Do you know my name?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is a three way mini momotpr made by infinity. It has powered woofer that ie side firing. It may has come as part of a sysrem.
There is no model number
View attachment 130144[/ATTACH]20240504_162507.jpg

Looks like an Infinity Composition Overture 1 Those are about 4" drivers and an 8 on the side? You have a working pair?

Rob :)

Reactions: DonH50
t am not sure if they are working. I warn to get a manual. it would make a great project.
3" midrange about 1/4" tweeter.

Here's the service manual just in case, Best of luck with them.

Attachments

• OVTR1 sm.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: DonH50
Thanks guys.
They came with some nice stands.
I was thinking about sending them to a place like GR Research to get them spec 'd out.
The appear to be relatively inefficient. Would they benefit from some high-quality amplification? Tubes or solid state?

Thanks guys.
I was thinking about sending them to a place like GR Research to get them spec 'd out.
The appear to be relatively inefficient. Would they benefit from some high-quality amplification? Tubes or solid state?

GR research! Why! At least see if you can get them up and running first. I remember them as sounding good for such a small box.

I wouldn't start to do crossover parts upgrades which is probably how it will go if you send them out. You are going to get back what he feels measures best not what you sent.

Reactions: analogsa
You never know what's going on inside, but it looks great.
I don 'have tan integrated amp.
I think there is an AVR receiver somewhere around the house. I am going to dig it out.
No worry. I will take my time.

Thanks guys.
I am not a fan of GR Research but whatever. There are other places to measure them, but I would just see if they work first, and if not check the fuses, then send them to a regular tech.

They are 92 dB/W/m so moderate sensitivity, and I think they have a powered woofer, so tube or SS would be your choice (either should work). They are 8-ohm nominal but at 92 dB/W/m I would not drive them with a low-powered SET but a regular 50~100 W tube or SS amp unless you are very close to them.

If I recall correctly, these came out after Infinity's "heyday" when they made the IRS and such, but before the more recent line that strikes me as pretty meh for such a (once) great company. So they are likely decent sounding speakers worthy of restoring. I had some Alphas (or Betas, forget) that were pretty decent speakers but did not really rise above the crowd IMO. One of my boys has them now and is happy with them. I still remember my old IRS 2 fondly.

Betas I rink.

I am not a fan of GR Research but whatever. There are other places to measure them, but I would just see if they work first, and if not check the fuses, then send them to a regular tech.

They are 92 dB/W/m so moderate sensitivity, and I think they have a powered woofer, so tube or SS would be your choice (either should work). They are 8-ohm nominal but at 92 dB/W/m I would not drive them with a low-powered SET but a regular 50~100 W tube or SS amp unless you are very close to them.

If I recall correctly, these came out after Infinity's "heyday" when they made the IRS and such, but before the more recent line that strikes me as pretty meh for such a (once) great company. So they are likely decent sounding speakers worthy of restoring. I had some Alphas (or Betas, forget) that were pretty decent speakers but did not really rise above the crowd IMO. One of my boys has them now and is happy with them. I still remember my old IRS 2 fondly.
IRS2 A in IRS v previous ?

Infinity to me made a few good models of note
the Rs1b or even 1 were good own a pair
the beta to me had a midrange to die for
The large panels I think was great
but they could not play loud as one driver was used above the two lower mid panels
after them I’m not so sure what happened

IRS2 A in IRS v previous ?
Sorry, not sure I follow...

Infinity had what I considered a premier line with the IRS at the top, way back when I was more involved in audio (say late 1970's to early 1990's). The company almost disappeared, then was reborn as more of a midrange but competent line, then became more of a low/mid range speaker line with the exception of their car stereo speakers. Maybe; I quit following them (and much of audio) around the late 1990's/early 2000's as other facets of life took over. This is all just my opinion so could well be wrong.

I am really impressed by Gary Kohl and crew creating Genesis from the ashes of Infinity.

Infinity had what I considered a premier line with the IRS at the top, way back when I was more involved in audio (say late 1970's to early 1990's). The company almost disappeared, then was reborn as more of a midrange but competent line, then became more of a low/mid range speaker line with the exception of their car stereo speakers. Maybe; I quit following them (and much of audio) around the late 1990's/early 2000's as other facets of life took over. This is all just my opinion so could well be wrong.

I am really impressed by Gary Kohl and crew creating Genesis from the ashes of Infinity.
I am not sure about that lineage. From the beginning, Genesis was Arnie Nudell after Infinity.

Reactions: Alrainbow
I am not sure about that lineage. From the beginning, Genesis was Arnie Nudell after Infinity.
Sorry Kal, I stand corrected! I forgot Arnie was the (ahem) genesis of Genesis! I miss that guy...

What I meant was little is known of the IRS series overall
when I planned on doing a complete restore of my own set I went digging and spoke and emailed plenty of folk
While no one knows or took time to make notes on the line this is some stuff I put together
the first gen was IRS 1 then 2 then 3 never was a 4 bad luck thing in Asia so I was told
now what happened to 1-2/3 well Arnie has a good thing at making owners to update them.
I’ll bet he was making good money on this alone
the smaller model RS1 and 2 also got updates
I own a pair of RS1b as well
while they have a similar look they have very little in common
the RS was a 4 way IRS are 3 way
RS was a combination of line and point source
only the woofers were a line source
back then since Arnie was the leading authority on audio
he had owners swap a fairly new stuff to get upgraded
RS 1 became 1A then 1B imagine two updates in 1 line.
the IRS did this too. but I’ve never seen any as IRS 1/2/3 only 5 or 3
IRS 3 has weaker magnets
5 has much more powerful ones
some think it was sound , while some say they could hear it
I can say newer ones played louder at same power
he wanted more efficiency as most loved tube amps
so Arnie asked the amp maker to improve his woofer tower amps
old 1/2/3 were 1500 watts
new are 2000 watts but now work on lower imp on woofers
doubled up all
2 power transformers
Doubled output devices and capacitors
the maker had some funny stories of Arnie
lastly how many
well story goes as follows
the maker was asked to make 100 pairs of new amps
a total of 200 pcs
Paid him and he delivered them
now how many are used no one knows
serial numbers for IRS V does not help
but imagine 1500 pounds 4 towers new amps
new magnets on 100 drivers
12 new woofers
Never could find out for sure if they were shipped
or someone came to you.

best guess is 70 pcs or so.

genesis owned now by Gary has improved and in many ways re engineered the line.
I’m very grateful to have met him
Arnie sold Infinity and created genesis
Gary I think hired Arnie and Paul of PS audio to make him a set of speakers
then bought the company
Gary is hands down the most valuable, informative
And presenter of audio.
some of what audio rooms do now is as him
how he can explain why is a master class on audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum
What I meant was little is known of the IRS series overall
when I planned on doing a complete restore of my own set I went digging and spoke and emailed plenty of folk
While no one knows or took time to make notes on the line this is some stuff I put together
the first gen was IRS 1 then 2 then 3 never was a 4 bad luck thing in Asia so I was told
now what happened to 1-2/3 well Arnie has a good thing at making owners to update them.
I’ll bet he was making good money on this alone
the smaller model RS1 and 2 also got updates
I own a pair of RS1b as well
while they have a similar look they have very little in common
the RS was a 4 way IRS are 3 way
RS was a combination of line and point source
only the woofers were a line source
back then since Arnie was the leading authority on audio
he had owners swap a fairly new stuff to get upgraded
RS 1 became 1A then 1B imagine two updates in 1 line.
the IRS did this too. but I’ve never seen any as IRS 1/2/3 only 5 or 3
IRS 3 has weaker magnets
5 has much more powerful ones
some think it was sound , while some say they could hear it
I can say newer ones played louder at same power
he wanted more efficiency as most loved tube amps
so Arnie asked the amp maker to improve his woofer tower amps
old 1/2/3 were 1500 watts
new are 2000 watts but now work on lower imp on woofers
doubled up all
2 power transformers
Doubled output devices and capacitors
the maker had some funny stories of Arnie
lastly how many
well story goes as follows
the maker was asked to make 100 pairs of new amps
a total of 200 pcs
Paid him and he delivered them
now how many are used no one knows
serial numbers for IRS V does not help
but imagine 1500 pounds 4 towers new amps
new magnets on 100 drivers
12 new woofers
Never could find out for sure if they were shipped
or someone came to you.

best guess is 70 pcs or so.

genesis owned now by Gary has improved and in many ways re engineered the line.
I’m very grateful to have met him
Arnie sold Infinity and created genesis
Gary I think hired Arnie and Paul of PS audio to make him a set of speakers
then bought the company
Gary is hands down the most valuable, informative
And presenter of audio.
some of what audio rooms do now is as him
how he can explain why is a master class on audio.

Looking at your post figured I would share these in case you don't have them. I don't have anything on the earlier systems.

Attachments

• IRS V ts.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IRSVsys sm.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Tu be sure the best French fry the world changes from batch to batch. On occasion I have held that tile.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing