Is my cartridge and/or stylus worth upgrading/replacing?

machTucker

Nov 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm a keen music enthusiast and have a pair of turntables that I bought back in 1999 when I was at university. They are pretty entry level (Gemini XL-500 MkII) but have faired me well and are still going strong. I used to do a bit of bedroom DJ'ing with them but now just use them to play my records on. I'm reasonable happy with the sound but I realised that I am still using the original cartridges and stylus that were shipped with it. I have the Stanton 500 MkII cartridge and the D5100AL stylus.

I'm looking for advice as to whether an upgrade/replacement is worth the money? I've done a bit of reading and it seems an elliptical stylus would be better? Can I buy a suitable stylus for my current cartridge or is a whole new cartridge/stylus combination required?

Any help/recommendations would be great,

Many thanks,

Ed

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
assuming everything on your TT is functioning a-ok I'd just replace the cartridge with a newer entry level one that allows for easy styli replacement/chaange down the road perhaps. Example...... Audio Technica AT-VM95C. Many other options out there as well.

Your table is not worth putting any serious money into as I'm sure you know. Do you have thoughts and or plans on expanding your analog playback ?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Jico make styli for 500 stantons or DJ100I/DJ200I from grado
Hifi cartridge you can mix with
This is hands down my favorite cartridge. The DJ200 is basically a hi-fi cart that can take the abuse of backcueing. You cannot, and should not expect to scratch with this. That's not the purpose. The channel separation is awesome. Awesome for ripping tracks for use in your DVS as well. When I'm scratching or mixing I like the Ortofon Q-Bert, but when casually listening or sampling -- this is my weapon of choice. I really can't say enough good things about it. Holy Grail. If you're a beatmaker looking for a hi-fi cart with a cantilever strong enough to withstand backcueing, this is what you want. I keep -DJMag

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing