Different length interconnects?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Presently, I have a 1m Masterbuilt IC running from my stereo amplifier to my MSB Select DAC/pre.
I'm upgrading the amp to D'Ag M400 MxV monoblocks.

Question:
Can I retain the 1m IC to one of the new amps and add a 1.5 m length which I'd need from the other amp to the DAC/pre?
I know that ideally the IC lengths should be the same, but is this a significant enough difference to justify having to purchase 2 new interconnects?
Thanks!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Keep interconnects the same length. Talk to your dealer or directly to Masterbuilt and see if they can accommodate a trade in or up to the correct length.

Reactions: Alrainbow

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I was a bit confused by what the OP is actually asking. If the question is can L and R between the same components be mismatched in length, then I'd say no. If the question is more like, can I use 1.5m between DAC and preamp but 1m between preamp and amp, then yes.

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Sorry for any confusion
my question is: Can I use a 1m interconnect from one monoblock amplifier to the pre, and a 1.5 m IC from the other amp to the pre?

Reactions: Alrainbow

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I used to run a different length interconnect from pre amp to amp. I heard no difference and no one who have listened to my system ever heard a difference either. You need to have a mental strength though.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah I mean it's 0.5m and as Tang says, how deep.does your OCD run. Lol. Not ideal, but in your case, it's money that you'd have to spend in order to appease your sensibilities. Maybe not worthwhile especially when we're taking about Masterbuilt money.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Maybe not worthwhile especially when we're taking about Masterbuilt money.
Only worthwhile if peace of mind is needed. :)

Isn't it great to be able to use cheap cable Brian. Who listen to a system and judge the sound by cables being used. We decide if the sound is great from what the whole system presents. So as long as the whole sound is great, not lacking any, spending less on some thing in the chain is quite a bonus. Smart system builder like us do this. ;)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I say try it out with some cheaper IC.

From a technical view there will be a very minor difference, eg all cables have a capacitance per length value, but the bigger question is does it matter!

Reactions: bonzo75

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Doubtful there will be a noticeable sound difference given the .5 meter difference. I thought the suggestion of trading in your 1.0-meter cables for a pair of 1.5-meter was a good one. For the kind of money you're investing in your new Dag amplifiers IMO combined with a reasonable trade-in value, it would be a good investment (even if there is no difference in the sound)

FYI, every cable I order for my demo system and customer inventory these days is 1.5 meters. The modest extra cost is worth the inevitable hassle when 1-meter is just short!

Enjoy your new amplifiers!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I say try it out with some cheaper IC.

From a technical view there will be a very minor difference, eg all cables have a capacitance per length value, but the bigger question is does it matter!
Speaking of which, off topic I know, but did you try the GAC 4/1?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing