Chronosonic XVX.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
XLF will sell between $65-80k for factory reconditioned in excellent to near mint
condition me thinks. I don’t see $50k or less being very realistic. I may even be a buyer at $65k;)
. . .

As for used values, Wilson has for about 4 years now (officially, ad hoc for years before that) had a comprehensive trade in program in North America designed to treat the customer fairly as well as offer Certified AuthenticTM Wilson products to those who are interested. Certified AuthenticTM offers a used Wilson buyer a new buying experience with a used Wilson speaker. Since Wilson is willing to pay the dealer for a trade in based on actual retail market value, our used speakers not only reflect the market but insure that if the dealer does not wish to keep the trade in, Wilson will take it. Based on history ( we have been taking X2 and XLF in trade on WAMMs for a couple of years now), I would expect XLF trade ins to be in the 50%-65% of original retail range. Remember too that unlike a single retailer taking a trade in, Wilson Audio has a world wide network of established distributors and dealers who will happily buy a Certified AuthenticTM pair of Wilson speakers to sell to a client in their market.

. . .

This is a wonderful business model of which I was previously unaware. Thank you for explaining this!

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Wilson Audio RMAF 2019 Schedule

XVX detail.jpg

With Rocky Mountain Audio Fest right around the corner, we’re excited to share with you our latest Loudspeaker, Chronosonic XVX located in Room 11115. Chronosonic XVX will be featured on static display alongside our Wilson Audio Subsonic, WAMM Master Chronosonic and WAMM Master Subsonic. Display in located in our suites’s adjoining room.

Chronosonic XVX will be on static display during the following times:

Thursday, Sep 5: 1:00PM - 2:00PM Opened to Press
Friday, Sep 6: 10:00AM - 6:00PM: Opened to Public
Saturday, Sep 7: at 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Sunday, Sep 8: CLOSED

In the adjacent room, listers can enjoy our active system, in collaboration with VTL in suite 11115. Our active system gear list is as follows:

SPEAKERS:
Wilson Audio - Sasha DAW
Wilson Audio - WATCH Dog (Passive Pair)

ELECTRONICS:
Wilson Audio - ActivXO (NEW)
VTL - TL7.5 Series III Reference Preamplifier
VTL - S-400 Series II Reference Stereo Amplifier
dCS - Vivaldi One

RACK:
Grand Prix Audio - Four Shelf Monza

CABLES AND POWER PRODUCTS:
Shunyata Research - Denali 6000
Full Shunyata Research Speaker and Power Cables (including both Sigma and Alpha series)

Reactions: Joe P

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What colour is on display? That beautifully sexy purple I hope.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
This is a wonderful business model of which I was previously unaware. Thank you for explaining this!

There were dozen or so Alexia for sale on AG at a fixed price (~$30K) for a very long time (Now it is the Sasha 2). I doubt any were sold at that asking price (there is one on AG now for $22K – and it is not moving). The used market all over the world is very soft these days. In the end, someone has to pay the bills. That may explain some of these ridicules prices we see. Imagine you just bought a WAMM and now realize you could have bought a WAMM minus only two 7” drivers (XVX) and saved $350K :oops:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There were dozen or so Alexia for sale on AG at a fixed price (~$30K) for a very long time (Now it is the Sasha 2). I doubt any were sold at that asking price (there is one on AG now for $22K – and it is not moving). The used market all over the world is very soft these days. In the end, someone has to pay the bills. That may explain some of these ridicules prices we see. Imagine you just bought a WAMM and now realize you could have bought a WAMM minus only two 7” drivers (XVX) and saved $350K :oops:

Wilson is attempting to keep prices in the secondary market high by buying back trade ins from their dealers. Great strategy if it works, but you need deep pockets and willing retailers.

Reactions: tima

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Wilson is attempting to keep prices in the secondary market high by buying back trade ins from their dealers. Great strategy if it works, but you need deep pockets and willing retailers.
4X7” woofers, for $350K, will, indeed, yield very deep pockets.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I suspect dealers are very willing; trade-ins become desirable rather than a liability. Factory reconditioning makes it easier for dealers to sell used. I've heard it is v successful so buyers likely see value in reconditioning.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I suspect dealers are very willing; trade-ins become desirable rather than a liability. Factory reconditioning makes it easier for dealers to sell used. I've heard it is v successful so buyers likely see value in reconditioning.

It's based on the car industry's system of "Certified Pre-owned Cars." Take control of the used market, add minimum value, and most importantly keep the pricing disparity between new and used as small as possible.

Reactions: KeithR

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Value is subjective. Dealer support might have no value to you, but it might not be the case for others, who end up buying a used Wilson, not installing/positioning it properly, and in the end, not getting their money's worth.
A warranty (which IS included in the Wilson Certified Pre-owned program -- even for older, discontinued products), might likewise be of no value to you, but that is certainly not the case for a lot of buyers.
I think Wilson is on to something, and I certainly wish other manufacturers, specially ones with a lot of history and products under their belt, would do something similar.

Reactions: sujay and ashandger

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

Almost 90% of the speakers taken on trade are resold by the dealer taking them in on trade. Wilson actually buys back very few speakers, though that is always an option to the dealer. The values are based on the actual used market and updated as the market shifts.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
It's based on the car industry's system of "Certified Pre-owned Cars." Take control of the used market, add minimum value, and most importantly keep the pricing disparity between new and used as small as possible.

Certified Pre-Owned is now a category unto itself in the car industry. Virtually every manufacturer has some form of it. Some buyers are simply not new car buyers, whether for sales price, depreciation concerns, budget, etc. They also prefer the comfort of manufacturer warranty and service instead of buying from a regular used car dealer. That CPO remains a growing segment of the automobile market bears that out.

Reactions: PeterA and asiufy

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Exactly @jeffrey_t . And similarly whatever they take on trade comes out of the XVX side of the transaction. I do think its a nice option for customers who upgrade often as its an easy solution - and dealers can install the speakers better than most.

Several of the X2s on this forum were bought for $50k in the refurb days by a certain dealer. This is probably not far from where XLFs will ultimately trade. Super high end speakers (>40k) depreciate heavily as Elliot has shared. Sasha Is have held value much, much better than any of the upper tier Wilsons.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

You will always see the most used units of a discontinued model in the year following the release of it replacement. Wilson owners tend to upgrade over time.

We have some dealers and distributors who have standing orders for discontinued Certified Authentic speakers. They run ads continually. Finding new friends by selling Certified Authentic is a big part of their business model. They understand that the most likely person to buy a Wilson already owns one. New Wilson owners buying used Wilson is a great way to grow their market.

What I can't explain are non Wilson dealer resellers who seem to stockpile Wilsons. I guess they find a decent market in used Wilson product as well.

Reactions: Joe P and asiufy

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Almost 90% of the speakers taken on trade are resold by the dealer taking them in on trade. Wilson actually buys back very few speakers, though that is always an option to the dealer. The values are based on the actual used market and updated as the market shifts.

There have been several MAXX 3's that have sold for sub $25K on Audiogon, I know because I was looking to buy a pair in the past. Currently there is a "Certified Pre Owned" for sale on Audiogon for $35K. This price seems to be outside of what the "actual used market" is for these speakers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Have there been any reports of the larger Wilson's attacking and eating their owners?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing