Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Mike, I believe the forthcoming (two years and counting) Wilson Benesch GMTOne will also be a proprietary "mag drive" technology.
It was being touted at £300k to include two arms, the T1 looks a bargain in comparison, lol.
3-4 years ago i watched a Fremer Munich video referencing the GMT One, and contacted the Wilson Benesch importer and got on a list to be contacted when the GMT One was ready for orders. looked like it might be special. COVID happened, and it's still not on the market. 2 years ago i saw it got some UK Government money to finish the project, still not here.

agree that the Esoteric seems to be a better (simpler, more elegant) implementation, and a more real world choice. but the GMT One could be special regardless of price.

i expect the power supply/clock implementation and the magnetic bearing gives the Esoteric T1 a huge price advantage in steady ness more like much larger heavier belt based designs using high mass as the main steadying factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: emoonie and wisnon
Mike, about the last thing you'd want is to rely on British Government funding, lol.

Reactions: Pokey77
Mike, just how do you decide which arms go on which TTs? Ok, the CS Port is a no brainer.
But the Durand, the Kinea FC, you have others as well? What's the thinking on which arm goes on which TT?
Also, you often talk about the CS Port in relation to first the Saskia, now the T1...but rarely do you discuss the comparison with the NVS, indeed you only occasionally talk about the NVS at all.

Reactions: morricab
sorry, this gets complicated.
Mike, just how do you decide which arms go on which TTs?
my intention when the arm boards arrive for the T1 is to mount the Primary Control FCL/Etsuro Gold left front, and the Tosca/DaVa on the left rear, and provisionally the Ikeda with either the Audio Technica or more likely the Koetsu Azule on the right rear (Koetsu seems a better match for the Ikeda so far).

then i'll have the 2nd Tosca/likely with the Audio Technica on the left rear of the NVS and the Durand Telos wood arm wand on the right side with one of my Infinity mono's.

my thinking is it's possible i end up with one or two turntables, not three. but have to let things play out. i want to hear just how far things go with the T1 w/clock to understand the choices.

will the delta between tt's be such that i might not listen to all the tt's enough to keep them all? i don't expect that to be the result, but can't really know that yet.
Ok, the CS Port is a no brainer.
yes.
But the Durand, the Primary Control FC, you have others as well?
my arm roster--
(2) Tosca's
Primary Control FCL
Ikeda
Durand Telos wood arm wand.
CS Port linear tracker.
What's the thinking on which arm goes on which TT?
right now i'm looking to hear the best arms on the T1 and see if it separates itself. how great can it sound? will i keep the Ikeda, or add a different arm in place of it? i could see switching the FCL back and forth between the T1 and NVS to nail down the differences if it's close.
Also, you often talk about the CS Port in relation to first the Saskia, now the T1...but rarely do you discuss the comparison with the NVS, indeed you only occasionally talk about the NVS at all.
the last 60 days, with the Saskia gone and the Esoteric in play, my EMIA phono corrector has limited my arms supported to only 2. since the MC Trio SUT has -2- 1:15 inputs, which all the cartridges except the DaVa are compatible with. and -1- 1:50 input, which only works with the very low output DaVa. the DaVa is mounted on one of my Durand Tosca's which is sitting on the shelf, waiting for an arm board.

mostly prior to the Saskia leaving, i was doing the NVS/Primary Control FCL/Etsuro Gold, and the CS Port/Etsuro Gold. with some Dava/Saskia thrown in. now i've taken the second 1:15 SUT input for the T1/Ikeda/Koetsu/Audio Technica instead of the NVS/Primary Control/Etsuro Gold. mostly because i'm trying to decide whether i keep the CS Port or not, and wanted to enjoy the T1. so i wanted to live with it more in direct compare. i certainly can easily change the phono cables to the Primary Control FCL/Etsuro Gold, but just have not done it. or i can plug that into the dart phono too. but just not done it. had all the tape stuff going on too. just not messed with it. not that it's forgotten or lacking.

so my agenda is first things first. right now listening to the T1 with the only arm i can mount, the Ikeda. and the CS Port....of course. when the arm boards arrive the real fun begins.

there will be a test later so study hard.

Last edited:
Ask a simple question...lol.

327,000 UK pounds from Innovate UK in July 2021

they got the money. but then what happened? not a peep since.
Mike, the British people are feeling the pinch, maybe Wilson Benesch should send the cash back, lol.

Ask a simple question...lol.
exactly which simple question was that? :rolleyes:

there are simple questions, or multiple simple questions, but not always simple answers. or maybe simple answers that lead to many more simple questions. the jigsaw puzzle that is my sources at the moment is hard to describe simply. but i am enjoying the process for sure. not complaining.

Last edited:
3-4 years ago i watched a Fremer Munich video referencing the GMT One, and contacted the Wilson Benesch importer and got on a list to be contacted when the GMT One was ready for orders. looked like it might be special. COVID happened, and it's still not on the market. 2 years ago i saw it got some UK Government money to finish the project, still not here.

agree that the Esoteric seems to be a better (simpler, more elegant) implementation, and a more real world choice. but the GMT One could be special regardless of price.

i expect the power supply/clock implementation and the magnetic bearing gives the Esoteric T1 a huge price advantage in steady ness more like much larger heavier belt based designs using high mass as the main steadying factor.
Great new TT you bought, Mike. The WB GMT One also seems special, as it come with its own heavy stand 2 Nano Composite tonearms of differing modulus, the Omega magnetic drive and the ability to adjust VTA on the fly with remote con told in 0.25 micron increments. Drool-worthy too, just like the Esoteric. https://wizard-highend.blogspot.com/2019/05/wilson-benesch-gmt-one-system-reference.html

Attachments

• WB GMT One.jpeg
    WB GMT One.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
i am very curious what did happen. i enjoy the Wilson Benesch speakers when i hear them and respect the brand. hope there is a happy ending.
I dont love their speakers personally, but do like their TTs. I have one in fact (ACT-05 tonearms and MicroBenz Ace cart). Complemented with a Tesla Coil. LoL

Attachments

• Tesla Coil.jpeg
    Tesla Coil.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Full Circle TT.jpeg
    Full Circle TT.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24
i'm told my Esoteric T1 arm boards for the Tosca/Dava and FCL/Etsuro Gold are now 'in country' and so might arrive this next week.

and on a side note, i will retire from my job on Monday, it's my last day working. 49 years in auto retailing. over. my plan for retirement is......no plan. a lot of it. :cool:

i'm told my Esoteric T1 arm boards for the Tosca/Dava and FCL/Etsuro Gold are now 'in country' and so might arrive this next week.

and on a side note, i will retire from my job on Monday, it's my last day working. 49 years in auto retailing. over. my plan for retirement is......no plan. a lot of it. :cool:

Mike,

Congratulations on your retirement!!!! I hope you have a wonderful and memorable last day!

Mike,
Congrats on your retirement!! Enjoy!

Scott

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Congratulations, time for some serious listening in the future ! ;)

Now when the wife asks “what are you doing today?” You can answer “nothing.”

when she says “you did that yesterday” you can reply… “I‘m not finished.” ;)

congratulations on your freedom. 49 years is plenty.

Begs the question, why don’t you complete 50? Might get you a couple more tables

Begs the question, why don’t you complete 50? Might get you a couple more tables
i do appreciate your well intentioned positive expectations for me.

i've had 5 tt's at once, and it did not improve my experience. went from there to one tt for a decade. more likely will end up with one or two turntables than go to 4 from 3. retiring does not stop my system evolution necessarily. plenty of system assets to re-task according to my leanings. and the piggy bank is not empty, but now i have time to look for other pursuits too. hifi always perfectly fit into my time away from work, but now i'm not limited that way. which is the whole idea. something more/different.

OTOH i do like the idea of '50 years'.......which will be in January when i have my 50th wedding anniversary.

in respect to 49 years in auto retail, likely my 43 years at the same dealership is more the accomplishment. i'm a unicorn in that way.

Last edited:
Congratulations Mike. Soak in that last day on Monday for everything it represents.

You had once talked about buying a boat and exploring those gorgeous waters and islands north of Seattle up to Canada and Alaska. If you do, stop by Orcas Island. It is a magical place. If boat and the freedom and exploration it allows is still a dream, I hope you realize it.

Reactions: dcathro

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing