DOES ANYONE REGRET BUYING A TAIKO EXTREME SERVER? ANYTHING BETTER?

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I was referring to the Wadax Reference line.

But was just joking. I regard audio equipment like actors--the ones that get paid more money for a single unit than most people make in three lifetimes get to be harpooned relentlessly without apology. Comes with the territory for making that much money without saving a life. Those are the rules.

Doesn't mean I do not live movies and music. I do. More than can be expressed in words. But their price tags warrant a level of musing.
OH! The Wadax. Yep definite toaster oven.

Reactions: AThrillOfHope

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
OK. Maybe the question should be Is this a "white elephant."
Just what does it do as opposed to wi-fi or just plucking it out of the air over your smart phone or Ipad[TM]. I think streamers are redundant. I' m just saying.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: Zarir

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
OK. Maybe the question should be Is this a "white elephant."
Just what does it do as opposed to wi-fi or just plucking it of the air over your smart phone or Ipad[TM]. I think streamers are redundant. I' m just saying.:(
This is best described if you read one of the many reviews of the Extreme.
Digital is not all the same because digital signals are actually sent as analog - there is so such thing as sending a 1 or 0 digitally, it’s all sent as analog waveforms.
That’s why Everything along the chain makes a difference.
of course, if you’re not trying to recreate a concert call and it’s just background music, then it doesn’t matter ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is best described if you read one of the many reviews of the Extreme.
Digital is not all the same because digital signals are actually sent as analog - there is so such thing as sending a 1 or 0 digitally, it’s all sent as analog waveforms.
That’s why Everything along the chain makes a difference.
of course, if you’re not trying to recreate a concert call and it’s just background music, then it doesn’t matter ;)
It would be easy to make a generic rebuttal. I assume we are trying to be specific. The question is do I want to chase that rabbit down the hole? Probably not. I just did not hear any difference with a streamer. Maybe I will get to hear the Horizon sans Extreme at CAF 2022.

Reactions: Daverich4

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It would be easy to make a generic rebuttal. I assume we are trying to be specific. The question is do I want to chase that rabbit down the hole? Probably not. I just did not hear any difference with a streamer. Maybe I will get to hear the Horizon sans Extreme at CAF 2022.
We are not about the Extreme, not generic streamers. You will definitely hear a difference with the Taiko — it’s not subtle!
Try to hear it, if you are ready to spend the $$$. Otherwise, best not to even listen (my view, anyway).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think I heard the Extreme at the Horizon launch.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The app has not been officially released yet, so I don't know. You can use the Extreme with Roon; but the sound quality is vastly better with XDMS.
I’m with you on the sound quality. That’s why I rarely stream and instead use reference CD transports that cost as much or more than the Taiko. :)

But for many of the folks that use and enjoy and love rune, one of the most compelling features is the recommendation engine that serves up more of the music they enjoy

Reactions: Zeotrope

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
This thread began January 2021 and there has been ample time for negative Taiko comments. There haven’t been any. Seems to me that Taiko Extreme owners are very happy with them.

A friend of mine has one and he’s ecstatic about it, zero regrets. It appears to be an outstanding product.
Charles

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I think when one gets to this level of gear nobody is going to regret whatever they purchase. I believe it is about personal preference.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I think when one gets to this level of gear nobody is going to regret whatever they purchase. I believe it is about personal preference.
The problem might be that not all listened to a Taiko before purchasing their server. :cool:

Matt

Reactions: christoph

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
The problem might be that not all listened to a Taiko before purchasing their server. :cool:

Matt
Curious when you purchased your Taiko did you demo it in your system with other servers, listen to it at a dealer, or purchase without listening to it? I do know a few purchased without listening to it.

Reactions: christoph

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I’m with you on the sound quality. That’s why I rarely stream and instead use reference CD transports that cost as much or more than the Taiko. :)

But for many of the folks that use and enjoy and love rune, one of the most compelling features is the recommendation engine that serves up more of the music they enjoy
What are the reference level CD Transports you’re referring to? This is a matured technology at this juncture and certainly capable of (With a suitably quality DAC) sublime sound quality, no doubt.
Charles

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Curious when you purchased your Taiko did you demo it in your system with other servers, listen to it at a dealer, or purchase without listening to it? I do know a few purchased without listening to it.
I did not listen to it before purchasing. There’s really no need. I read all the reviews. There’s nothing better, so what’s not to like?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Of course you can regret it! If it sucks or doesn’t perform as well as you hoped, you’re going to regret it big time!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I did not listen to it before purchasing. There’s really no need. I read all the reviews. There’s nothing better, so what’s not to like?
Clearly everyone has different ways they purchase gear. For me I have to listen to the product in my setup. That is the only way I can determine which product is right for me. I don't put my faith and money in the hands of a review or what people say on a forum. I use reviews and posts to find out about products, then listen to the ones I find promising to make my final decision.

Hey everyone is different and nothing wrong with that.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Clearly everyone has different ways they purchase gear. For me I have to listen to the product in my setup. That is the only way I can determine which product is right for me. I don't put my faith and money in the hands of a review or what people say on a forum. I use reviews and posts to find out about products, then listen to the ones I find promising to make my final decision.

Hey everyone is different and nothing wrong with that.
That’s all fine and good when possible. There are certain situations where you will only be able to listen, only if you purchase the product.

Most (Vast majority I’m sure) would prefer an audition opportunity prior to buying. This scenario isn’t always available.
Charles

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes, under ideal conditions, you would be able to audition everything in your setup before committing to buy. But it’s often not possible. Auditioning in a different room with different gear is not worth much, as there are too many variables at play.
With a component like the Extreme, there are literally zero negative reviews and the consensus is unanimous: that there is nothing better. So this obviated the need to audition (in my view). It was more about how to afford it, and if it would fit in my small room with (very) limited space. Emile (founder and CEO) was beyond helpful, so that sealed the deal.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
That’s all fine and good when possible. There are certain situations where you will only be able to listen, only if you purchase the product.

Most (Vast majority I’m sure) would prefer an audition opportunity prior to buying. This scenario isn’t always available.
Charles
I agree. For me when I run into that situation where I can't demo something I am interested in buying, I just remove it from consideration. Over the years I have had plenty of gear I was looking to purchase that for one reason on another I couldn't. I just moved on to something else.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
With a component like the Extreme, there are literally zero negative reviews and the consensus is unanimous: that there is nothing better.
Sorry but for me I could not come to that conclusion based on what others say. Not sure how someone can say what is better or worse or what they prefer without listening to it. Again this is just me and everyone is different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing