Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: Jpspock and jfrech

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The Rossini clock is the first hifi component I’ve ever regretted buying.
Welcome to WBF. Why do you regret it. Most feel the addition of a clock pays nice benefits. What is the context of the system it's been placed in?

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Clocking is most important!

best
E.

Attachments

• 99A1BDF3-FACC-4A65-A0B0-7BF9E6E34621.jpeg
    99A1BDF3-FACC-4A65-A0B0-7BF9E6E34621.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 14

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
The Rossini clock is the first hifi component I’ve ever regretted buying.

Without the sonic benefits of the Rossini Clock, I would have never purchased the Rossini as the sound quality without it did not surpass that of the CD player/DAC I already owned.

Reactions: Lee and jfrech

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
Lee -- I took delivery of a dCS Rossini DAC, dealer installed between Christmas and New Years and I completely love it. (I have the clock on order.) I am sure many will question pairing this particular DAC with YG Hailey 2 loudspeakers and an Ypsilon Phaethon integrated, but the sound is sublime due to the hybrid nature of the Phaethon, it brought a slight sweetness and warmth to the Hailey's (with no loss of resolution or clarity or air or presence) and has made them eminently listenable. And, the dCS Rossini is the perfect complement into this system.

This purchase now completes my hifi rig (well, with the added clock once it arrives), it has taken many years and I have very carefully curated the various component adds and each has integrated beautifully. With the Rossini to complement my Thales TT and Tonearm (Ikeda Kai Reference Cartridge) I cannot imagine having better music sources in-hand.

I hope you are as thrilled with the sound of your Rossini as I am with mine.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I've enjoyed my Rossini DAC for several years, but the sound took a very, very big step forward with the addition of the Taiko Extreme server. I think the Extreme makes every DAC sound better. (and this without having purchased the clock).

That said, with the upcoming announcements from dCS (Apex?) it might be time to part with the Rossini and move to the Pilium Electra—that is as soon as chips are available to make them again.

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
I will admit that I have been very impressed with the sound and build quality with electronics coming out of Greece. Certainly not as well known as many of the major producers from other manufacturing markets and countries, and its a shame because in my view what I've heard out of Greece, specifically Pilium and Ypsilon, they are both quite good and their manufacturing standards are very high.

I don't know that I'll need to chase the Apex upgrade for a while -- I bought the Rossini based on it's current sound and I am quite happy with it. But I do have to admit that the itch seems to always be there when we hear the newer, upgraded version . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and Jpspock

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've enjoyed my Rossini DAC for several years, but the sound took a very, very big step forward with the addition of the Taiko Extreme server. I think the Extreme makes every DAC sound better. (and this without having purchased the clock).

That said, with the upcoming announcements from dCS (Apex?) it might be time to part with the Rossini and move to the Pilium Electra—that is as soon as chips are available to make them again.
I will take a close look at the Taiko Extreme server.

That said, it's odd that you might make a change away from dCS when they are announcing major product upgrades. There may be an affordable option to do an upgrade to the latest gear.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee -- I took delivery of a dCS Rossini DAC, dealer installed between Christmas and New Years and I completely love it. (I have the clock on order.) I am sure many will question pairing this particular DAC with YG Hailey 2 loudspeakers and an Ypsilon Phaethon integrated, but the sound is sublime due to the hybrid nature of the Phaethon, it brought a slight sweetness and warmth to the Hailey's (with no loss of resolution or clarity or air or presence) and has made them eminently listenable. And, the dCS Rossini is the perfect complement into this system.

This purchase now completes my hifi rig (well, with the added clock once it arrives), it has taken many years and I have very carefully curated the various component adds and each has integrated beautifully. With the Rossini to complement my Thales TT and Tonearm (Ikeda Kai Reference Cartridge) I cannot imagine having better music sources in-hand.

I hope you are as thrilled with the sound of your Rossini as I am with mine.
Yes, I am very much thrilled. Looking forward to the clock arriving soon as well.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I will take a close look at the Taiko Extreme server.

That said, it's odd that you might make a change away from dCS when they are announcing major product upgrades. There may be an affordable option to do an upgrade to the latest gear.
Indeed, I'd want to hear what this upcoming "apex" is all about. Offered here (WBF) or somewhere else on the webs, it looks like the Rossini upgrade is going to be ~$8k. It will make the dCS landscape change as some will upgrade their gear, some will sell or trade-in towards another product up the ladder. The value of a used Rossini, sans upgrade, will go down.

I've enjoyed my Rossini, but I've been amazed at the sound of the Pilium gear. Hearing Pilium on three pairs of speakers, each very different in design and execution... the Pilium sounds amazing on all of them. My listening buddies have been astonishede how little a signature the Pilium has, it just gets out of the way and the music flows. Adding the Pilium Electra DAC, if it behaves in a similar fashion, is very appealing.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Indeed, I'd want to hear what this upcoming "apex" is all about. Offered here (WBF) or somewhere else on the webs, it looks like the Rossini upgrade is going to be ~$8k. It will make the dCS landscape change as some will upgrade their gear, some will sell or trade-in towards another product up the ladder. The value of a used Rossini, sans upgrade, will go down.

I've enjoyed my Rossini, but I've been amazed at the sound of the Pilium gear. Hearing Pilium on three pairs of speakers, each very different in design and execution... the Pilium sounds amazing on all of them. My listening buddies have been astonishede how little a signature the Pilium has, it just gets out of the way and the music flows. Adding the Pilium Electra DAC, if it behaves in a similar fashion, is very appealing.
I have not heard the Pilium gear but I am really enjoying the Rossini DAC. It's noticeably better than the Bartok which is already fantastic. I have two close friends with MSB gear and I like that a lot too but I gravitate more to the dCS sound. I have had some good demos of Lampizator as well.

But definitely hear the new Apex gear as it is said to be a major upgrade.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have not heard the Pilium gear but I am really enjoying the Rossini DAC. It's noticeably better than the Bartok which is already fantastic. I have two close friends with MSB gear and I like that a lot too but I gravitate more to the dCS sound. I have had some good demos of Lampizator as well.

But definitely hear the new Apex gear as it is said to be a major upgrade.
Thanks Lee, I wish I was a neighbor as your rig, with the Wilsons and ARC, reminds me of mine before I embarked on this Rhapsody Listening Room adventure. I'd love to hear the REF160M amps on any of the three speakers I currently have, and would be fun to switch to triode mode with the Diesis Roma.

I have a pretty good sense of the sonics you are enjoying... some nice synergy with your rig. Enjoy in good health.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks Lee, I wish I was a neighbor as your rig, with the Wilsons and ARC, reminds me of mine before I embarked on this Rhapsody Listening Room adventure. I'd love to hear the REF160M amps on any of the three speakers I currently have, and would be fun to switch to triode mode with the Diesis Roma.

I have a pretty good sense of the sonics you are enjoying... some nice synergy with your rig. Enjoy in good health.
Thanks! It is sounding really good and I have a wonderful new addition to the system but I can't talk about it yet. More to come...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing