Do different stylus profiles have specific characteristics?

chet atkins

Jan 25, 2021
Thanks for the advice.

I love the SL15 but don't tell anyone. I don't want the supplies to dry up completely :) It's perfectly balanced and tonally wonderful. My Anamighty DL013R has better sound staging and more detail but doesn't sound quite as musical. The thing with the SL15 is I don't sit and analyze my system... it's not about that. I'm able to just enjoy the music. First time in a long time. And this is all with the little Well Tempered turntable. Can't wait until the 401 comes and I can try out the Schroder and the Bokrand with it. My plinth only has 1 armboard slot but I'm working on a way to swap multiple armboards easily.

I tried a Micro Acoustics 3002 and it was incredible but the cantilever was bent and the diamond probably worn because there was background noise. I'm having that looked at by a retipper. I'm going to try an elliptical SPU when the Bokrand arrives. I think I'm going to love that. I'm looking at all the other usual suspects: Victor/AT/Pickering. I just missed winning a auction for a Super SD900.

Having lots of fun!
Do you have a pic of the sl-15?

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
Get a CSPort IME1 and your problems will be gone.

Does it result in sounding different?

I can picture the claim of the static in a rotating field, causing some magnetic noise. But that assumes that the static is not uniformly distributed across the surface… and the field out be at ~1/2 Hz… so it seems unlikely.

I only have one of those old skool anti static guns.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Does it result in sounding different?

I can picture the claim of the static in a rotating field, causing some magnetic noise. But that assumes that the static is not uniformly distributed across the surface… and the field out be at ~1/2 Hz… so it seems unlikely.

I only have one of those old skool anti static guns.
Yes, you will notice a slight improvement in sound quality. Everyone on the forum here who has one agrees with that. Anti static guns are useless, even the best ones like a Furutech.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I never had noise from static other than from the dust the record picked up. Usually I was more interested in hearing the next record than waiting for the last one to clean in the Degritter so not many got cleaned before going back in their sleeves.
I did find a solution, literally, to the static in the form of a cationic surfactant but that’s heading too far off topic.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Actually they do the job very well. They’re for occasional static removal if the record is cleaned properly with an ultrasonic cleaner using 0-3 micro siemens distilled water. Alternately you can get a plazma lighter and use it for 7-15 seconds for more powerful removal.

The problem is the brush. Once the static is removed with a destat device no brushing should be done cause it charges vinyl with static again. Brushing should be done beforehand and static removal with a device should be the last thing before playing vinyl.

Static removal from vinyl is a strong electrical process and for best results it shouldn’t be done while vinyl sitting over grounded platter. CSPort IME-1 and DS Audio 001 are using strong ion guns (similar to furutech, acoustic revive or stein music) IOT remove static from vinyl sitting on platter. They are permanently bombarding everything around and more importantly the cartridge with ions. IME the result is not an improvement on sound but diminished dynamics, reduced liveliness and minimized involvement.
Nope, they are useless.

I guess your experience with your IME1 is different than everyone else on here who has one. I cannot imagine not using one. An obvious plus in every aspect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing