DS Audio Grand Master + EMM Labs DS-EQ1

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been mulling how to step up my vinyl for a while. I was serious about a DS unit. I opted a different route for a couple reasons. I am concerned people talking about snapping off the stylus. That is something I could see mself doing. I only wanted to get in about $5k. Hearing the 003 is a good value, but the EMM lab brings the game on priced me out.

I bought a Hageran MC Trumpet today. Paid and in the mail already. Plus I already have some very nice 12AX7 and 12AU7 so.I have tubes to role.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just want to share my video with DSAudio Grand master for those who are interested. You tube downgraded the sound a lot but hope you still get some idea.

Do you have another cartridge that you can do that on to show the difference? Also any classical LPs?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just want to share my video with DSAudio Grand master for those who are interested. You tube downgraded the sound a lot but hope you still get some idea.
Also, what are you using for recording?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for sharing that. That is a remarkable demo and fascinating as that is exactly the track that convinced me to get the Grand Master as well. I had actually thought I was done with vinyl. I have a more modest system but the guitar solo is simply remarkable on the Grand Master. Of interest what are the speakers? I recognize most of the other gear.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Beautiful. Remarkable really. Looks like a torus subwoofer. What amps are you using, if you don't mind me asking. If you ever get a chance to listen to the EMM labs DS-Eq1, do so. Its quite fascinating the difference between it and the DS audio. Both are great but somewhat different. A system like yours would demonstrate the two beautifully. Enjoy

Reactions: gds7368

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Beautiful. Remarkable really. Looks like a torus subwoofer. What amps are you using, if you don't mind me asking. If you ever get a chance to listen to the EMM labs DS-Eq1, do so. Its quite fascinating the difference between it and the DS audio. Both are great but somewhat different. A system like yours would demonstrate the two beautifully. Enjoy
I’m seriously considering a Grand Master with the Master 1 EQ. Can you describe the difference between the Master 1 EQ and the EMM Labs unit?

Ackcheng

Dec 26, 2011
digitalroomcorrection.hk
Thanks. My amps are DIY as well but the outlook is similar to FM. I used modules from Aussie amps/Holton which are class AB. Yes. Torus subwoofer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I’m seriously considering a Grand Master with the Master 1 EQ. Can you describe the difference between the Master 1 EQ and the EMM Labs unit?
fbhifi I am by no means an expert, but my impression was the Emm labs is brilliant in the upper end and mid range, and very solid in the bass. It is extremely natural, if I can use the term, and artists that I have heard in person seem like they are almost in the room (actually in the room in some cases). The Master 1 EQ is also extremely good, with some more bottom end. For me, the price difference is substantial, the Emm is less than half the price. Its footprint is also much smaller. My wife would not be impressed if I had gone the other way :)

TLi

May 27, 2016
I like Grand Master more. It doesn’t mean Etsuro Gold is not good but Grand Master is just a little more natural.

Reactions: hogen

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ackcheng, could you please explain how you made these videos? I appreciate the comparison. Did you have two cameras set up, one hand held for the needle drop and then one on the tripod at the listening seat? The sound presentation does not change from one to the other, and there is no break in the music from the hand held view to the fixed position view. Also, I hear the vinyl surface noise in the first video before the needle hits the record. I was expecting silence. I guess I'm just confused about the method you used to make these two videos. Thank you.

Ackcheng

Dec 26, 2011
digitalroomcorrection.hk
PeterA, You are perfectly correct. I was sitting at my prime seat all along for taking these videos. But that would be too boring showing my speakers only, so i took a short clip showing my turntable and overlay it on the original clip.

I took it binaurally. I used DPA4060 with one microphone put inside my right ear and the other one left eye. I used dpa MMA iphone adaptor.

IMG_0635.PNG

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for that explanation. It makes sense. The comparison involves both the different cartridges and the different arms. I find it difficult to attribute the sound heard to just the cartridges. Do you have a preference between the two arms, and also between the two cartridges? I always find it difficult to make such comparisons, even if only one variable changes, because the set up process may always be slightly different. I guess we do the best we can until satisfied.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing