End game pre amp + amp upgrade

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
read comparison of Vitus to jadis and Kondo. Posting because I myself compared to Kondo kagura at Rhapsody

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vitus3/1.html

Again, So? I have heard Vitus many times now and the result is that I don't find the sound very appealing. I don't need a compare for this. I have heard wonderful and also somewhat boring demonstrations with Kondo...mostly wonderful. Jadis has also been a mixed bag and the only one I have found to sound consistently good is the relatively affordable Defy 7 in various versions. The JA30 is also good. I haven't heard one of their SETs (but the 300B measurements in Stereophile make even a SET lover cringe) but would love to hear the 845 model someday.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well as i have explained in my previous post, what am i looking for is electronics that make me feel real when listen to music, especially large scale orchestra. So my tentative ranking is based on what i have heard and feeling when listenning. CH Precision, Vitus, Soulution can make it sound great but not as real as Boulder or Dartzeel. Gryphon come close though.

Feel free to give your opinion please. After all i am still new and got a lot to learn.

My honest opinion? None of these will give you a real feeling when listening to music...only a real feeling in your back when you try to lift them back out of your system disappointed...:rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To clarify, you have Cessaro in a 20 Sq. M. Room?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes indeed, FM Acoustic gear is hard to find. Out of all the system you listened, may i asked which system gave the deepest and widest sound stage , Spatial cue, 3D feeling in relative to room size.

Sorry to insist but IMHO we still know too little about the other parts of your system and preferences to be of any help. All we are writing are the usual manifestations of love and hate of our members towards equipment. Not all 99 dB speakers are created equal, and source can not be ignored in this thread. In order to have the deepest and widest sound stage you have to own the proper speaker in a 20 m2 room - I had great sound in a similar size room with big speakers, but the deepest and widest sound stage was created with monitor type speakers, such as B&WSS25 or Sonus Faber Amator.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You can save a lot using Zeel cable like Mike.

one advantage of 'zeel' is the relative absence of interconnect echo's, which translate into precision in the soundstage when doing full orchestral. the harder I push things the more what I hear is unique in my experience.

like many things, at modest listening levels with simple music lots of approaches are sufficient, but when stressed, the optimal approaches separate themselves.

just my opinion and based on my experience and reading about Herve's thoughts on this subject.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
It seems Dartzeel is the overwhelming favourite here. I would love to hear any Boulder or FM or Gryphon owner to share more. :)

Hello Hieukm

As a Boulder owner i can honestly say
1) the jump from merely excellent to state of the art is significant. My system now operates in a realm i did not know existed

2)i have never heard any brand perform as well as the big Boulder.
However the only other contenders i feel drawn towards, which by repute, also exhibit magical musicality, would be the hybrid Tenor 350m hp monos and the SET Wavac 833's. Which is topical, as I'm currently weighing up whether to upgrade to Boulder 2160 or one of the two mentioned above. These are truly for the music lovers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
C0150CD6-5CB1-4C8C-8E37-72D13D792903.jpeg

Reactions: lordcloud

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Which model?

I have Cessaro Qian Long field coil speaker. The rest of the system is simple. Digital streamig only. Chord Dave + Blu2. Theone music server coming. Soulution 5 series electronics. Kuro, Argento and Furutech dps-4 cables. All tripoint grounding boxes. Custom isolation transformer and power conditioner.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have Cessaro Qian Long field coil speaker. The rest of the system is simple. Digital streamig only. Chord Dave + Blu2. Theone music server coming. Soulution 5 series electronics. Kuro, Argento and Furutech dps-4 cables. All tripoint grounding boxes. Custom isolation transformer and power conditioner.

SS amps used on horns seem to be dart, FM, and Vitus. Adyc moved from Aries cerat set amps to Dartzeel for his AC horns. So maybe you can rotate those three to check which you will find best. Dartzeel and Vitus should be easier to demo. FM you will need to find an used pair. So is the assumption correct that you have ruled out valves?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Wow ... Congratulations!

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
SS amps used on horns seem to be dart, FM, and Vitus. Adyc moved from Aries cerat set amps to Dartzeel for his AC horns. So maybe you can rotate those three to check which you will find best. Dartzeel and Vitus should be easier to demo. FM you will need to find an used pair. So is the assumption correct that you have ruled out valves?

Yes tube is out of the question at the moment because my listening habit and room condition. My speaker is not horn though. Adyc move definately spiked my interest for Dart. Demoing is tough at my location as dealer is not that helpful.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Again, So? I have heard Vitus many times now and the result is that I don't find the sound very appealing. I don't need a compare for this. I have heard wonderful and also somewhat boring demonstrations with Kondo...mostly wonderful. Jadis has also been a mixed bag and the only one I have found to sound consistently good is the relatively affordable Defy 7 in various versions. The JA30 is also good. I haven't heard one of their SETs (but the 300B measurements in Stereophile make even a SET lover cringe) but would love to hear the 845 model someday.

I have compared Vitus Masterpiece pre with Boulder 2110 and Wavac pr-t1 in my system, driving Boulder 2060.
Vitus was relatively sterile, very unappealing, complete absence of musicality.
Boulder was awesome, a real contender that i could live with, and extended highs above and bass below my reference points. Which as a confessed bass freak, should have been decisive.
And yet, and here I'm in agreement with others who prefer a valve pre amp and ss power amp, the tone and musicality of the Wavac was unsurpassed.

In the next fortnight i have a dealer bringing the Vitus Masterpiece monoblocks here, i will report back, but I'm not holding my breath.

In conclusion, you really do need to hear a 2100 series power amp from Boulder. They are simply head and shoulders beyond anything else i have experienced; such exquisite delicacy combined with awesome power in the service of absolute musicality

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes tube is out of the question at the moment because my listening habit and room condition. My speaker is not horn though. Adyc move definately spiked my interest for Dart. Demoing is tough at my location as dealer is not that helpful.

Although I have no detailed information on your speakers, field coil speakers create their efficiency using very strong magnetic fields in the speaker gaps - very different from typical horns. Probably Cessaro uses solid state electronics to control the coil current.

I was interested in this subject some time ago - I remember that some people felt that field coil speaker sounded musical on the warm side - but probably because they were traditionally used with mellow tubes! How would you briefly describe their sound?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree that boulder has more highs and bass than Vitus and power especially for focal, and in a large room. However, for Cessaro in a small room both will sound powerful. I prefer flow and tone of Vitus on classical, but there we can have different preferences

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Although I have no detailed information on your speakers, field coil speakers create their efficiency using very strong magnetic fields in the speaker gaps - very different from typical horns. Probably Cessaro uses solid state electronics to control the coil current.

I was interested in this subject some time ago - I remember that some people felt that field coil speaker sounded musical on the warm side - but probably because they were traditionally used with mellow tubes! How would you briefly describe their sound?

They sound wonderfully warm with great tone density and very detailed and fast. It suits my most listening genre in vocal and classical. Due to my small size room, coherence is not ideal but it really draws me into the music. Listening to orchestra is a pleasure due to a very large wide sound stage with excellent 3D image. Although the latter part was also contributed by other tweaks as well

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Any thoughts on the Nagra HD pre + amp combination? The build for the amp looks not up to par compare to other heavy weight. It seems the tone and resolution is top notch.

Neither tone, resolution, are top notch, and bass, drive and slam are particularly weak. Pre is better than the power.

Totally disagree.

Had both Nagra HD amps and Soulution 511's on Magicos.......The HD amps are wider, deeper and more delicate. Bass is unbelievably detailed. Resolution is outstanding. Highly recommended

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Any thoughts on the Nagra HD pre + amp combination? The build for the amp looks not up to par compare to other heavy weight. It seems the tone and resolution is top notch.

Totally disagree.

Had both Nagra HD amps and Soulution 511's on Magicos.......The HD amps are wider, deeper and more delicate. Bass is unbelievably detailed. Resolution is outstanding. Highly recommended

Didn’t you sell the Nagra sir?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing