At What SPL Do You Listen to Your Stereo?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great recording and system ! Real scale and jump on ear buds
How far back was the recording done ?

It was done 4 years ago, and is not from my channel, it was done by someone else. If by "how far back" you mean distance from the speaker, I have not yet invaded that space so not sure but he seems close.

But on topic, here is Beethoven's 5th, Reiner conducting, which I recorded in December. Amazing at the quieter passages, suspense, double bass. I was over 4m away, maybe 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Stevie Ray Vaughn certainly loud , you gotta hear that guitar come screaming through the middle
FM acoustics last year LP play back.
Oh and for the people who say SRV ...... again , classics never get old as he is/was one of the best guitar players ever

Great sounding system !

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It was done 4 years ago, and is not from my channel, it was done by someone else. If by "how far back" you mean distance from the speaker, I have not yet invaded that space so not sure.

But on topic, here is Beethoven's 5th, Reiner conducting, which I recorded in December. Amazing at the quieter passages, suspense, double bass

On my ear buds I like these two better I can hear the hall better even during quiet passages. Of course you humming too lol. nice stuff. how far back to seat ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If horns are done well I think they sound the most dynamic in speed up
And down in spl to me. Ares cerate at axpona while in a small room still
Had an amazing sense of scale

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On my ear buds I like these two better I can hear the hall better even during quiet passages. Of course you humming too lol. nice stuff. how far back to seat ?

When I am actually in the room the acoustic improves. I was around 5m from the centre of the line joining the speakers.

Yes these two videos are excellent as it was one of the best systems I heard, definitely the best for rock. And you could listen all day without fatigue, because throughout sensitivity and impedance was matched, all drivers firing in the same direction, phase coherent and time aligned, first order crossover. So you did not have to adjust SPL for the weakest point in order for the strongest point to get so loud that it hurt your ears...nor reduce the SPLs to a level where the weakest point lost out on audibility

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Stevie Ray Vaughn certainly loud , you gotta hear that guitar come screaming through the middle
FM acoustics last year LP play back.
Oh and for the people who say SRV ...... again , classics never get old as he is/was one of the best guitar players ever

Nicely done. Never been much of a SRV fan but he was quite good with a tremendous reputation and this piece is certainly no slouch.

Almost seems as though your recording vs my recording are from two different recording sessions. If for no other reason than the striking of the riding cymbal seems a faster tempo on yours.

Give it the juice.

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
With an empty house during the day I measured somewhere between 70-80 dB with peaks just reaching 90, C-weighted and that is where I normally listen when alone. Now as the kids are asleep and the wife is working late it shows 55-60 and peaking around 70, still C-weighted. First day with SETs on my O/96 so it is an interesting evening trying them with low levels.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It was done 4 years ago, and is not from my channel, it was done by someone else. If by "how far back" you mean distance from the speaker, I have not yet invaded that space so not sure but he seems close.

But on topic, here is Beethoven's 5th, Reiner conducting, which I recorded in December. Amazing at the quieter passages, suspense, double bass. I was over 4m away, maybe 5.

At what SPL were you listening while recording these videos?

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
75-80 db, 85 db peaks, A-weighted. Any louder than that and things start to fall apart. Noise floor in the room is 30 db on a good day. I’m a) impressed; and b) surprised when audiophile say they happily listen at 60-65 db.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
75-80 db, 85 db peaks, A-weighted. Any louder than that and things start to fall apart. .

Thank you for your report.

What do you mean by "things start to fall apart"?

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Thank you for your report.

What do you mean by "things start to fall apart"?
My room is quite small - 13’ X 20’ with a very low ceiling (6.5’), the consequences of having a basement listening room in a century home. I have the speakers on the long wall and my listening position is about 4’ into the room. While I have a good complement of absorption and diffusion panels, as well as bass traps, higher frequencies become harsh (cringy actually) at high SPLs because of too much energy bouncing back off the back wall. Note that I quoted an A-weighted listening level so that’s actually higher when quoted as C-weighted. So I’m still listening at loud levels.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your reply.

I personally think you have a wonderful front-end and great, not-bright sounding, electronics.

I'm not familiar with the loudspeaker. Is that corundum dome tweeter possibly a little bit bright?

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Thank you for your reply.

I personally think you have a wonderful front-end and great, not-bright sounding, electronics.

I'm not familiar with the loudspeaker. Is that corundum dome tweeter possibly a little bit bright?
Thanks Ron. The speakers work well in my room. The open baffle design doesn’t overload the room like the succession of ported box speakers that came before them. I did indeed find the tweeter bright at first but between break-in and pulling my listening chair about a foot more into the room, the problem vanished. I find the treble considerably smoother than, say, the Magnepans I also owned until recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Nakor

May 14, 2011
IMG_5970_scaled.jpg

This is quite typical for me. From high 60's to low 80's, with peaks maybe +10 dB or so. Wouldn't play much louder even without neighbours.

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
…North York (Toronto) Canada
I make a conscious effort to stay at the 85db safety limit but I carve a track or two worth of time allowing 100dB+ peaks. Me time is about 2 hours.
I probably average the same mid eighties level but it’s more like 85db - 95db with (100db+ Dynamic peaks) average for other types of program material. can be pretty “you are there” lifelike reproduction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing