Chronosonic XVX.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think we should actually review a speaker we do not like. I mean review them sensibly in the same manner we review speakers we like. This will give buyers more perspective of both the speaker we like and not like. Also get to learn more about the preference of that reviewer consequently. The more info the better.

Although I agree such knowledge of reviewer preference would be useful for wise and knowledgeable readers it would be a foolish and dangerous game for the industry.

Besides we can never know for sure if we dislike a particular component because of its performance or because we were not able to assemble a system in a room that makes it perform to its designer full objectives.

You refer to "sensibly reviewing" - IMHO such thing is not possible if we dislike the component, the designer or even the quality of manufacture. Reviewers are humans and the high-end is an extremely subjective hobby, filled with biases. Except for those exposing evident objective failures I do not remember of any negative review I can consider fair and of use.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have been invited over to hear the XVX at Absolute Sounds who have an absolute killer set up with several sets of amplification and the AF Tech Zero. Need to find some time, but look forward to it!

If it was not for the mandatory Covid testing I would be very happy to fly and join you in such visit. Listening to the XVX's in proper conditions is on the top of my audiophile wish list, Ricardo is a good friend since long and I had great experiences in his listening room in Wimbledon.

Looking to read from you about your listening session.

Reactions: matakana

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That would indeed be fun! They also have one of your favorite sets of amplification there apparently...the Constellation Altair II and Hercules II! And no doubt Transparent Audio's Opus Magnus...

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Just FYI, I believe Martin Colloms is publishing a full report in the next issue of HiFi Critic on a listening session to the XVX at Absolute Sounds. Issue out later this month.

Reactions: darkmatter

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I have spoken from time to time with Martin Colloms about the big Wilsons. Always incredibly generous with his guidance and insights.

Reactions: darkmatter

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is this demo going to be part of the Lars tube amp demo that Guillaume has secured?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, I have spoken from time to time with Martin Colloms about the big Wilsons. Always incredibly generous with his guidance and insights.

Interesting that he went from Wilson to Magico and now to Fink. I like that he keeps a sense of perspective and is not seduced by the stupidly expensive stuff - he always pays for his kit, no indefinite loans.

I also appreciate that he is one of the few people who can describe a product for a range of possible people and not just for his taste.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Interesting that he went from Wilson to Magico and now to Fink. I like that he keeps a sense of perspective and is not seduced by the stupidly expensive stuff - he always pays for his kit, no indefinite loans.

I also appreciate that he is one of the few people who can describe a product for a range of possible people and not just for his taste.
martin colloms is a legend of a reviewer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree.

Reactions: ashandger

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is this demo going to be part of the Lars tube amp demo that Guillaume has secured?
If you are referring to my own hearing the XVX, the answer is almost certainly no. If I hear the XVX, it will be at Absolute Sounds so their electronics and sources.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah, my bad. AS is not KJ L.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been invited over to hear the XVX at Absolute Sounds who have an absolute killer set up . . .

Does their set-up include the Master Subsonics? Those solve your desire to add subwoofers to Arrakis.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Right before the pandemic begun, I listened to them at the Innovative show-room in Manhattan.

Peter McGrath was running the show, this the big Wilson driven by D’Agostino preamp and monoblocks, Berkeley Ref 3 and Transparent cables.

needless to say, they sounded awesome.
But I also have to admit that the demo with Sasha DAW, the same monoblocks and the Linn Klimax DSM as DAC-pre was stunning as well. This to say that the “smaller” Wilson render a huge percentage of the 10x more expensive XVX

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Right before the pandemic begun, I listened to them at the Innovative show-room in Manhattan.

Peter McGrath was running the show, this the big Wilson driven by D’Agostino preamp and monoblocks, Berkeley Ref 3 and Transparent cables.

needless to say, they sounded awesome.
But I also have to admit that the demo with Sasha DAW, the same monoblocks and the Linn Klimax DSM as DAC-pre was stunning as well. This to say that the “smaller” Wilson render a huge percentage of the 10x more expensive XVX
That is good news.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
my wife, Lee scoggins (absolute sound) and i had a private demo of the XVX system with Larry Marcus of Paragon Site and Sound a few months back. Larry provided a very good room (13 foot ceilings) that did justice to such a grande system. We tried both d'agostino relentless and Burmester 909 mk5 monos. I personally preferred the 909. Front end was a full dCS Vivaldi stack, analog was a Clear Audio Statement tt.

the goal of the trip was to potentially experience a speaker system that i felt was superior to my coveted Gryphon Trident II and give me ideas for new path forward.

A quick skip forward, My ah hah moment came on Brian Bromberg’s album Wood first track The saga of harrison crabfeathers. Brian starts with a wonderful upright bass solo. The Wilson were amazing good , the instrument was rendered more realistic and pure than my Trident II by a fair margin. Each pluck held no resonance, nothing to cloud the wonderful illusion of the instrument in front of me. The Tridents are good at bass in fact most bass especially bass drum where they equal the Wilsons but this particular instrument was far better on the XVX system. Overall the Wilsons rendered the music with even more clarity and a bit more impact in the mid range.

I still prefer the Mundorf AMT tweeter of the Trident especially on piano but the soft dome Wilson tweeter is very good, much improved over the older metallic drivers. The lack of cabinet resonance and the time alignment of the drivers i am guessing give the Wilson about a 20 To 25% overall performance improvement over the Tridents (even more on the upright bass) but at twice the price. I do think its worth the jump tho.
Many thanks to Larry! What a wonderful host. He is true gentleman with extreme knowledge of his craft. i would feel very comfortable knowing his setup would be spot on and his after sale service exemplary.

Next speaker for me to audition is the Gryphon Kodo system. Looking forward to a trip to Denmark in the not too distant future with Joe Cali. Then its hard decisions time. Yes the Tridents can be improved upon but at an extreme cost.

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
my wife, Lee scoggins (absolute sound) and i had a private demo of the XVX system with Larry Marcus of Paragon Site and Sound a few months back. Larry provided a very good room (13 foot ceilings) that did justice to such a grande system. We tried both d'agostino relentless and Burmester 909 mk5 monos. I personally preferred the 909. Front end was a full dCS Vivaldi stack, analog was a Clear Audio Statement tt.

the goal of the trip was to potentially experience a speaker system that i felt was superior to my coveted Gryphon Trident II and give me ideas for new path forward.

A quick skip forward, My ah hah moment came on Brian Bromberg’s album Wood first track The saga of harrison crabfeathers. Brian starts with a wonderful upright bass solo. The Wilson were amazing good , the instrument was rendered more realistic and pure than my Trident II by a fair margin. Each pluck held no resonance, nothing to cloud the wonderful illusion of the instrument in front of me. The Tridents are good at bass in fact most bass especially bass drum where they equal the Wilsons but this particular instrument was far better on the XVX system. Overall the Wilsons rendered the music with even more clarity and a bit more impact in the mid range.

I still prefer the Mundorf AMT tweeter of the Trident especially on piano but the soft dome Wilson tweeter is very good, much improved over the older metallic drivers. The lack of cabinet resonance and the time alignment of the drivers i am guessing give the Wilson about a 20 To 25% overall performance improvement over the Tridents (even more on the upright bass) but at twice the price. I do think its worth the jump tho.

Many thanks to Larry! What a wonderful host. He is true gentleman with extreme knowledgeable of his craft. i would feel very comfortable knowing his setup would be spot on and his after sale service exemplary.

Next speaker for me to audition is the Gryphon Kodo system. Looking forward to a trip to Denmark in the not too distant future with Joe Cali. Then its hard decisions time. Yes the Tridents can be improved upon but at an extreme cost.
Your very lucky to experience such an amazing system.congratulations on that.

Reactions: HughP3

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Many thanks to Larry! What a wonderful host. He is true gentleman with extreme knowledge of his craft. i would feel very comfortable knowing his setup would be spot on and his after sale service exemplary.

Great stuff!! You have a sensational system (and room by the looks of it) with great electronics. My personal experience is that Gryphon and Wilson work well together...the dynamic capability, sheer unbridled power and depth of tone suit the big Wilsons that can absorb and use high quality power. We lived happily with this combination for nearly 11 years and only very very recently have stepped away towards Robert Koda.

But we remain big fans of Wilson and ourselves are planning on hearing the XVX at some point this year when we have some time, perhaps next month.

Very much look forward to hearing what you think of the mighty 4-tower Kodo...and of course then there is the XVX plus its own tower subs the Subsonics!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing