DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi
yes it gets a little sweeter and with better resolution
sure you´re not hearing the resonance from the dynamic VTF spring in the FRs? known problem
apart from Schick theese are all steel arms.....
don´t get any sibilance in my Twin Peaks.....wasn´t in The Groovemaster either
and neither with any of the multiple SUT´s I´ve tried
what VTF and is cart parallell to record surface?
also you could try copper dc wire instead of enclosed silver
best
Leif

Reactions: Hifi man

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
hi
yes it gets a little sweeter and with better resolution
sure you´re not hearing the resonance from the dynamic VTF spring in the FRs? known problem
apart from Schick theese are all steel arms.....
don´t get any sibilance in my Twin Peaks.....wasn´t in The Groovemaster either
and neither with any of the multiple SUT´s I´ve tried
what VTF and is cart parallell to record surface?
also you could try copper dc wire instead of enclosed silver
best
Leif

Agree with Leif’s suggestions and observations. I haven’t had the sibilant issues.

I find it is very sensitive to VTA more than all other parameters (VTF less so although 3.5g seems optimal for me). I would recommend to try running just slightly tail down to start and moving to parallel if that sound without enough air. In my system, once the VTA is nailed, the staging opens and layers back super deep and wide. If VTA is too high, it congests and the harmonics of strings lose their richness.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi All,

Darius has cooked up my big tube field coil supply now. It has dual outputs to supply both my stereo and mono carts. It has a bronze voltage adjustment dial on the front, which is very useful too. Will report back sonic differences when I receive it vs my solid state selenium one. My mono DaVa

41D6C2AE-FCFA-43C7-A1C7-9E03477DE335.jpeg

and for those that like to see nude images lol:

007C2562-CFE6-4F95-BBDB-73EBCFE6AF93.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So my power supply arrived and I have been listening for 2 days now and for those who can’t be bothered to read the rest - wow.
I had discussed for sometime with Darius, the designer behind the DaVa field coil cartridge, what is the optimal power supply. Darius spent considerable time testing every topology under the sun from battery power to rarefied transistors and then a wide gamut of potential tube based supplies. For those of you wanting to get into a DaVa and don’t want have the outlay of cart and big power supply, you should start with the selenium solid state and you’ll be very happy indeed. You can treat the tube supply as an upgrade down the line.
Darius tested all manner of tubes and landed on the EY500a rectifiers, used historically as TV dampers. My other fave amp builder, Thomas Mayer, often uses TV dampers in his designs include my very own 10y preamp. The rest of the circuit is relatively simple but executed with big custom transformers and hand selected capacitors. The supply is reassuringly heavy and has great feel due to the military style switches employed. My unit is dual output covering both my stereo and mono DaVa carts. It also has the ability to change the voltage on the fly with 4 settings from 10,11,12, and 13 volts.
I was a bit apprehensive as to whether there would be any real merit of using such a supply given it was “only” providing the magnetic field for the cart. But at the end of the day, the voltage produced by the power supply produces a magnetic field that is then converted back to voltage as signal. So in some ways, it makes sense that the quality of power for such an application ought to be worth investing in. I am sure this also applies similarly to field coil speakers.
I needn’t have been worried as I never doubt Darius and his knowledge and insights and above all his fastidious attention to creating beautiful audio devices. I knew I was in safe hands when he told me he dreamt of a single mono WE15a with original 555. I am sure one day he will fulfil this dream - I hope so.
The sound. Well firstly the difference in voltage even 1 volt really changed the presentation so you have the ability to really tailor your final sound. I landed on 11 volts as my preferred setting for the stereo DaVa. I am testing mono DaVa soon. Immediately you will recognise a tonal purity, and a peeling back of an electrical haze you didn’t know was there. The space of the recording and the 3-dimensionality are greatly enhanced as a result. The insight into the musicians playing jumped up quite a lot so I was hearing more saturation of tonal colours but also intra note minute details of the string vibrato on Julian Bream playing baroque lute. The bass had more texture and also space to it - it seems to bring more decay and the recording environment. All these differences are wholly captivating and launch you deep into the music itself. It is one of those improvements where you are lost in your heard and then the LP runs out. Everything is just a notch more believable and palpable.
As you can tell, I am very excited and very pleased with this purchase. If you own a DaVa, I urge you to get one of these at some point because you’ll elevate what is my favourite cartridge in standard form to something extraordinary.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good work, Bill. I'm glad your prepping my visit so comprehensively. As you know, I related your positive words on Dava to my mate in Cali which resulted in a sale. I'm really looking fwds to hearing what all the fuss is about. Am I likely to hear it on your refurbed Gates idler?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Good work, Bill. I'm glad your prepping my visit so comprehensively. As you know, I related your positive words on Dava to my mate in Cali which resulted in a sale. I'm really looking fwds to hearing what all the fuss is about. Am I likely to hear it on your refurbed Gates idler?

Will try my best to have Gates up and running.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi All,

So in discussions with Darius, he has been testing a 2nd filtration stage at the base of the arm. He advised that I should try it to. Well of course it would be rude not to lol. So I acquired an Audio Note Kaisei 10,000uf / 16v capacitor as this was suitable for this application and a very good quality product. I built a Lignum Vitae cylindrical base for it to live in - it basically slides into a perfectly routed cylindrical slot.

I have played some music for a few hours and have noticed greater dynamics and space. Clearly it is early days and I can be more precise on my description in due course - at moment it seems a total no brainer.

67244282-7480-422C-B852-5005D3822FC7.jpeg
EE944ED2-281F-437C-B841-2A3426E1D48C.jpeg

pr1nce

Jul 12, 2016
I have unused Dava FC-A1 cartridge with SS PSU and all accesories + matching permalloy step-up from Darius.
Purchased them from Darius in H2 2020, never used as I decided to focus on digital rig.
4500EUR shipped worldwide

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing