Cardas Clear Beyond XL Phono Cable

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone use, or have direct experience with, Cardas Clear Beyond XL phono cable?

7C5BAC95-6EE8-4B9B-9DEB-9F121360366F.jpeg

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Interesting timing Ron, I have no experience with the cables but just re-read the Positive Feedback review from last July. I have been contemplating an upgrade of phono cable for a long time as my current cable is the ‘reference’ level cable that was offered with original AMG v12 turntables (a couple lessor models were options too). The reference was made by Cardas.

With my new cartridge displaying such a remarkable improvement over my LPS, I just started talking with Mik in the UK about a phono cable. Of course he offered the top of mountain version MikeL recently raved about, but that is a step beyond for me currently (Superlative says Mik) so I’m looking at another he is offering ”remarkable thing, promise quite special” about half the price.

The double wired shotgun approach of the Clear Beyond XL reminds me of a modification I made to my water feature in the back yard. The original builder used two (terribly inefficient) high output pumps each into a single 3” pipe. The friction losses over the long run to the top of the pond really mounted up, so the output of each pump was half what it would be had the builder chosen a larger diameter pipe. When one pump died I did some engineering geekiness and found a single pump that would offer more flow than the other two combined, with about 80% of the electrical cost. But to get that efficiency I split the output from the single pump into both the 3” lines. I wonder if perhaps the same ligic is what gives the Clear Beyond XL the performance leap over the Clear Beyond the reviewer describes?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Great timing, indeed!

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
The cable arrived today. I left it to acclimate for a couple of hours then I connected it. First impression very positive: open, defined, organic. Very good flow. All this is quite rare for a new cable IMHO. Will give another update at the end of the week.
6BD1DDB4-773D-401A-A208-A7FCFF7A4785.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a great start! Thank you for the update, and please keep us closely posted!

Is there anything special to know when ordering the cable from Cardas with a DIN connector? Is there some variability with regard to the fifth pin on a DIN connector?

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
From the Cardas brochure:”Custom terminations including Cardas R-DIN and SME 90° DIN connections are available.”

In my understanding there are only options regarding the shape of DIN connector.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The cable arrived today. I left it to acclimate for a couple of hours then I connected it. First impression very positive: open, defined, organic. Very good flow. All this is quite rare for a new cable IMHO. Will give another update at the end of the week.
View attachment 72193

What phono cable is this Cardas cable replacing, if any?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Does anyone use, or have direct experience with, Cardas Clear Beyond XL phono cable?

I don't know how much help this will be, but M.Fremer did an article on tone arm wiring options from Franc Kuzma for the 4Point tonearm. The article covers Cardas Clear (not Beyond XL), Kondo, Crystal Cable Silver Monocrystal and the stock/default Crystal Cable Silver/Gold. You don't get his opinion but you do get 4 .aiff files to download for sampling each wire.

Do Tonearm Cables Make a Sonic Difference? You Decide!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know how much help this will be, but M.Fremer did an article on tone arm wiring options from Franc Kuzma for the 4Point tonearm. The article covers Cardas Clear (not Beyond XL), Kondo, Crystal Cable Silver Monocrystal and the stock/default Crystal Cable Silver/Gold. You don't get his opinion but you do get 4 .aiff files to download for sampling each wire.

Do Tonearm Cables Make a Sonic Difference? You Decide!
Thank you!

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
View attachment 72193
Do you have an update/review?

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
And so would I :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing