Do I want my every day stereo, all out performance

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have - posted thoughts of one already actually
Dammit, I must have missed it.
Can you repeat it for me briefly or do I have to re-read the whole monster thread again? :eek:

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to have both. I have always chased the most intense performance. That which I perceive as most alive and real. That has been a path of tubes. But I always wanted a system with less fuss. I also wanted less noise. No matter the tube amp, I end up with some amount of hum. Oddly, even thought the Dsrtzeel is absolutely dead quiet at the unit and out through the speakers, I wonder if I don't yearn for some noise as I spent years playing electric guitar. There may be an ingrained need for background growl in anticipation of the eruption of noise about to be let loose. Baaa what am I saying.

I get what rando is saying. To me, I always found SS dull at places I heard it. That or not as natural and over emphasized in bass and treble. The Dartzeel is neither of those. Its top and bottom extension and power are quite similar to my SET845. It's incredibly quiet and clean. Yet there is something that breaths a life about it. And that life is presented in a seductive way. It's not in your face like my tubes now seem to me. Its there in an unassuming way. Its just easy to get carried away.

Ultimately the Dartzeel will end up in a living room for daily use and the 845 will end up in a purpose built room.

It should also be noted my perception of the Dartzeel is by no means an absolute on how Dartzeel as a product may truely present. I am using a single ended tube preamp by First Sound to feed it. I believe it is a fantastic match, but I don't know if a Dartzeel preamp with 50 ohm connection might not yield more crack and whip to the playback. Maybe more top and bottom extension. And that will be the milion $ question for myself as I approach the point of having 2 separate rooms. I eventually need a second preamp. To Zeel or not to Zeel.
Rex

I.also added an edit to note, I really don't know if technically one is more correct than the other. My tube amp is basically a custom build. Its no longer a Black Shadow as the input had to be totally rebuilt and the output transformer was replaced with better. Maybe some of my perception of crack and whip is distortion or other issues associated with the original case, input transformer or who knows. I'm listening to the Dartzeel and Qobuz serves up A Great Miracle: Jeremiah Lockwood's Guitar Soli. Its flippin amazing. So alive and fresh sounding. As I said at Fremers, I could live with this.
I am also a total dartz 108 fan. The model 1 was my fave SS amp, and among my fave, period. But I found the model 2 to be a VERY significant upgrade, just better all the way around. Firmer bass, more resolution, and no compromise on the quality of highs and overall musicality. Had to let go of it, went to a friend who loves it. But boy do I miss it.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am also a total dartz 108 fan. The model 1 was my fave SS amp, and among my fave, period. But I found the model 2 to be a VERY significant upgrade, just better all the way around. Firmer bass, more resolution, and no compromise on the quality of highs and overall musicality. Had to let go of it, went to a friend who loves it. But boy do I miss it.
What are you liking now?

Reactions: MattyW

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Im always confused how a new model can be so much better where at the time it was new the heavens opened up. then a new model it’s clear this is much better hahaha. So can it be it’s actually different not better in a momentous way ?? I’m not knocking it’s new claim but I am saying the approach to a new product needs to be adjusted. when I hear a new product that at first Listen it may gleam a wow , I sit back to use it over many days for things to settle
then I go back to what I had and it mostly seems different. like great food new can be over whelming
and I can jump to this is amazing.
lasltly not to derail the thread but did any speaker get adjustEd or even interconnects ?
in my time anytime I hear my known music as like new this is a great change. And I have no doubt the new amps might be giving you this. but a point can be made to is it better or a new view to the mountain top.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Rex your post is correct one should adjust things to get the most out of the change. As for what you like it’s your choice not others who claim there
correct. while they might be under certain conditions you not them must like it.
Take a given system tuned how I like it. Over time I realized the types of guitar used was wrong. but it was my choice

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
…North York (Toronto) Canada
Easy for me. I have what would be described as a great casual A/V system in our bed/sitting room that gets used most of the day. Fabulous for TV as well as casual wee hour listening. Main attributes: extended listening without one iota of listening fatigue and extremely natural vocal presentation.

My main system invites total involvement. It transports me to the venue and deeply involves me in the performance. I’ve run the same speakers in my main system for well over 40 years now and with my recent purchase of all new electronics has reached a performance and involvement level and revelation of nuance and detail I couldn’t previously had considered possible.
I'm one very happy music listener with two systems doing exactly what I want them to.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Well you live with one everyday, and I was describing the difference heard between two amps during an afternoons visit to Rex's house ;)

Is your 108 an original (mk1)? Just curious...

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Easy for me. I have what would be described as a great casual A/V system in our bed/sitting room that gets used most of the day. Fabulous for TV as well as casual wee hour listening. Main attributes: extended listening without one iota of listening fatigue and extremely natural vocal presentation.

My main system invites total involvement. It transports me to the venue and deeply involves me in the performance. I’ve run the same speakers in my main system for well over 40 years now and with my recent purchase of all new electronics has reached a performance and involvement level and revelation of nuance and detail I couldn’t previously had considered possible.
I'm one very happy music listener with two systems doing exactly what I want them to.
Sounds great. I have found quite challenging to build but one system doing well one of the two!

Reactions: Khorn

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Also with a casual and of course subjective expression such as 'thick and meaty' it is open to a variety of meaning. I am guessing it seems a bit of a negative to @bazelio but to me, in this comparo, it was a very good thing as in the music fleshed out ( get it...meaty ;) ) and had more palpable body. Anyhoo liked it a lot...

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well you live with one everyday, and I was describing the difference heard between two amps during an afternoons visit to Rex's house ;)

Is your 108 an original (mk1)? Just curious...
Mine started as a Model 1 with SCNP. I later had Hervé update it to the Model 2.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Also with a casual and of course subjective expression such as 'thick and meaty' it is open to a variety of meaning. I am guessing it seems a bit of a negative to @bazelio but to me, in this comparo, it was a very good thing as in the music fleshed out ( get it...meaty ;) ) and had more palpable body. Anyhoo liked it a lot...
I'd guess you experienced greater transparency to upstream character in the chain with the Dart than with the other amp. The Dart is neither thick nor meaty itself, though. It would be a negative quality to me, yes. But I wasn't reacting negatively. It's just not a normal reaction to the amp that people have. :)

Reactions: Solypsa

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I tried this approach. It is just best to put your money in the one system. Eventually you end up listening exclusively to the one that sounds the best. IME of course.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'd guess you experienced greater transparency to upstream character in the chain with the Dart than with the other amp. The Dart is neither thick nor meaty itself, though. It would be a negative quality to me, yes. But I wasn't reacting negatively. It's just not a normal reaction to the amp that people have. :)
I suppose that it would have been better writing for me to have said ' the music presented as more thick and meaty' but I would have thought that was obvious ;) since we were listening to a few tracks ( tape and lp ) on two different amps within the same system context...

I have only two Dart experiences ( Rex and MikeL ) both of which have been really nice in their own different ways. Will have to try and get a listen to Durands system with Darts since I hear he has switched to Dart from his former favorite ( Tutay Altec 1570b )...

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I suppose that it would have been better writing for me to have said ' the music presented as more thick and meaty' but I would have thought that was obvious ;) since we were listening to a few tracks ( tape and lp ) on two different amps within the same system context...

I have only two Dart experiences ( Rex and MikeL ) both of which have been really nice in their own different ways. Will have to try and get a listen to Durands system with Darts since I hear he has switched to Dart from his former favorite ( Tutay Altec 1570b )...
What you meant was not obvious. Dart vs Altec... Two very different animals for sure! Not a subtle change from a previous favorite.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What you meant was not obvious.
Sure OK.
Dart vs Altec... Two very different animals for sure! Not a subtle change from a previous favorite.
I am excited to hear the Darts in Durand's system. I heard his Tutay modded Altecs on two different occasions ( first with Quads and then later with Evolution Acoustics ) and he had both systems sounding fab.

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
…North York (Toronto) Canada
Sounds great. I have found quite challenging to build but one system doing well one of the two!
I find my bed sitting room our “life system”. It’s on most of the time as we spend most of our lives in this room. We both listen to it for extended hours of TV, I could listen late into the wee hours for casual laid back Jazz and when I’m involved with my main system my wife is using the A/V for her shows.

The main system commands total involvement and once I’m caught by it game over. I’m captured by the musical presentation like an iron grip and it usually keeps my locked and bouncing around in my seat (I must look ridiculous) for hours on end before I can escape.

Reactions: Al M.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I fell back into a tube hole. I got the itch to switch the Dartzeel out and the 845 back in. I just love the sound of tubes. String instruments, horns, classical, jazz. They all come alive with the tubes. Its so nice and meaty and harmonically dense. I'm sure the technical listener would say I love distortion and that is not real music. But hey, you can sink into it and really enjoy what comes at you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing