Eggleston Ivy

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
Anybody compared the sound of a IVY with a Alexandria or similar?

I know the Alexandria XLF and the Sonus Faber Aida. Never heard the IVY.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anybody compared the sound of a IVY with a Alexandria or similar?

I know the Alexandria XLF and the Sonus Faber Aida. Never heard the IVY.

+1...I also would like to hear from anyone who has heard the Ivy. I too have heard the XLF and Aida.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just checking in on this...anyone have any thoughts about the big Eggleston Ivy Signatures?

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
I have heard the Alexandria XLF Sonus faber Aida Q7 Q5 S3 Avalon ISIS a lot, but the IVY just play the music with out problems.

Next week I go to the IVY customer Momentum preamplifier, he just got the Audia Flight NO 8 mono blocks, and the week after I have to go to 6 floor Q7 with a crane, if will be fun.

10882215_10153029207595337_6468250512857756127_n[1].jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
6th floor with a crane? Now THAT is dedication! I think I would have a heart attack watching that install.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm looking forward to watching that!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Vassago,

How does the Ivy compare in your opinion to XLF? I have not heard Q7 but have heard Q5. I am most curious about the reference speaker for the likes of Bob Ludwig.

Meanwhile, I read witih great interest that Dato Han (Mono & Stereo contributor) owned Ivys in his personal system...and recently bought all Vitus Masterpiece electronic and Gryphon Pendragon.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
My favourite dynamic speaker is Q7. Awesome . As for Ivy it's so hugh & with so many drivers 24 or 26 it's not easy to get it right & u certainly need a big room for the 7 footer to breath properly . Don't quite like the bass. However my preferred speakers would be Pendragon if u can get the coherency right with 4 panel speakers . Once heard it with Audio note M10 & is sold on M10 signature as the best preamp I would want to own but it's just too pricey

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My favourite dynamic speaker is Q7. Awesome . As for Ivy it's so hugh & with so many drivers 24 or 26 it's not easy to get it right & u certainly need a big room for the 7 footer to breath properly . Don't quite like the bass. However my prefer speakers would be Pendragon if u can get the coherency right with 4 panel speakers . Once heard it with Audio note M10 & is sold on M10 signature as the best preamp I would want to own but it's just too pricey

Interesting...why Pendragon over Q7? I have heard many Magico speakers Q1, 3, 5, V2, V3, S1, S5 but not Q7 (nor Pendragon).

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I m not saying I prefer Pendragon to Q7 because it's not easy to get the coherency right . Also can 8" dynamic bass drivers catch up with the ribbon midrange ? Individually they are v good . So if coherency can be done right , Pendragon would be an awesome speakers . However personally for the money , I would probably buy Rockport . As for scale , I think not many speakers can reach the level of 4 panel speakers like Pendragon

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I m not saying I prefer Pendragon to Q7 because it's not easy to get the coherency right . Also can 8" dynamic bass drivers catch up with the ribbon midrange ? Individually they are v good . So if coherency can be done right , Pendragon would be an awesome speakers . However personally for the money , I would probably buy Rockport . As for scale , I think not many speakers can reach the level of 4 panel speakers like Pendragon

Yes, I like the Arrakis, and spoken with someone who knew both Rockport and Gryphon speakers and said intuitively he would go Arrakis over Pendragon. But clearly considered both to be top class.

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Hi Vassago,

How does the Ivy compare in your opinion to XLF? I have not heard Q7 but have heard Q5. I am most curious about the reference speaker for the likes of Bob Ludwig.

Meanwhile, I read witih great interest that Dato Han (Mono & Stereo contributor) owned Ivys in his personal system...and recently bought all Vitus Masterpiece electronic and Gryphon Pendragon.

The Ivy is the best, total bass control and soundstages in top... Wilson hm no control in the bass, the best speaker the have made is the sophia 3, dont think of the price just hear what the do. ... Q7 is good.

I have sold some Big speaker up to now the last 10 years and the Ivy is the best...

egg.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...interesting.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hmmm from what I have heard over 2/3 years in a top end syst , Ivy is tough to drive when it has something like 19 drivers per speaker. Definitely not top end to me . My 2cts worth of opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing