Ethics of Switching Seats at a Classical Concert

Is it okay to move to an empty and better seat at a classical concert?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OK, Kedar. I am stating my general position on this topic while you are now introducing specific cases which seem at odds with the other examples you mentioned and that I quoted. It's all fine. I think I know your answer to Ron's poll question and I think it differs from mine. Perhaps we can agree on that much.

BTW, since Ron removed the revelation of member names and how they voted, the voting results seem to be changing a bit, with many more people voting "NO". I find that to be quite interesting.

Where we disagree is what the switching is used for. If the switching was used for the same motive you allude to, I and more would have voted no

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So, the guy's money is totally wasted because he voluntarily bought a seat which he does not want. That's a good one. And somehow you refer to this as "society's money". You have totally lost me on this one. Perhaps you mean that society has subsidized the arts in your country, so everyone pays through taxes and then you as the concert goer are entitled to sit in the best seat possible, as long as it is available. But wait, you paid for your ticket, so how does that work?

I guess where you go to hear classical concerts, the ushers allow you to move up and get a better seat for free. You almost make it seem like you are making a sport of this. So, you know ahead of time that you are paying a lesser amount for a poor seat, and hoping that you can upgrade for free. Is that what you do? Really? But as I wrote before, it may just be cultural differences.

I thought we were talking about different seating sections for different prices and moving when you see a better seat that is empty than the one you paid for. To me, the practice you describe only makes sense if it is open seating for the same ticket prices. If people are not assigned seats, then it is a free for all and you can go to where you please. That is fine, but that is not what Ron's OP seems to be about. He described a whole plan of attack, seeing the target, and then going for it at the opportune moment. Sounds like you and he are describing different scenarios.

Peter,
I'll bet your experience at Boston Symphony Hall is like mine at Carnegie, where I often notice is that there are always a number of no-shows, and that's often common for the premium seats. I find this annoying and sad. I guess some folks just go on vacation, have other plans or just don't care and don't bother to find people to take their seats. If I can't do an exchange for another show, I often turn my seats into the box office as there are always people and students looking for seats. Sometimes these people just stand in front of the hall before concerts asking for tickets. As far as seat upgrades, it wouldn't bother me to switch seats if I felt the need since the money I spend for my patron donation far exceeds the cost of the seats. As long as they don't throw me out for trying, I'm OK with it. Then again, this is NY. They'd probably sue me or shoot me first for cultural insensitivity.
Marty

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
BTW, since Ron removed the revelation of member names and how they voted, the voting results seem to be changing a bit, with many more people voting "NO". I find that to be quite interesting.

I too find that interesting. It's pretty much 50/50 now.
And I remember @ the beginning it was 95/5 (with 12 votes in the Yes section, and only 1 in the No).

It's as if a veil has been removed; a veil of fear? :D

What a funny bunch. :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

Yes, Peter. It seems people feel free to vote when they do not risk being insulted because of the equipment they own ... :(

Reactions: asiufy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, Peter. It seems people feel free to vote when they do not risk being insulted because of the equipment they own ... :(

That didn't happen. The sarcasm actually started because the person voted no, and could have been extended to any equipment they own. The way you write make it seems the other way round. But hey, when did you last make an accurate post?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
05FB0670-F9A4-46A2-9FBC-0DB9D158AE75.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter for you. Cheaper seat today, did not shift to more expensive empty seat as not required to in this hall

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Words have a big impact ...

Pictures? Nah, they have zero impact; it's what inside the heart of the music.
I'm kidding; without pictures we are lost.
I'm @ lost for words ...

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter for you. Cheaper seat today, did not shift to more expensive empty seat as not required to in this hall

Kedar, that's an interesting use of the word "required". I have never felt "required" to shift into more expensive empty seats, by my own standards, or by anyone else's.

As I had suspected from your earlier posts too, you were not talking about same priced seats but rather moving from cheaper seats to more expensive empty seats when they are available. Here, you even confirm it, explicitly. You are not alone, as more people have voted "YES" so far.

There are the rules of the venue, the mores of the culture, and the ethics of the individual.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is that seat still empty on that sailing boat, Peter? :)
I can bring my portable transistor AM mono radio. :D ...With mono headphones of course.
Nah, I just want to hear the gentle waves cutting through from the hull's sides and the wind caressing the mainsail. Sailing is like . . . feeling free with the elements...air and water.

* If ever we get closer to 100 votes I will vote.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, that's an interesting use of the word "required". I have never felt "required" to shift into more expensive empty seats, by my own standards, or by anyone else's.

As I had suspected from your earlier posts too, you were not talking about same priced seats but rather moving from cheaper seats to more expensive empty seats when they are available. Here, you even confirm it, explicitly. You are not alone, as more people have voted "YES" so far.

There are the rules of the venue, the mores of the culture, and the ethics of the individual.

You still cannot get past your own thinking.

At barbican, the cheaper seats are useless. You might as well go home then listen. Here, cheaper or expensive, it does not matter. Sonically. So, if you don't get a good sonics seat (read expensive) at barbican, the only way to watch the concert is to get in, and shift seats, else miss the concert.

All the ones I book here are cheaper. All the ones I book at barbican or royal festival hall are their most expensive. However, in those two halls when I don't get the right ones, I book what is available (which is always cheaper) and then shift to the explosive expensive seats.

I don't expect you to get this. You are too busy trying thinking ethical superiority where none exists

Or maybe you don't shift to the right seats so you think the BSO sounds like your Magico pass

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It would be really good if those 10 who voted no actually disclose how many concerts they go to. Otherwise there are many armchair ethics experts who know how to save the world. Would also be good to know their opinion on if we should stop eating meat

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Is that seat still empty on that sailing boat, Peter? :)

Sadly, yes it is, Bob. Unfortunately, the sailboat will be launched three months late this season as I had an accident and the doctor told me not to take her out while in my cast and on crutches. So now I have more time to sit around at my computer and make poor arguments on audio forums. :)

You have an open invitation, Bob. Ron chose to listen to my stereo instead of sailing last Fall. No one has slipped into an empty seat on the boat without permission, to the best of my knowledge. The harbor and dock masters both keep a pretty close watch over the boats around here.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Or maybe you don't shift to the right seats so you think the BSO sounds like your Magico pass

I sit in seats I purchase rather than shifting around. Sometimes they are on the right, sometimes they are on the left, but mostly, they are near the center. I prefer closer up to further away.

Microstrip was correct. It is not very nice to insult people because of the equipment they choose. And BTW, your comment above makes no sense. The stereo equipment is what attempts to reproduce the sound of a live orchestra if it is well captured on a recording. I think you got it backwards. It should read that the Magico/Pass sounds like the BSO. I suppose it depends on what one means by sounds "like". They certainly do not sound the same.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Microstrip was correct. It is not very nice to make fun of people because of the equipment they choose.

I agree Peter with you and micro

Ked

In the past few days I’ve noticed several of your posts have become personal. Kindly make your point without insult. I’ve seen several you’ve hurled towards both Peter and micro. It’s not the way we prefer doing things here Ked. Kindly desist going forward

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree Peter with you and micro

Ked

In the past few days I’ve noticed several of your posts have become personal. Kindly make your point without insult. I’ve seen several you’ve hurled towards both Peter and micro. It’s not the way we prefer doing things here Ked. Kindly desist going forward

I have not hurled insults towards Peter. He alluded to cultural and ethical superiority. Micro needs to control his own postings too his insults are not direct they are subtle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing