Crystal Disc US$1600 was played with Genesis Speaker

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
+1 Myles point - we still have not extracted everything we can from 16/44.1 yet. The price makes me weak at the knees, but I cannot deny that on the system in Hong Kong, to my ears is sounds better in all respects - even on a state-of-the-art transport.

According to Andy's website, the price ranges from HK$6000 to HK$12,800. This is definitely not for newcomers to the hobby, but for the enthusiast who wants to get the most out of his system. The enthusiasts in Hong Kong and China would pay for this - Andy sold 50 pieces during the show.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
+1 Myles point - we still have not extracted everything we can from 16/44.1 yet. The price makes me weak at the knees, but I cannot deny that on the system in Hong Kong, to my ears is sounds better in all respects - even on a state-of-the-art transport.

According to Andy's website, the price ranges from HK$6000 to HK$12,800. This is definitely not for newcomers to the hobby, but for the enthusiast who wants to get the most out of his system. The enthusiasts in Hong Kong and China would pay for this - Andy sold 50 pieces during the show.

Explain to me how the raw digital data stored on a $1600 disc is any different than the raw data stored on a $10 disc. One could argue that the $1600 disc somehow allows a transport to extract this data from a player with lower error rates, but an error corrected copy of this data on a harddrive is bit for bit the same information. Reading the discs with a memory player there should also be absolutely zero difference between what the player loads into memory.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Wow 50 pieces. This IMO is not about being an enthousiast

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Explain to me how the raw digital data stored on a $1600 disc is any different than the raw data stored on a $10 disc. One could argue that the $1600 disc somehow allows a transport to extract this data from a player with lower error rates, but an error corrected copy of this data on a harddrive is bit for bit the same information. Reading the discs with a memory player there should also be absolutely zero difference between what the player loads into memory.

+1 Just give me the source files

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

As one of the first high-end proponents of the music server (I demo'ed with one at CES 2005), I agree with you. However, this product is for the buyer of the $45,000 CD transport, not you and I.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You can't take it with you...may as splurge if you can!

Steve Williams

As one of the first high-end proponents of the music server (I demo'ed with one at CES 2005), I agree with you. However, this product is for the buyer of the $45,000 CD transport, not you and I.

I respectfully disagree. Not trying to rain on the parade of the people at Crystal Disc but this is not about for an enthousiast but rather for someone who still has to prove that his doniker is bigger than ours.

Where's our friend Frantz on this one

Also please tell me that you were joking when you said they are working on a platinum disc

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I respectfully disagree. Not trying to rain on the parade of the people at Crystal Disc but this is not about for an enthousiast but rather for someone who still has to prove that his doniker is bigger than ours.

Where's our friend Frantz on this one

Also please tell me that you were joking when you said they are working on a platinum disc

Edorr posted about the Pt disc, not Gary ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

In fairness (IMO only) it's not much different than buying a $45,000 CDP or a $100,000 TT (no offense intended). The people that buy those components can afford whatever media they want, and if it floats their boat.....be my guest.

I will agree that the motivation to purchase this media is not entirely audio related. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I read this entire thread and I just don't know for sure what I can add!

If in another country they can sell those Crystal Discs for that much money, good for someone!
Methinks that it's ridiculous, but I truly feel that these buyers simply don't care about what I think!

Oh well, another page in our audio (music recording medium) world .... :b

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The fact remains, it's 16/44 digital. If you really want an improvement you need to change format from digital to analog as long as the original material was recorded analog.

DSD, not analog?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Glad to see we've found a BS meter tripping point for some of our more faithful members.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The funny thing is that lots of U.S. digital lovers complain about paying $15 for a CD. I don't think there will be much of a market here for those CDs.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

. . . . this is not about for an enthousiast but rather for someone who still has to prove that his doniker is bigger than ours. . . .

If I had the $1600 to spend on ONE cd, I'd get the best $50 digital version of the recording I could find and give the rest to a reputable charity.

I hope the glass CD is an ultra high strength glass like Hercuglass.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Glad to see we've found a BS meter tripping point for some of our more faithful members.

Tim

I have seen the BS-o-meter pegged a few times here .. This may be one of those welcomed happenings :) ...

Steve Williams

Here's what I don't understand......

Is this version better than any other formats we have (ie DSD, hires digital,vinyl tape) OR is it just a better version of the redbook CD because if you say it's better than any other format what would we think :confused: and if it is merely better than the standard redbook version then we can spend $1000 on a redbook CD which isn't as good as other formats :confused:

again caveat emptor

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Let's not lose sight of the music. As far as I can tell, we're talking about $1600 for "Sorrow of the River" by Guo Ya-zhi. That must be some kind of humdinger CD. Is it just me, or was that just one of those incredible musical pearls that were snubbed at the Grammys?

By the way, I was at Tanglewood on Saturday for Mahler's Fourth. As much as I love Mahler, it would be hard for me to spend more than 5 bucks for a great used Mahler recording. So I really want to know who is spending $1600 for Ya-zhi, and what medications they are on? :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Let's not lose sight of the music. As far as I can tell, we're talking about $1600 for "Sorrow of the River" by Guo Ya-zhi. That must be some kind of humdinger CD. Is it just me, or was that just one of those incredible musical pearls that were snubbed at the Grammys?

By the way, I was at Tanglewood on Saturday for Mahler's Fourth. As much as I love Mahler, it would be hard for me to spend more than 5 bucks for a great used Mahler recording. So I really want to know who is spending $1600 for Ya-zhi, and what medications they are on. :)

I though about that. So even assuming there are some sonic merits to the super disc, I very much doubt the crystal version is going to sound any better than a plain vanilla stellar ECM recording/mastering, not to mention the fact that ECM has some content to offer of artistic merit/interest.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

By the way, I was at Tanglewood on Saturday for Mahler's Fourth. As much as I love Mahler, it would be hard for me to spend more than 5 bucks for a great used Mahler recording.
So I really want to know who is spending $1600 for Ya-zhi, and what medications they are on? :)

This guy today just bought an older 1967 Ferrari convertible for $27 and a half millions! ...$27.5 million dollars!
...Most ever paid for a single car at an auction; only ten were made. ...Just google it.
{Most of the proceeds from that auction sale goes to charity.}

So, that would be people with money, and lots of it! ...And that, is their medication.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing