Can we actually discuss What is Best on this forum?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
OK Elliot. The question I asked in the OP has now been answered. Even with groups of categories, a totally inoffensive concept, it does not seem that here on WBF we can discuss what is best on a forum with that title.

Thanks everyone for responding to my thread.

Peter

Peter , may be you can ask steve and ron to change the name of the forum.

Something like " almost the best forum" or " everyones best forum " and " whatever is best forum ."

.......Peter there is no whats best , you re hunting an utopia a fata morgana., you re searching for some sort of recognition/ overall agreement you ll never gonna find

If there was a whats best designers would all be making the same stuff , they re all making different products using different techniques in according as to what they think sounds " Natural '

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Jon

Oct 23, 2012
Maybe the name of the site should be changed to What Might Be Best.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dare you best my best forum

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I’ve always thought the name of the forum meant “What’s the Best” to different individuals. It doesn’t make sense to think that it means what’s the best period as there are so many brands and dealers carrying different equipment. The name is fine IMO.

Reactions: Rensselaer

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As long as people explain why they consider it the(ir) best, preferably referring to a couple of recordings and do not denigrate other components, I am happy with the forum name.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Normally if there is a disagreement in society a judge is called in .

Some external " professional " who can say this is the best and thats it no more discussion

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As long as people explain why they consider it the(ir) best, preferably referring to a couple of recordings and do not denigrate other components, I am happy with the forum name.

Yes, as long as I am left in peace enjoying my preferred UnNatural Sound(TM) I'm happy.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
"[Redacted]™" has certainly shot upwards nearer the top of my potential future system thread titles. Once the legalities were swept aside I would become the only customer of a trademark registered business.

Hint: Four letter acronym half exposed by System Thread™ :p

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
with all due respect, i had looked to see if your post was a specific reaction to another recent post in this thread, bringing up the Wadax in some other context. i saw nothing to support an alternate interpretation than the one i made. sure; i'm not the only Wadax Ref owner here, but i'm by far the most active about it. if your post was about non WBF Wadax owners, then maybe you might have mentioned that. it seemed at least partly aimed at me. and not that you were casting negative ideas about it. just throwing it out there for a reaction.

but i would like to hear about your local Wadax owners and the dacs they moved on from. maybe not on this thread unless it's relevant to "what is best". i do agree completely that committing those assets toward a dac is proof of a confidence it's the best. not any fact, just the feeling about it.
Mike. Are you one of those who cannot decide if wadax is better than what you had before but you buy one anyway? If you are then my post includes (not aimed at) you 100% not partially. I did not aim at you. It was a general statement. I was talking about how one should be able to decide if equipment a is better than b especially when he is buying it ... have big money to do so. Wadax happens to be mentioned as an illustration.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike. Are you one of those who cannot decide if wadax is better than what you had before but you buy one anyway?
you always treat me with respect. always. even when you pull my chain. i hope you know i try to be the same toward you.

i have full confidence in my Wadax decision. the head to head in January was not even a contest really. lately even much more (software update boost). it is awesome. but people don't want to hear it. so lately i don't say it much. don't need the grief. it sucks in negativity. like i'm dissing their child.

i suppose some buy things because they are the new shiny toy. or the old venerable fashion statement. or whatever makes them feel righteous. not because of performance. these things do happen. as much as possible i try to listen and directly compare. in my own system. but it's not always possible.

If you are then my post includes (not aimed at) you 100% not partially. I did not aim at you. It was a general statement. I was talking about how one should be able to decide if equipment a is better than b especially when he is buying it ... have big money to do so. Wadax happens to be mentioned as an illustration.

i misunderstood your intensions. sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
you always treat me with respect. always. even when you pull my chain. i hope you know i try to be the same toward you.

i have full confidence in my Wadax decision. the head to head in January was not even a contest really. lately even much more (software update boost). it is awesome. but people don't want to hear it. so lately i don't say it much. don't need the grief. it sucks in negativity. like i'm dissing their child.

i suppose some buy things because they are the new shiny toy. or the old venerable fashion statement. or whatever makes them feel righteous. not because of performance. these things do happen. as much as possible i try to listen and directly compare. in my own system. but it's not always possible.

Mike, your interest and purchase of the WADAX has me interested. When it comes time to purchase a new DAC it is on my short list. So, the more you and others post about it allows me (and I’m sure others as well) observe the larger picture of WADAX really is.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Mike, I have no doubt you made your decision to purchase the WADAX with full confidence. I did the same with my new turntable after directly comparing it to two others in my system for a month.

What I don’t understand is why people react to your enthusiasm for a new purchase as a denigration of their choices. Your decision has nothing to do with their decisions. I never read you denigrating other products when you describe something that you have just bought. Their offense over your enthusiasm is a complete mystery to me.

I encourage you to keep describing your listening impressions as you have them as long as you are interested in doing so and forget about the negative reactions.

Reactions: exupgh12

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
OK Elliot. The question I asked in the OP has now been answered. Even with groups of categories, a totally inoffensive concept, it does not seem that here on WBF we can discuss what is best on a forum with that title.

Thanks everyone for responding to my thread.

Peter
Excellent Peter. Very direct to the heading of this thread. I also got my answer as you saw it. No longer need to participate in this thread for you and me.

I may have some comment to make in regard to negativity Mike has experienced which I feel the same way as him. But will write in the Wadax thread instead.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I have no doubt you made your decision to purchase the WADAX with full confidence. I did the same with my new turntable after directly comparing it to two others in my system for a month.
it's fun to have great sources. and do the work to have the confidence and answer your own questions. then go enjoy, and maybe share your thoughts which is satisfying to write, and might help others. that's where your head is at.
What I don’t understand is why people react to your enthusiasm for a new purchase as a denigration of their choices. Your decision has nothing to do with their decisions. I never read you denigrating other products when you describe something that you have just bought. Their offense over your enthusiasm is a complete mystery to me.
i'm not sure why the Wadax brings this reaction. or maybe me and the Wadax. one can guess.

we can have threads talking about perceptions of particular pressings, and tt's and cartridges that can go on forever, and it's celebrated. encouraged. but talk about uber digital and it brings the ire.
I encourage you to keep describing your listening impressions as you have them as long as you are interested in doing so and forget about the negative reactions.
i've started a few Wadax posts but then my mind plays it out and i just pass. do i want to deal with the negativity? or do i need to dumb down my enthusiasm enough to not step on toes? better to just dim the lights and listen. is the forum better for that?

i don't come to the forum looking for a conflict. when i get tempted to post negative things, mostly i don't hit send, or delete them soon after posting. one wants to confront wrongs, but then seeing around the bend of the thread it's just a waste and ends up sucking you down.

Reactions: XV-1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . it does not seem that here on WBF we can discuss what is best on a forum with that title.

The topic of your thread has been discussed successfully for 17 pages. The fact that the discussion did not result in an overwhelming consensus supporting your personal view does not mean that the topic has not been discussed.

How do you conclude that 17 pages of discussion on a topic means that that topic cannot be discussed?

You even note that your question has been answered. If the topic had not been discussed, how could your question have been answered?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, your interest and purchase of the WADAX has me interested. When it comes time to purchase a new DAC it is on my short list. So, the more you and others post about it allows me (and I’m sure others as well) observe the larger picture of WADAX really is.
thank you Joe. i will try to share my thoughts about it as i can.

Reactions: Audire

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The topic of your thread has been discussed successfully for 17 pages. The fact that the discussion did not result in an overwhelming consensus supporting your personal view does not mean that the topic has not been discussed.

How do you conclude that 17 pages of discussion on a topic means that that topic cannot be discussed?

You even note that your question has been answered. If the topic had not been discussed, how could your question have been answered?

Ron, that is interesting. You and I have reached a completely different conclusion from the 17 pages. Yes indeed there are 17 pages of discussions. But the discussion is about the impossibility of naming a best or even a group of best. Or it is about basketball players or types of food. You even made car analogies.

After 17 pages, my question has been answered because no one was willing to discuss or even nominate a top audio product or group of products. There has been a discussion, but not a discussion about the intent of the title.
I made one nomination and got attacked ruthlessly. I named a product and actually gave a rationale for my nomination. And people criticized me for not having heard every cartridge in the world and every system in every room, or naming a cartridge that few people have heard and that is no longer available, or the hysterical opinion that a cartridge might be invented in the future that will be better or that in the future our descendants might be listening to music completely differently so it’s not legitimate to nominate a single cartridge as the best. So the conclusion I reach is that a best cannot be discussed. I tried and was flatly rejected.

I discuss what I think is best or what they think is best with people away from this forum. And that is how I learn things. These are friendly respectful discussions. We can’t have those here on this topic. That is obvious to me. No one was willing to discuss the cartridge I nominated, and Elliot who proposed groups of products in different categories was not even willing to name components he would put in the top category. How is that any kind of discussion?

I have my answer and I will try to sit on my fingers from now on as I have nothing more to contribute to this thread, but I thought I would show you the respect and respond to your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and Rensselaer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing