Cartridge for Breuer 8C MkII

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I'm seeking suggestions for a cartridge to complement my newly acquired Breuer. Budget is up to $6K, but I have a little flexibility. I already have a XV1-t on a Schroeder CB, so am seeking a different sound. I listen to a lot of jazz, pop, rock, electronica and singer-songwriter. Thanks!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’d recommend a koetsu platinum with rosewood or one of the stone bodied Ones if you can stretch to that. My personal choice but sure you will receive many appropriate alternatives. Good luck with your search

Reactions: Walnut Horns

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What is the effective mass and supported cart weight range? I looked around a bit but didn't find it...

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
On the light side then. I'm sure people with direct experience will chime in. The Zyx offerings might be worth a look...

Also, this could be an opportunity to scout out one of the uber MM carts of the early 80s for a different flavor. They can be found NOS at times. Or maybe a Garrot?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
possibly the Etsuro Bordeaux? it's the little brother to my Etsuro Gold.

https://etsurojapan.com/product/bordeaux

it's one i would be thinking about. i was going to also mention the Sumile, but it's a bit heavier. i owned a Koetsu RSP for 10 years. lovely......but......lovely and rounded. i liked having it in my drawer knowing i could listen to it, but after the first year, it was too limiting to have a steady diet of it. just one guy's opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walnut Horns

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I owned several Breuer tone arms and cartridges, in fact I brought them into the USA for a period of time during the early 1980s. My wife and I would make part of our European vacation around visiting him. Really interesting gentleman and great to work with.?
?
The 8C MK2 is much evolved from that time but the original Breuer looked almost identical and I know it was designed and voiced around the EMT motor. Breuer bought from EMT, added a Mu Metal cover and contracted a custom diamond from Van Den Hul.
?
I would be interested in reading your test results, in my system the Breuer arm and cartridge had the tendency to get bright very quick, extremely sensitive to load and tracking force.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
When I had Breuer 8c mkii. I tried three different cartridges on it. A Dynavector XV-1S, a Miyabi/47 and a Allaerts. The Allaerts was a really nice match. Much better than the others.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Dynavector XV1S prefers medium-heavier arms. Everyone (that I know) that proclaims it tilted up in response tried it on a light arm...

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I've owned three Breuer Arms and in my opinion still today one of the finest pivoted arms ever. I used it with the stripped down EMTs( sans the TSD casings/etc) Allaerts, Decca London,Koetsu Long body Onyx-the latter a tad overweight I felt .

I used to correspond with Herr Breuer-I used a friend to write for me in Swiss German as no English in the Breuer household (well then anyway!)and all Air mail in those days.I think I still have an Arm wiring kit he sent me somewhere --I'll pass it one WH if I can find it :p!

But a classic Arm WH and you will enjoy immensely --Kudos and good listening:)

BruceD

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Dynavector XV1S prefers medium-heavier arms. Everyone (that I know) that proclaims it tilted up in response tried it on a light arm...
Someone said the same thing to me. I've never heard my Dynavector sound tilted up, but I've always used it in heavier arms. Currently sounds great in my Schroder CB.

Reactions: Solypsa

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'm seeking suggestions for a cartridge to complement my newly acquired Breuer. Budget is up to $6K, but I have a little flexibility. I already have a XV1-t on a Schroeder CB, so am seeking a different sound. I listen to a lot of jazz, pop, rock, electronica and singer-songwriter. Thanks!

Pop, rock, electronica - Lyra Atlas is your cartridge.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Does anyone know how to align a cartridge with the Breuer 8 tonearm? the Breuer tonearm is too short for all the protractors I have and read that is normal?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Really?--I cannot recall any hiccups myself with the 8C Arm at 231mm P to S it was the longer of that series.
I suggest your drop message to J.R. Boisclair here on the forum-I'm sure he can have a solution for you.
My favourite pivoted arm--kudos!
Good luck,
BruceD

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Right, crazy, the instructions say just to square it on the headshell and put stylus 4mm past the headshell. It sounds great but seemingly hardly accurate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing