossovers, and some of the 'tweaks' (like the ones to the bass towers) that many owners of Infinity owners have undertaken...could really bring some of these older Infinity's towers even further forward.

Myles/Ruxtonvet/Gary/All - how much scale do these guys produce in relation to the big Wilsons or other speakers of that ilk? I am curious what these 'smaller' 4-towers are capable of delivering in terms of slam and scale.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I will say, there is a youtube video of someone using these speakers playing some piano...and it is mesmerizingly good. Sure, its just a youtube, so who the heck knows? But having heard Genesis 1s in real life, I found this particular little video clip (plus my experience with the big boys) intriguing enough that if I ever get a chance to hear the RS1Bs in real life, I will definitely do it.

In fact, I'd love to see how far things like custom crossovers, and some of the 'tweaks' (like the ones to the bass towers) that many owners of Infinity owners have undertaken...could really bring some of these older Infinity's towers even further forward.

Myles/Ruxtonvet/Gary/All - how much scale do these guys produce in relation to the big Wilsons or other speakers of that ilk? I am curious what these 'smaller' 4-towers are capable of delivering in terms of slam and scale.

If you hear something sound great over Youtube, you are onto something. It's damn hard to make a good sounding recording that transfers over to Youtube and still sounds good. I have only heard the RS1B speakers once, but I was mightily impressed. They throw a huge soundstage and are very dynamic. I heard the Flamenco Fever LP and I was expecting the floor to give way with all of the foot stomps. That was almost 26 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think it's a beautiful room too and wish mine looked half as appealing. I love the record shelving.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you hear something sound great over Youtube, you are onto something. It's damn hard to make a good sounding recording that transfers over to Youtube and still sounds good. I have only heard the RS1B speakers once, but I was mightily impressed. They throw a huge soundstage and are very dynamic. I heard the Flamenco Fever LP and I was expecting the floor to give way with all of the foot stomps. That was almost 26 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Wow...great stuff...thanks for that feedback. This is the clip by the way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFuTOA-S0bQ

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

+1

Steve McCormack brought over a test pressing to our audio society meeting, and played over the little G7f's I thought that the cones would fly out of the cabinet. On the big Genesis Dragons, with unlimited power, you can hear the walls bulge and the floors hop.

Another great live Direct to Disc is the JVC Flamenco Ole!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow, amaizing room !

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Very nice room and a quite good LP archive.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow...great stuff...thanks for that feedback. This is the clip by the way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFuTOA-S0bQ

LLoyd,

Nice to see also the Michell Gyrodec sniping - at some time I owned it, but had to keep out of sight - the reflex of the light in the six polished cylindrical platter weights was hypnotic - I could not support it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing