Dreaming About a New Cartridge

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Technically, an ideal FET has lower distortion than an ideal tube...

In the 80's some mods carved open the bottom of the body and replaced with a piece of tape to reduce mass. Anybody else remember "skeletonized" cartridges?

I wonder if I am the only one who never really cared for Koetsu cartridges? I remember when they were the darling of TAS and the various "elite" audiophiles, but while they sounded good to me, they wouldn't track for squat and I found their real-world performance fairly attrocious...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have always wondered what that white tape at the bottom of the body is there for? I once had a Lyra modified nude Koetsu and it also had a tape under the body. Good thing it does not fall off in time.

I thought it was part of the packing!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have always wondered what that white tape at the bottom of the body is there for? I once had a Lyra modified nude Koetsu and it also had a tape under the body. Good thing it does not fall off in time.

It's not tape...was it Wasabi paper or something like that? Just there to protect dirt from getting into the generator.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's not tape...was it Wasabi paper or something like that? Just there to protect dirt from getting into the generator.

Ah, for dirt protection. I'm sure the adhesive is super tight as all models seems to have this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing