David Karmeli’s Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System

Do you know what his thought process was with these swaps? What was he dissatisfied with, and where was trying to get to?
Thanks Ked for making me aware of this thread.

Ron, I don't really subscribe to any loudspeaker theory so my thought process might not make any sense. For the full chain it was Sonus Faber Aida - Stenheim Reference Ultime - Goebel Divin Noblesse - Tannoy Westminster - Audio Note AN/E.

I had the Aidas for quite a few years and didn't really have any desire to change. It was being driven by Kondo Kaguras and they worked fine. A sudden itch made me move to the Stenheims which I enjoyed for a while but the Kaguras simply could not drive them so I switched to solid state Orpheus amps. I have switched from tube amps to solid state many times for the punch and ease of use and each time it doesn't last that long and this was no exception. Goebel was a relatively new kid on the block with their divin line and to me was much better than the Stenheims. I changed the amps to a used pair of Robert Koda G70s which were really good and only cost be 10k. They drove the Goebels with ease and this could easily be a end game combo imo. I wish i kept the Koda amps.

At some stage I got tired of the big black darth vader like goebels and wanted to reclaim the living room space with a more traditional to look. The westminsters were always on my bucket list and a used pair turned up allowing me to try them out. This being HK there is simply no space to store one pair in the garage whilst you play with another pair so the Goebels went and the Tannoys stayed. I really like the westminsters but they were simply too big for my living room and I don't mean acoustically. They simply blocked my bookcases completely but they sounded great. If I ever have a really big living room I wouldn't say know.

At that time, I set up a really simple system in London composed of a pair of Klipsch La Scalas, a Lumin T2 server and an Audio Note UK Meishu integrated amp. Simple system until the volume control needed replacement and I drove my amp down to the Audio Note factory in Brighton and whilst there got hear a pair of Audio Note AN/E speakers which if you've heard them in the right setting are pretty mesmerising considering their dimunitive size and weight. I borrowed a pair from AN and it took the Kplisch apart and then some. I became an AN speaker fan overnight.

Getting back to HK I borrowed a pair of AN/E and assumed it would simply not be able to pressurise my living room in Hk which whilst not wide is some 45ft deep and has tall ceilings of around 13ft. I was very wrong. To me with the speakers stuffed into the corners as they are supposed to be, the room felt pressurised and full sounding like never before. And that is how I ended up with Audio Note AN/E speakers in London and in HK. A bit random I know but ignoring the sound, one huge benefit of AN/E speakers is they sit completely out of the way against the corners. Compared to the behemoths I have had this is a refreshing change. I don't have a dedicated listening room like some of you, nor do i really like that kind of thing, so having something unobtrusive whilst sounding really good is where I am now. I had a opportunity to visit Peter Qvortrup at his home in November to hear the new Field Coil versions of the AN/E and they are even better than the passive version.

So, Ron, going back to your original question, no I wasn't really disatisfied with any of them. They're all great and different, that's all. Sometimes you need to try something to get the itch out. i just wish the journey had been less expensive.

I get that very large Gobbel and very large Tannoys may not work in his room (wondering who was giving advice to him on this if at all) but to AN E I would not have gone. Something like a middle sized Diesis would have been interesting and around the same sensitivity as an AN E.
I don't really ask for advice it has to be said. Just wing it and see. The room can acoustically handle them all (20ft x 45ft x 13ft) but visually I now prefer something smaller, that's all.

You got rid of Koda K70s despite them costing you a pittance?

Reactions: morricab
Hi Howie, with the kind of spend you have done, people here follow you in the journey pretty much like they do Forrest Gump. And they thought you were going to give some wisdom at this stage on what cues you took from live concerts for each of those speakers. And how did you manage without the much larger scale and weight of the bigger speakers going to such smaller ones

all you said was

Goebel was a relatively new kid on the block with their divin line and to me was much better than the Stenheims.
KeithR, another datapoint in support of why I encourage you to try the Divin Marquis versus Stenheim.

(And I like Stenheim, I just like Goebel Divins more.)

Ron, I don't really subscribe to any loudspeaker theory so my thought process might not make any sense. For the full chain it was Sonus Faber Aida - Stenheim Reference Ultime - Goebel Divin Noblesse - Tannoy Westminster - Audio Note AN/E.

I had the Aidas for quite a few years and didn't really have any desire to change. It was being driven by Kondo Kaguras and they worked fine. A sudden itch made me move to the Stenheims which I enjoyed for a while but the Kaguras simply could not drive them so I switched to solid state Orpheus amps. I have switched from tube amps to solid state many times for the punch and ease of use and each time it doesn't last that long and this was no exception. Goebel was a relatively new kid on the block with their divin line and to me was much better than the Stenheims. I changed the amps to a used pair of Robert Koda G70s which were really good and only cost be 10k. They drove the Goebels with ease and this could easily be a end game combo imo. I wish i kept the Koda amps.

At some stage I got tired of the big black darth vader like goebels and wanted to reclaim the living room space with a more traditional to look. The westminsters were always on my bucket list and a used pair turned up allowing me to try them out. This being HK there is simply no space to store one pair in the garage whilst you play with another pair so the Goebels went and the Tannoys stayed. I really like the westminsters but they were simply too big for my living room and I don't mean acoustically. They simply blocked my bookcases completely but they sounded great. If I ever have a really big living room I wouldn't say know.

At that time, I set up a really simple system in London composed of a pair of Klipsch La Scalas, a Lumin T2 server and an Audio Note UK Meishu integrated amp. Simple system until the volume control needed replacement and I drove my amp down to the Audio Note factory in Brighton and whilst there got hear a pair of Audio Note AN/E speakers which if you've heard them in the right setting are pretty mesmerising considering their dimunitive size and weight. I borrowed a pair from AN and it took the Kplisch apart and then some. I became an AN speaker fan overnight.

Getting back to HK I borrowed a pair of AN/E and assumed it would simply not be able to pressurise my living room in Hk which whilst not wide is some 45ft deep and has tall ceilings of around 13ft. I was very wrong. To me with the speakers stuffed into the corners as they are supposed to be, the room felt pressurised and full sounding like never before. And that is how I ended up with Audio Note AN/E speakers in London and in HK. A bit random I know but ignoring the sound, one huge benefit of AN/E speakers is they sit completely out of the way against the corners. Compared to the behemoths I have had this is a refreshing change. I don't have a dedicated listening room like some of you, nor do i really like that kind of thing, so having something unobtrusive whilst sounding really good is where I am now. I had a opportunity to visit Peter Qvortrup at his home in November to hear the new Field Coil versions of the AN/E and they are even better than the passive version.

So, Ron, going back to your original question, no I wasn't really disatisfied with any of them. They're all great and different, that's all. Sometimes you need to try something to get the itch out. i just wish the journey had been less expensive.
Thank you very much for this detailed insight into your loudspeaker ownership sequence! I appreciate the time you took to explain this to us!

KeithR, another datapoint in support of why I encourage you to try the Divin Marquis versus Stenheim.

(And I like Stenheim, I just like Goebel Divins more.)

so why ignore the data point of AN-E then? Any reason to selectively choose data points from the same post?

so why ignore the data point of AN-E then? Any reason to selectively choose data points from the same post?
Why are you assuming I am ignoring the datapoint? I read Howie's entire post (twice). I know nothing about AN-E, so why would I make a random, specious comment on it?

I made the comment I posted because I have heard each of the three Divin loudspeakers twice now, and I have heard Stenheims multiple times, so it doesn't seem crazy to me that I would make a comment on a post about those two speakers by somebody who owned both speakers and who now is comparing them for us.

I could've made 10 other comments on Howie's post. Are those 10 other data points I am ignoring as well?

It is wrong to assume generally that the absence of a comment is affirmation of anything.

Why are you assuming I am ignoring the datapoint? I read Howie's entire post (twice). I know nothing about AN-E, so why would I make a random, specious comment on it?

I made the comment I posted because I have heard each of the three Divin loudspeakers twice now, and I have heard Stenheims multiple times, so it doesn't seem crazy to me that I would make a comment on a post about those two speakers by somebody who owned both speakers and who now is comparing them for us.

I could've made 10 other comments on Howie's post. Are those 10 other data points I am ignoring as well?

It is wrong to assume generally that the absence of a comment is affirmation of anything.

well, it seemed like of 5 speakers Howie cited, if a data point is to be used, I would start with the most recent one. Instead of picking just two. If you already have opinions on two speakers and stick to those, there is no point using Howie as a data point

Howie, I just read your essay about the journey through all the speakers. There’s no substitute for the experience of owning things and living with them. We all wish the hobby was less expensive. Thanks for sharing that history.

Each to his own Mike. I like to keep things simple.
one question; if you had a good sized dedicated room would you have a preference? in other words, which one might have the biggest upside? without lifestyle tradeoffs.

or another speaker in mind for that?

ok to say that's not any interest to you.

I would like to see some pictures of the speakers set up in your office. Considering the logistics involved, you accomplished the tasks of transportation, installation and setup in short order. Glad that you are enjoying them. If possible, please post a YouTube video of the system playing in your room. Would love to hear them.
Hi Carlos,

below photos of the current setup, the Telefunken V69 with the CAT SL-1 preamplifier reveals more of the potential of the Bionor speakers…

Can make a video tomorrow, are you interested in a special piece off music I should play?

Best regards

MichaelIMG_5125.jpegIMG_5124.jpegIMG_5126.jpeg

Poor O’l Tango … Timing is all …. He might have acquired these original transducers rather than !!! ..well what he ended up with

Last edited:
Reactions: FLHX84
@FLHX84 if it is not too much to ask, what phono cartridge(s) are you using?

Beautiful system!

Reactions: MarcelNL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing