DAC decision: Lampizator Pacific vs TotalDac Balanced Output Options

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks to all that responded. Some good advice here. Pleased to say I’ve made a purchase. I would like to emphasize it was a difficult choice, heck it was difficult just to narrow down to my 2 final choices. And I must say, both of these companies were extremely pleasurable to work with. Very responsive, all questions answered, no hard sell ...
Did you forget to say, what product you decided on? ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The Pacific. I had the advantage of being able to listen to one here in Chicago. Hearing was believing.
Congrats :cool:
You're in for a BIG treat ;)
What tube complement did you order?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
If you get to Chicago, come on over and listen
Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately, there are over 7200 kilometers between us :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I am getting the Ricardo Kron tubes. As this is my first tube adventure, it seems right to take the Chef’s recommendation instead of tinkering with the recipe on my first visit to the restaurant,
Which RK output tubes?
RK 242 or RK PX25?

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Congratulations on the Pacific. The Ferrari of the line. I’m loving my Toyota:cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Congratulations on the Pacific. The Ferrari of the line. I’m loving my Toyota:cool:
I would say the Amber3 is the Toyota, your Big7 Mk2 is at least a Merc ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I will have to check. Is one or the other preferred?
That depends on system synergy and/or your personal taste :D
Btw. Those 2 are both my absolute favorites amongst the RK output tubes ;)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Which RK output tubes?
RK 242 or RK PX25?
I ordered both on my Pacific. I have not gotten around to swapping the 25's yet. It is just so damn good. I can't imagine the 242's

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I ordered both on my Pacific. I have not gotten around to swapping the 25's yet. It is just so damn good. I can't imagine the 242's
Wise decision to order both :cool:

Try and swap. But be prepared to give the RK 242 some hours before you critically judge them.

My RK 242 needed quite a lot more hours to come alive than the RK PX25 did ;)

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Pacific + 242 is killer! Hoping my Pacific arrives shortly!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Wise decision to order both :cool:

Try and swap. But be prepared to give the RK 242 some hours before you critically judge them.

My RK 242 needed quite a lot more hours to come alive than the RK PX25 did ;)
So which one is your favorite and why?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
If your system can handle the big gain of the RK 242 and isn't overdriven, then I love the very transparent sound of the 242.
The PX 25 sounds a little fuller and it's gain is not entirely as high as the 242 and therefore easier to fit into more systems.
It's a matter of system synergy and taste. I love both, the 242 AND the PX25

Reactions: K3RMIT and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The 242 is a tough match it sounds poor in many systems because it needs proper gain to fit, or maybe a combination of gain and impedance. It is worth keeping a pair of 242 and trying fifteen preamps as and when you get a chance. When it fits it will be awesome. Till it does, use another valve. The special Lampi 45s also available as EML global anniversary 45, or PX25. The KR and RK are slightly different again either can sound better. They are very nice but a bit dark.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Have a general question. Is Pacific volume control in digital or analog domain? Does owners general use VC direct to amp or adjust gain to preamp? Wonder quality of VC.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Has anyone compared TotalDac to Lampizator Pacific? (If so, which versions of TotalDac)? Thank you.
Balanced challenges aside, I have heard the TotalDAC TD 12 and the Lampizator Pacific but not in the same system. However I've heard several DACs in each system and I believe enough to make a comparison.

The TotalDAC units are slightly warm sounding without sacrificing detail and airiness. The Pacific is a very warm sounding DAC; it's the kind of DAC that makes singers sound like they gained 40 lbs reflected in their extra - hefty voice. When the owner switched from his MSB to the Pacific it took all of 10 seconds of comparative listening to request he go back to the MSB (another very good DAC).

If you value tonal accuracy with just a hint of warmth the TotalDAC fits your needs. If you want something very warm and IMO unnatural then the Pacific is for you.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Balanced challenges aside, I have heard the TotalDAC TD 12 and the Lampizator Pacific but not in the same system. However I've heard several DACs in each system and I believe enough to make a comparison.

The TotalDAC units are slightly warm sounding without sacrificing detail and airiness. The Pacific is a very warm sounding DAC; it's the kind of DAC that makes singers sound like they gained 40 lbs reflected in their extra - hefty voice. When the owner switched from his MSB to the Pacific it took all of 10 seconds of comparative listening to request he go back to the MSB (another very good DAC).

If you value tonal accuracy with just a hint of warmth the TotalDAC fits your needs. If you want something very warm and IMO unnatural then the Pacific is for you.
This comment was deleted because it was considered a personal attack. Please refrain from such statements moving forward, as it is a violation of the TOS of the WBF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing