Do you have a "Dream Sound" in mind?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When I listen to my music system, I am reminded of the joy I had when first turning on the AM/FM radio I got for Christmas when I was about ten years old. That radio was not as good as the live concerts my parents took me to at the Chicago Symphony or the jazz band I did the bunny hop to with some girl of my dreams at the 4th of July dances when I was a teenager.

My system reminds me of what I hear now as an adult at the Boston Symphony orchestra or the local jazz club. The system is better than that old radio and the one in my truck, but it is not nearly as good as live music. It is somewhere between the two but increasingly sounds more like the latter.

When I sit in front of my system and play a record of my favorite music, I think to myself, "Wow, this is pretty good". I am fortunate and lucky to be able to enjoy this level of sound.

Reactions: Lagonda and Al M.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
When I listen to my music system, I am reminded of the joy I had when first turning on the AM/FM radio I got for Christmas when I was about ten years old. That radio was not as good as the live concerts my parents took me to at the Chicago Symphony or the jazz band I did the bunny hop to with some girl of my dreams at the 4th of July dances when I was a teenager.

My system reminds me of what I hear now as an adult at the Boston Symphony orchestra or the local jazz club. The system is better than that old radio and the one in my truck, but it is not nearly as good as live music. It is somewhere between the two but increasingly sounds more like the latter.

When I sit in front of my system and play a record of my favorite music, I think to myself, "Wow, this is pretty good". I am fortunate and lucky to be able to enjoy this level of sound.

That's great, Peter!
I know that the comparison to live music or other sound reproducing devices is common sense and a wise comparison, but...apart from audio or live music, did you see, for example, a picture, or experienced a moment of your life or even associate a certain feeling with the sound of your system?
The theme you use for the description can be anything you want but something that you would associate with the sound of your system and is not music or live sound.

I know that the proposal can be interpreted as crazy or senseless, but I think it is a rewarding instrospection and something that may teach us to appreciate certain aspects that we, unconsciously, may be ignoring about sound due to the use of a very different perspective.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pretty memorable, wasn't it Marc? Never read that in the audiophile glossary of terms.
Yep, it hooked me right in Lol.
For me, detachment from my system is the key. I don't want to be listening to my system playing music. I want more and more moments where there is a realism that pervades the playback, which over 150 live classical concerts since we moved up here 5 years ago is providing the data points to judge. Recent fundamental changes to my preamp have made digital way less apparent as such, and radical changes to my tt motor and tonearm have literally opened up my sound on LP. Both sources excel, approximate each other without sounding the same, vast majority of previous shortcomings addressed, and absorption/immersion levels during listening sessions are way up. Realism and musicality now the bye-words.

Oops, just realised I've broken all of Augustín's rules for this game Lol.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's great, Peter!
I know that the comparison to live music or other sound reproducing devices is common sense and a wise comparison, but...apart from audio or live music, did you see, for example, a picture, or experienced a moment of your life or even associate a certain feeling with the sound of your system?
The theme you use for the description can be anything you want but something that you would associate with the sound of your system and is not music or live sound.

I know that the proposal can be interpreted as crazy or senseless, but I think it is a rewarding instrospection and something that may teach us to appreciate certain aspects that we, unconsciously, may be ignoring about sound due to the use of a very different perspective.

Marmota, the music from the system can on occasion provoke emotions, images, and memories. For instance, the experiences I have had of sailing into a storm at sea is not unlike some dramatic furboding music like that of Mussorgsky's Night of Bald Mountain or the opening of Scheherazade.

And on the other hand, a calm sunset approach to the mooring is like some soft glowing piano music by Debussy.

I guess the complete grip on one's senses is similar, as is the appreciation of the moment. On some level, the boat and the system fade, and one is left with the senses.

IMG_6087 3.jpg

IMG_2255 2.jpg

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Yep, it hooked me right in Lol.
For me, detachment from my system is the key. I don't want to be listening to my system playing music. I want more and more moments where there is a realism that pervades the playback, which over 150 live classical concerts since we moved up here 5 years ago is providing the data points to judge. Recent fundamental changes to my preamp have made digital way less apparent as such, and radical changes to my tt motor and tonearm have literally opened up my sound on LP. Both sources excel, approximate each other without sounding the same, vast majority of previous shortcomings addressed, and absorption/immersion levels during listening sessions are way up. Realism and musicality now the bye-words.

Oops, just realised I've broken all of Augustín's rules for this game Lol.

LOL
Btw, the best sound description I've heard in my life was by one of my friends, who listened to a pair of IEMs that I had hooked to my cellphone. He, literally said: "sounds dirty, like a cobra's chest". Asking him if he ever licked a cobra's chest to know it started some strong "yo mama" jokes. I still laugh remembering it, that was an awesome day haha
PS: I'm Agustín, but never corrected the Augustín typo because it is kinda impossible to pronounce in english without saying August-in, so I don't mind it :)

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Marmota, the music from the system can on occasion provoke emotions, images, and memories. For instance, the experiences I have had of sailing into a storm at sea is not unlike some dramatic furboding music like that of Mussorgsky's Night of Bald Mountain or the opening of Scheherazade.

And on the other hand, a calm sunset approach to the mooring is like some soft glowing piano music by Debussy.

I guess the complete grip on one's senses is similar, as is the appreciation of the moment. On some level, the boat and the system fade, and one is left with the senses.

View attachment 73874

View attachment 73875

Beautiful pictures, the experience of sailing into a storm at sea must be amazing!
The sonic equivalent of a beautiful sunset must be a gorgeous sound :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, my sound was "car crash audio", summed it up pretty well.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

View attachment 73874

View attachment 73875
I have not reached the state of Zen where i can enjoy primarily classical music like you or Tang, to often the Sandman gets me when i try :rolleyes: But Ravels "Bolero" is a piece i always enjoy, mainly because it conjures up images of Bo Derek in the movie "10" and the many occasions i have used it as prescribed in the movie;)

Reactions: PeterA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tube wise/ analogue i ve realised my dream sound already .
Solid state wise ive got a dream combo in mind an thats Mark levinson 32 / VITUS SS103 sign .
32.jpg

Vitus-Audio-SS-103.jpg

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually after a you tube comparison / investigation :) with Boulder Vitus Dagostino etc
It might actually be this one and maybe with the matching pandora

Gryphon_Audio_Mephisto_Solo.jpg

Reactions: sbnx

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I found some early visits to shows very helpful.
At one here in the UK there was a top end valve system driving a pair of big Avalons that made a big impression upon me.
Later at Munich I still vividly remember hearing a pait of Tannoy Kingdom Royals about the size of a small bookcase (no idea what the amps were). playing in the ballroom Such tremendous speed, agility and sheer joi de vivre to the sound. Totally unsuited to my circumstances, but very impressive.
At I think the same show a pair of the 2012 Quad Electrostaics playing sacred choral music again with valve amps. So pure and atmospheric but probably hopeless with rock music.
Again at Munich the YG Acoustic top of the range Anats with about ten boxes of SS amplification playing some female country music where the voice just hung in the air with a powerful emotional communication and clarity.
All those systems informed my subsequent choices and my attachment to Entreq cables and grounding which make a very audible contribution to the clarity and purity of sound quality of a system.
It was those early experiences which shaped my present system (full details on my profile) but notably a Vitus 030 (previously an 025), YG Signature Kipod passives, MD109 tuner with Nos valves and an SME 20 3, SME V and Etsuro Bordeaux.
To sum up I value a beautiful unsullied sound that differentiates the sounds of the different instruments within a coherent whole together with very good dynamics.
The best I have heard was undoubtedly my visit to Miks (108CY), see my earlier thread, but his heavily modified Rockport Sirius, CS Port and SPJ tts playing through his again heavily modded Rockport speakers is beyond me and most of us.
But a tremendous experience and an unbeatable guide to everyone.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Avalon / levinson was what got me into the high end .
Unfortunately no shows at the moment , as the best way to hear equipment indeed is first hand in a good setting .

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I would like this to be an open minded discussion, something that can help us to advance our understanding of preferences and goals.
Not much to understand in my view. It's all subjective and preferences / goals depends on each listener.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually after a you tube comparison / investigation :) with Boulder Vitus Dagostino etc
It might actually be this one and maybe with the matching pandora

View attachment 77108
I would suggest if you go this route to try either the CJ GAT 2 preamp or the Robert Koda K15EX. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would suggesI t if you go this route to try either the CJ GAT 2 preamp or the Robert Koda K15EX. ;)
It needs to be a solid state pre amp lloyd so no CJ .
I have a tube system already, i could already use the CAT pre with the gryphon amp

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It needs to be a solid state pre amp lloyd so no CJ .
I have a tube system already, i could already use the CAT pre with the gryphon amp
Robert Koda K15EX it is then!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing