Crazy Snow Storm around Seattle

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
In middle CA, the SF Bay Area, we are supposed to be hit with a Pineapple Express late tonight (Tuesday) and tomorrow, which is expected to bring up to 8” of rain. The wind is blowing strong now, and I have decided to “work” from home tomorrow. On glass three of vino. :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Someone snapped that shot in Alberta because of icy temperatures. ...Pillar lights phenomena.

It is beautiful.

It looks similar to Northern Light that I took at Jasper National Park on Sept 28th, 2017.

_DSC6434pged-2.JPG

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
In middle CA, the SF Bay Area, we are supposed to be hit with a Pineapple Express late tonight (Tuesday) and tomorrow, which is expected to bring up to 8” of rain. The wind is blowing strong now, and I have decided to “work” from home tomorrow. On glass three of vino. :)
I had lived in Bay Area from 1982 to 1989.

I did not experience strong storm over there.

But on the way back from Lake Tahoe, I had severe snow storm on 1984.

My friend managed to drive me safely out of it.

He was a very good driver.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
These photos are the closest we get to snow in Sydney.o_O

Its been over 90 degrees F for most of the last 6 weeks.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
These photos are the closest we get to snow in Sydney.o_O

Its been over 90 degrees F for most of the last 6 weeks.

That is too bad.

It is a paradise in summer around Seattle with not so hot and humid air.

Temperature reach 90 degree only one or two days during whole summer.

Most of time it stays below 80(27C)F even during summer.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
People on East Washington are used to driving on icy road., but they are not on the western side.

Even if I drive 4WD Suv, I am hesitant to go out now.

The reason is that other novice driver may skid toward my car.

It is not about novice drivers. It is about people driving on all season tires on the snow. AWD or not - makes no difference.

All season tires have an awful traction on snow.

The solution is to get a real snow tires or even better - snow tires with studs (not road legal in most countries).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
That is too bad.

It is a paradise in summer around Seattle with not so hot and humid air.

Temperature reach 90 degree only one or two days during whole summer.

Most of time it stays below 80(27C)F even during summer.

don't worry, its all good. I live 5 min away from the beach. In winter its quite mild and pleasant to Euro and US winters.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
don't worry, its all good. I live 5 min away from the beach. In winter its quite mild and pleasant to Euro and US winters.
I also live 10 minute's drive from beach.
But it is too cold to go into sea even during summertime here.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It will be harder to move around your area.

Had there been any power outage?

With rain forecast on coastal area, snow will be melt soon.

on my cul-de-sac i was the only driveway you could move on yesterday until i cleared my neighbor's last night, the rest had a solid 3 feet of snow blocking.....getting harder and heavier by the minute. it's all 3-5 acre parcels with typically long driveways.

we only had a brief power outage Monday night, but otherwise our neighborhood is fine. typically we are more vulnerable to tree limbs on power lines during wind storms.

i have an NG Generator for outages which we do get sometimes for extended periods.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Off the Sound we received far less than inland, but still enough to make things crazy. One thing we have here over a lot of other areas are the hill and mountains which make things a challenge. Despite the weather, I have kept the Hummingbirds fed and music playing.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_271d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_271d.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • fullsizeoutput_2717.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2717.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • fullsizeoutput_271f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_271f.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: DaveC and thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Off the Sound we received far less than inland, but still enough to make things crazy. One thing we have here over a lot of other areas are the hill and mountains which make things a challenge. Despite the weather, I have kept the Hummingbirds fed and music playing.
Nice job to keep Hummingbird fed.

Amazon Prime delivery also got delayed.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'State of Emergency' declared where i live in North Bend from snow accumulation.

https://komonews.com/news/local/nor...emergency-as-town-sits-buried-in-feet-of-snow

That's way more than us, twice as much more. But it is also @ higher elevation.
I'm not much higher than ocean level here. Higher I go up the back mountains the much more snow. In your link they mentioned 53 inches of snow.

"In addition to the heavy snow, the town was dealing with an influx of stranded drivers who were awaiting crossing Snoqualmie Pass. Some 53 inches of snow fell atop the pass over a two-day period, leading to extreme avalanche danger and an extended pass closure."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Same here, the hummingbirds keep coming; their water is not freezing for the last 24 hours.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Despite the weather, I have kept the Hummingbirds fed and music playing.

We feed the critters year round. Our deck is about 20' off the ground and there are several squirrels (Douglas red and Western gray) that climb up and get the trail mix we leave for them.
We have several hummingbird feeders and the wife brings them in every night so they don't freeze!

and have so far seen:

Stellar jay
Black-capped chickadee
Brown-backed chickadee
Varied Thrush (4-5 at a time!)
Northern flicker (3-4 at a time)
Spotted Rufous Towhee
House finch
Dark-eyed junco

and I'm probably missing others... we're enabling!!!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
snowmaggedon

snow pics tonght, rained all day so about 1/3rd of the depth is gone from compression and melt.

note; path cut on the right side of barn is for snow blower access from Barn garage.

sno 1.jpg sno 2.jpg sno 3.jpg

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing