Cable Burn-in Devices - Looking for Recommendations

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I'm looking for recommendations on devices to speed up the burn-in on cables (Power, Interconnect, Speaker). Even better if it's something that can work on components and speakers; so far the only thing I've ever encountered in that area are the break-in playback files.

The Hagerman FryBaby looks to be one option that is reasonably priced. Wondering if there's anything else out there I should take a look at?

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I own a FryBaby which I've used on all my cables, I can't explain why but it does seem to work, the cables sounding much "richer" after treatment with more extended treble and bass. I've also lent it to friends who have experienced the same. The biggest impact was on tonearm cables, presumably because the FryBaby applies a much higher current than they would usually receive. I assume that regular use would achieve the same end results, just over a much more extended period.

I've also used it on new step up transformers and phono stages and again have been pleased with the results.

I also own the Hagerman equivalent for power cables (Frycorder) but haven't found that so effective, maybe because my power cables were already well burned in.

Both devices were very cheap, at least in hifi terms, so I felt they were worth a try and was pleased with the results from using the FryBaby. The jury is still out on the Frycorder though I am going to try some new power cords after Christmas so will be able to see if it works better on new power cables.

David Whistance

Reactions: Jaguar

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I also own the Hagerman Frybaby. It was relatively low in cost which seemed appropriate to infrequent use and I read no downside from other users. I bought it to use on signal cables and for those receiving its application a small but clearly audible improvement occured. Similar to what dwhistance notes, I speculate the most significant benefit is to tonearm cables because the millivolts they pass are probably not enough to ever burn them in.

Here is the Frybaby in use on the Kondo wiring in my Kuzma 4Point. I made an adapter cable (red wires) for easy attachment of the cartridge clips.

DSC01637.JPG

DSC01641.JPG

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
I has been using the Audiodharma cable cooker 2.5 Pro version for many years with great results.

CC copia.jpg

I replaced it by the 3.5 Anniversary Edition HI-POWER Premium Plus. This version comes with a device to bunr in the earth conductor of power cords too and I like the results more than the previous version I had.

E316E3BA_342B_4A97_8AB0_67722D8BFFBC copia.jpg CABLE_COOK.3 copia.jpg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just install the cables and let them burn in from use. Works great.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I has been using the Audiodharma cable cooker 2.5 Pro version for many years with great results.

View attachment 71856

I replaced it by the 3.5 Anniversary Edition HI-POWER Premium Plus. This version comes with a device to bunr in the earth conductor of power cords too and I like the results more than the previous version I had.

View attachment 71858 View attachment 71857

I also have the Audiodharma Anniversary high power cooker. I have not compared it to other cookers except the version I had previously, I agree it seems a little better.

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ditto on the Audiodharma 3.5 Anniversary. As well, support from Alan Kafton at Audio Excellenze AZ was prompt and on point both before and after purchase.

Reactions: Jaguar and CKKeung

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
An alternative may be the purist audio design burn in cd that does the system as a whole?

Reactions: facten

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Old topic. Still fun to discuss

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Nordost has juat launched a new cable burn-in machine called Vidar 2.

nordost_vidar2_014-1536x1152.jpg

Here is the details (please read with google translate) :

Nordost seems to sell the machine to Nordost dealers only.
But most of the dealers offer cable burn-in and/or re-conditioning services for their Nordost customers.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks, everyone. I'm going with the Audioharma. The Hagerman is a relatively good deal but a more durable device is probably better for my use. I'm skeptical that it makes sense to buy wiring and connector upgrades for this type of application, so I would go for the Classic model but a slight discount for dealers led me to spend a bit more for the next level up.

For anyone who is interested, I came across this free burn-in file download.

https://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in-download

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I all my years of audio (45)years.I found the best way to break in a cable is just to
use it and break it in naturally.In the end it sounds way better.
Robert

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Nordost CBID and Blue Horizon Pro Burn Cable Cooker Device!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
To complicate things there is also a mechanical aspect to cable burn-in. Shipping new cables, or even removing them from a system then replacing them, sets the cable back and requires more burn-in. I believe this is because the position of the conductor vs dielectric shifts to it's most relaxed position over time and with handling, a mechanical de-stressing process if you will... I send people demo cables and my demos stop exhibiting this behavior over time, while new cables are greatly effected. The old demo cables have mechanically settled over time, new cables have not. So, this is a major issue for those building or selling cables, it makes it nearly impossible to give a customer a fully burned-in cable. I have some ideas to overcome this issue, but I can say that electrical burn-in is only one part of the puzzle.

Also, most find that periodic re-burning using a cable cooker results in optimal performance, much like cleaning your tube sockets and electrical contacts. So for those looking for the that last percentage of fidelity, owning a cable cooker and using it once or twice annually when you're cleaning your electrical contacts makes sense.

Reactions: Cellcbern and Rocoa

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'd been wondering about the Hagerman, and found a used FryBaby3 on the cheap, so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm more curious about what the circuit actually does, than how it affects the sound of cables. But as long as I have it, I may as well try to assess both.

First, I was curious what kind of bandwidth the device had. Roughly, I'm seeing full amplitude signaling between 0 Hz and 200 kHz, with a bunch of high frequency content in the noise. Also note the nature of the waveforms. Fairly random, no square wave or saw tooth waves, etc. By contrast, the Audio Dharma FAQ says it uses a square wave sweep. I'm not sure the square wave offers much advantage. I see MHz range harmonics from the FryBaby3 already, and the amplitudes of this content is again so low as to likely be irrelevant.

Second, I was curious to see what kind of output it had. The manual says 1 Vrms. I'm seeing what looks to be closer to 1.4 Vrms in LINE mode. The spec also says the output current limit is 10 mA. These strike me as being very low for a "cable cooker". Contrast them with the Audio Dharma specs of 120 mA and 12 Vrms. Comparatively, then, the FryBaby3 is somewhat of a toy. Or at least, I expect no acceleration of "burn in" using the FryBaby3 vs just using my DAC. In fact, many DACs will have an output that is hotter than the FryBaby3's. Of course, the brickwall filters in most DACs will kill most content much above 20-30 kHz. Maybe that's an advantage for the FryBaby3.

At 50ms/div and 1V/div below, we can see the FryBaby's amplitude sweep pattern. Average voltage, visually, looks well below +/- 1V. Maybe around +/- 0.7V.

Now I'll plug in a new phono cable for a few days, and see if I can detect any audible difference. I'm pretty skeptical that I will.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
I'd been wondering about the Hagerman, and found a used FryBaby3 on the cheap, so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm more curious about what the circuit actually does, than how it affects the sound of cables. But as long as I have it, I may as well try to assess both.

First, I was curious what kind of bandwidth the device had. Roughly, I'm seeing full amplitude signaling between 0 Hz and 200 kHz, with a bunch of high frequency content in the noise. Also note the nature of the waveforms. Fairly random, no square wave or saw tooth waves, etc. By contrast, the Audio Dharma FAQ says it uses a square wave sweep. I'm not sure the square wave offers much advantage. I see MHz range harmonics from the FryBaby3 already, and the amplitudes of this content is again so low as to likely be irrelevant.

Second, I was curious to see what kind of output it had. The manual says 1 Vrms. I'm seeing what looks to be closer to 1.4 Vrms in LINE mode. The spec also says the output current limit is 10 mA. These strike me as being very low for a "cable cooker". Contrast them with the Audio Dharma specs of 120 mA and 12 Vrms. Comparatively, then, the FryBaby3 is somewhat of a toy. Or at least, I expect no acceleration of "burn in" using the FryBaby3 vs just using my DAC. In fact, many DACs will have an output that is hotter than the FryBaby3's. Of course, the brickwall filters in most DACs will kill most content much above 20-30 kHz. Maybe that's an advantage for the FryBaby3.

At 50ms/div and 1V/div below, we can see the FryBaby's amplitude sweep pattern. Average voltage, visually, looks well below +/- 1V. Maybe around +/- 0.7V.

Now I'll plug in a new phono cable for a few days, and see if I can detect any audible difference. I'm pretty skeptical that I will.
Great report. Looking forward to your impressions.

hattrick15

Feb 19, 2022

Just came across your post. Very interesting analysis. Were you able to detect any audible difference as a result of using it?

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No audible difference with any phono cables as a result of using Frybaby3. Ghost hunters might hear something. But I don't.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Cable burn in matters but I'm guessing it's more to do with tiny interconnected strains inside a given wire. My rule don't move them or step on them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing