Doors SACD's

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Any love out there for the newly released Doors SACD's?

Looks like they've upsampled to DSD from the 24/96 DVD-A masters of a few years back that came from the original tapes.

Still, better than cd?

I already have the dvda's.

Any love out there for the newly released Doors SACD's?

Looks like they've upsampled to DSD from the 24/96 DVD-A masters of a few years back that came from the original tapes.

Still, better than cd?

Totally incorrect information. These were archived to DSD directly from the analog master tapes by Analogue Productions.

The only exception is the first album, and that is because every known copy was running to fast.

The ONLY way to produce the album running at the correct speed was to remix it.

The DVD-As are ALL remixes.

I know and they sound great plus the cd's are worlds better then the original cd releases which were barely above doo-doo.

The 45 LPs are fantastic!

I have two of the Analogue Productions SACD's: "The Doors"; and "LA Woman":) As with most all of the AP SACD's I've purchased so far, they are extremely good sonically. I plan on buying lots more AP SACD's as they're released as IMO AP produces some of the best quality high resolution albums available.

Thanks all, for the feedback, reason for the query is that the box set of SACDs is available for pre-order. A friend was due to drop LA Woman around today and figured it'd be good to hear what people felt about the rest before taking the plunge.

Hi Andre Marc, the information passed in the op was from the friend,

Totally incorrect information. These were archived to DSD directly from the analog master tapes by Analogue Productions.

The only exception is the first album, and that is because every known copy was running to fast.

The ONLY way to produce the album running at the correct speed was to remix it.

I now have the LA Woman SACD (Analogue Productions) and it does sound good. I'll quote from the inlay;

''The multichannel program comes from the original 96k, 24-bit files mixed and mastered by Bruce Botnick for the DVD Audio Doors/Perception release. Those mixes were made from the original, multi-track, 15 i.p.s. analog master tapes. For the SACDs, the mixes were up-sampled without filters to DSD.''

I've asked and this is where he got his info from. It'd be great to hear that this is incorrect?

Thanks all, for the feedback, reason for the query is that the box set of SACDs is available for pre-order. A friend was due to drop LA Woman around today and figured it'd be good to hear what people felt about the rest before taking the plunge.

Hi Andre Marc, the information passed in the op was from the friend,

I now have the LA Woman SACD (Analogue Productions) and it does sound good. I'll quote from the inlay;

''The multichannel program comes from the original 96k, 24-bit files mixed and mastered by Bruce Botnick for the DVD Audio Doors/Perception release. Those mixes were made from the original, multi-track, 15 i.p.s. analog master tapes. For the SACDs, the mixes were up-sampled without filters to DSD.''

I've asked and this is where he got his info from. It'd be great to hear that this is incorrect?

Your friend is CORRECT..but this refers to the MULTI CHANNEL MIXES. The Stereo mixes are the ORIGINALS, from the analog masters.

Chad made no bones about the fact the multi channel mixes, which he considered just a bonus feature, are from the 96/24 multi track archives that Bruce Botnick.

Rest assured, the STEREO mixes are true DSD captures, not PCM upsampled.:)

Your friend is CORRECT..but this refers to the MULTI CHANNEL MIXES. The Stereo mixes are the ORIGINALS, from the analog masters.

Chad made no bones about the fact the multi channel mixes, which he considered just a bonus feature, are from the 96/24 multi track archives that Bruce Botnick.

Rest assured, the STEREO mixes are true DSD captures, not PCM upsampled.:)

That's great to hear, thanks. LA Woman sounds very good so the box set's a must.

That's great to hear, thanks. LA Woman sounds very good so the box set's a must.

Trust me, it is on my list! I am just deciding on an SACD player. I had at the flagship Marantz here for a while but was
just sent back.

I am leaning towards the Marantz Limited Edition 15s2B. There are not too many other players in the $2000 range.
And probably none this good.

Trust me, it is on my list! I am just deciding on an SACD player. I had at the flagship Marantz here for a while but was
just sent back.

I am leaning towards the Marantz Limited Edition 15s2B. There are not too many other players in the $2000 range.
And probably none this good.

I've an EMM CDSA, love it, even as it drops in value like a stone LOL. A friend has a Marantz 8003, great for the money, expect their upper end models are also good though no experience of them.

Andre, there is also the Oppo BDP-105 for only $1,199 :b ...Plays the multichannel SACD layer as well.
...And hi-res DSD audio music files too.

Ah yes. I saw it in TAS. I have Opp Blu Ray player in my home theater.

Thanks for reminding me. The purist in me says all the extra stuff..video, networking, file playback etc might
compromise pure SACD two channel playback, but that is just in theory. I should check this out.

I've an EMM CDSA, love it, even as it drops in value like a stone LOL. A friend has a Marantz 8003, great for the money, expect their upper end models are also good though no experience of them.

That is a great unit. I have not heard a bad EMM player. The Marantz 8004 is even a step up from the 8003, and that goes for a $900.

However, I think the Marantz Reference players are in a different league.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing