Collecting names - tube preamps with onboard tube MM phono stages

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I have a simple system with just a single source, a turntable with one tonearm. I currently use an E.A.R. Yoshino 868pl preamp which has a built-in phono stage that uses four tubes - all the same - in total. I have an Allnic SUT connected to the E.A.R.’s MM input. I really like the simplicity and reliability of this setup. However, I’m curious about other one-box tubed preamp/phono pres that may elevate the overall sound of my setup.

I’d like to do some research on what else is out there so if you have any names you can pass on, I’m all ears (pun intended.) I know of a few options, like the Miyajima EC-5, but happy to hear about others. Please note that I do not need an active MC circuit, even though the E.A.R. has one (the Allnic SUT is far superior.) I also want a one-box solution, so no external power supply.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If you just want to enjoy only LP, there's no way around Thöress preamp 6 phono inputs. 5 with internal transformers 65db gain can be very flexibly adjusted (ohm)and 1 input MM 45db gain for your allnic sut. If you want, you can influence the Riaa equalization with three rotary controls. For example, making a bad recording sound better. Read the description maybe something for you, last price i know 9.5 k€
3281829348_0_g.jpg thoress_1.jpg

Reactions: Artnet and Tangram

Republicoftexas69

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
If you just want to enjoy only LP, there's no way around Thöress preamp 6 phono inputs. 5 with internal transformers 65db gain can be very flexibly adjusted (ohm)and 1 input MM 45db gain for your allnic sut. If you want, you can influence the Riaa equalization with three rotary controls. For example, making a bad recording sound better. Read the description maybe something for you, last price i know 9.5 k€
View attachment 119591 View attachment 119592
I’m looking for a preamp with a built-in phono preamp. I do see, however, that Thoress makes one. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
Modwright LS100
IMG_4472.jpeg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I’m looking for a preamp with a built-in phono preamp. I do see, however, that Thoress makes one. Thanks.
No problem another version of this available. That preamp has no adjustment of the riaa or for mono cartridge inputs. 4 line stage inputs+3 phono inputs and 2 outputs
thoeress-preamplifier-rear.jpg

Reactions: Artnet and Tangram

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
No problem another version of this available. That preamp has no adjustment of the riaa or for mono cartridge inputs. 4 line stage inputs+3 phono inputs and 2 outputs
View attachment 119611
Perfect. Other than the two extra phono inputs that’s exactly what I have in mind. Will it beat the E.A.R.? I have a local Thoress dealer so hopefully I can find that out for myself.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Republicoftexas69

Thanks! Very interesting. This isn’t a brand I’ve seen in Canada but I’ll investigate.
Constantine at Atelier-13 can help you. He may know who in Canada.

Reactions: Tangram

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Apart from the Thores above, I can thoroughly recommend the CAT pre. By used if necessary, you can happily upgrade the tubes to your liking if you so wish. The rest doesn't need any maintenance
Very crisp and pleasantly resolving, with sought-after, tubes', explosive dynamics.
Similarly with the EAR yoshino 968(? something like that)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I used its big brother the MP-1 for several years. Top quality build, top quality sound.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Back in the day I was very pleased with the Audible Illusions Modulus 3b. I see it has been updated and apparently it is still being produced.

I have no idea how it might compare with an E.A.R or a Thoress perhaps it has had its day in the sun.

Reactions: mtemur and Tangram

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Thanks everyone for chiming in with options. There are a number of new-to-me-names, which was what I was hoping for. Now I just need to line up a couple to try out in my system. In the meantime, I’m comparing some Siemens and Amperex tubes to see if I have an obvious preference between the two.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I’ve been trying out a Miyajima EC-5. Totally different sonic character. In car terms, the EAR is a Cadillac, whereas the Miyajima is a Lotus. I prefer a cushy ride.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
If you’re open to used vintage gear, one of the older ARC preamps—-SP3, SP6 or SP8—or a Conrad Johnson PV5 would do nicely.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
If you’re open to used vintage gear, one of the older ARC preamps—-SP3, SP6 or SP8—or a Conrad Johnson PV5 would do nicely.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I’m set on a line stage with onboard phono.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, but I’m set on a line stage with onboard phono.
The ARC and CJ models are full function preamps—-MM phono and line.

For newly manufactured preamps, the Audio Note M3, M5, M6 and M8 are available with MM phono and linestage in a single chassis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing