MSB Discrete upgrade - add Director or go to the Premier

Chauncey79

Oct 26, 2023
Hi Everyone!

Looking for a recommendation about upgrading my MSB Discrete DAC.

Thinking about adding the Premier Digital Director or trading in and getting the Premier DAC without a Director.

Currently just using the Network Renderer v2 module with a GigaFOIL v3 as a Roon endpoint. Well also have my TV output going into Toslink but that is less important.

A third less probable option would be to remove my Audio Research REF6SE preamp and get the Reference DAC with analog input and use the Reference DAC as my preamp but worried about running my turntable/phono signal through the DAC. Amp is Dan D'Agostino S250 MxV and was hoping to someday get a future updated Momentum HD MxV preamp.

Thank you!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Now the only true way to decide is to get both a Premier Director and Premier DAC to listen in your environment. Then you can decide the best option. Having said that if I was in your position I would go with a Premier DAC.To my ears the Premier is a better DAC and worth the money for the upgrade.

Reactions: Armsan

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I vote for Premier as well :)

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi Everyone!

Thinking about adding the Premier Digital Director or trading in and getting the Premier DAC without a Director.

Currently just using the Network Renderer v2 module with a GigaFOIL v3 as a Roon endpoint. Well also have my TV output going into Toslink but that is less important.

A third less probable option would be to remove my Audio Research REF6SE preamp and get the Reference DAC with analog input and use the Reference DAC as my preamp but worried about running my turntable/phono signal through the DAC. Amp is Dan D'Agostino S250 MxV and was hoping to someday get a future updated Momentum HD MxV preamp.

Thank you!
I would suggest you get the Reference DAC with the analog output volume control and analog input for your turntable signal. Compare the Premier with the Reference DAC, if you can.

Reactions: ofer58 and Armsan

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I sold my preamp in order to justify my MSB Reference purchase, which is exactly what MSB marketing team wants you to do. Later I realized a DAC cannot replace a truly great preamp, not even a DAC as great as the Reference.

For a true upgrade, I would whole heartedly recommend going up to a Reference, just know to truly live up to the potential of your system, you need a good preamp. Also if you haven't considered the used market, that would be the way to keep the price down and be able to keep both.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I sold my preamp in order to justify my MSB Reference purchase, which is exactly what MSB marketing team wants you to do. Later I realized a DAC cannot replace a truly great preamp, not even a DAC as great as the Reference.

For a true upgrade, I would whole heartedly recommend going up to a Reference, just know to truly live up to the potential of your system, you need a good preamp. Also if you haven't considered the used market, that would be the way to keep the price down and be able to keep both.
I can live without a Pre having both DAC and Amp from MSB in my system. Unfortunately my Premier is without the pre module so I need to swap the cables each time I want to play a vinyl, pretty annoying indeed.
The Reference is not affordable to my pockets now (75k euros herein Italy).
I might look for a Pre able to keep as much intact and unaltered as possible the digital sound while allowing me to get a good analog sound, matching the MSB S202 amp impedance specs.
I was wondering if a passive pre could be a solution in that case.

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
I can live without a Pre having both DAC and Amp from MSB in my system. Unfortunately my Premier is without the pre module so I need to swap the cables each time I want to play a vinyl, pretty annoying indeed.
The Reference is not affordable to my pockets now (75k euros herein Italy).
I might look for a Pre able to keep as much intact and unaltered as possible the digital sound while allowing me to get a good analog sound, matching the MSB S202 amp impedance specs.
I was wondering if a passive pre could be a solution in that case.
A XLR physical switcher box might satisfy your need. Especially since you need to manually manipulate your vinyl already.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
A XLR physical switcher box might satisfy your need. Especially since you need to manually manipulate your vinyl already.
Thanks, never thought about it! Any suggestions about brand/model able to work with MSB DAC without causing any sort of sonic degradation?

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Hi Everyone!

Thank you!
Given MSB's trade-in programme - I would upgrade the DAC as far as you can go, selling your pre-amp if necessary. I would also switch to the Pro USB module at that time - providing isolation closer to that of the DD set-up (but not benefitting from the extra processing power). After 3 months of owning a Select II - I am still blown-away every time I listen to it - so am not in a rush to buy the DD. The Pro USB module was the most cost effective upgrade I have made in the past decade....

Reactions: bryans and Armsan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing