Burmester 911 mk3

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hello, Frantz. I had actually asked the question because Focal actually utilizes all 3 different type of tweeters within their product lineup. The TNC and TNV are tweeters that were designed from technology they had learned from their Beryllium tweeter. Wasn't sure which one they used in this particular loudspeaker is all. I do appreciate you letting me know about Wilson having used [perhaps currently] Focal drivers in their lineup. Focal has graced my rig in the past and I have rather high impressions of both Wilson and Focal.

Tom

Tom

I should have been more precise. The Stella Utopia uses Beryllium tweeter.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ah, thank you sir. ;)

Tom

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Hello ozy and congrat's on your latest acquisitions. Glad to hear you are enjoying them already! I see that you have the Focal Stella Utopia EM's. Do these speakers utilize the TNV, TNC or the Beryllium tweeter?

Tom

Thank you Tom! the utopia line, and stella included, utilizes the beryllium tweeters.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
"@Ozy

Did you order the 077 with the DAC module? If yes how does it compare to the DCS stack?
"
yes, the 077 comes with a dac module and an RPS. have not had a chance to compare the 2 dacs yet.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I have changed my set up and am running the 911s as bridged monos. I must say that I like it much more now as monos. The amps seem to suddenly have so much more control over the speakers. The micro dynamics are far superior. I guess the reason is probably due to the fact that passive biamping does not yield real benefits. The fact is, I am not going back to vertical biamping. Just thought I should share my views......

Cheers
Sujay

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
That was my experience as well....

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
A single 911 is my reference in room two, while the XA200.5s are the reference in room 1. The Pass amps are a bit more tubey sounding, a little more inner detail and the 911 monos have slightly more slam and a little bit more super low bass power.

Both are pretty amazing actually, I could live happily ever after with either. What I did notice going from one 911 to a pair of them configured as mono, was that the extra headroom made for a much bigger sound than I expected.

XS monos (the 300w ones) are on the way to replace the XA200.5s, so curious to see what change that will make.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Can't wait, it was a nice jump going from the XA160s to the 200s. Should be fun.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
A single 911 is my reference in room two, while the XA200.5s are the reference in room 1. The Pass amps are a bit more tubey sounding, a little more inner detail and the 911 monos have slightly more slam and a little bit more super low bass power.

Both are pretty amazing actually, I could live happily ever after with either. What I did notice going from one 911 to a pair of them configured as mono, was that the extra headroom made for a much bigger sound than I expected.

XS monos (the 300w ones) are on the way to replace the XA200.5s, so curious to see what change that will make.

Hi,

That does sum it up for me. I do agree that the relative ease of drive the monos bring to the party completely surprised me as well.......power does matter and that reminds of what you said about the Macintosh 1.2 kw. The sheer presence and transient response is addictive!

I would guess the xs maybe something else altogether considering Nelson pass's reputation.

Thanks and cheers

Sujay

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Hi gents,

I have a few questions for you.
After many listening sessions I decide to buy full Burmester system 069 + 077 + 2x 911mk3 + 948 conditioner.. This is the best thing I've ever heard, even including dCS Vivaldi, MSB, D'Agostino Momentum, Soulution etc.
Now I wonder about the speakers for this marvelous system.

1. Do you have any experience with match Burmester Audio with Magico? For example Q7. Could this be a good combination? Or Wilsons maybe?
2. What cables do you use with Burmester? I've heard many opinions that Burmester is insensitive for IC cables, but needs best possible AC and speekers cables. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for reply.
And sorry for my English, I hope you understand me well :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi gents,

I have a few questions for you.
After many listening sessions I decide to buy full Burmester system 069 + 077 + 2x 911mk3 + 948 conditioner.. This is the best thing I've ever heard, even including dCS Vivaldi, MSB, D'Agostino Momentum, Soulution etc.
Now I wonder about the speakers for this marvelous system.

1. Do you have any experience with match Burmester Audio with Magico? For example Q7. Could this be a good combination? Or Wilsons maybe?
2. What cables do you use with Burmester? I've heard many opinions that Burmester is insensitive for IC cables, but needs best possible AC and speekers cables. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for reply.
And sorry for my English, I hope you understand me well :)

Congrats...that is quite a serious set of electronics. Take your time with finding the best speakers for you. To start, what speakers did you hear this equipment with that made you decide to get it?

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
I tried with Burmester B100, Focal Stella and Wilson Alexia.
B100 is weak in my opinion. Only with Focal and Wilsons Burmesmester shows his top class sound.
But on the other system I listened Q7 and these are the best speakers I've ever heard in my life. So I want to combine the best electronicss with the best speakers - Burmester + Magico.
Do you have any experience with this match?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I tried with Burmester B100, Focal Stella and Wilson Alexia.
B100 is weak in my opinion. Only with Focal and Wilsons Burmesmester shows his top class sound.
But on the other system I listened Q7 and these are the best speakers I've ever heard in my life. So I want to combine the best electronicss with the best speakers - Burmester + Magico.
Do you have any experience with this match?

Sorry...I do not. I have heard the XLF, Focal Grande Utopia but not Q7 (though I have heard the Q1, 3, 5). The first two offer tremendous scale and an effortlessness that is beautiful in its own right. Since this all comes down to taste, which did you prefer of the Focals and the Wilsons? And why? That may help others who have heard the Q7 provide you with some insight. IN the end, you are best served to hear them for yourself, but I can see why you are asking here on WBF.

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Sorry...I do not. I have heard the XLF, Focal Grande Utopia but not Q7 (though I have heard the Q1, 3, 5). The first two offer tremendous scale and an effortlessness that is beautiful in its own right. Since this all comes down to taste, which did you prefer of the Focals and the Wilsons? And why? That may help others who have heard the Q7 provide you with some insight. IN the end, you are best served to hear them for yourself, but I can see why you are asking here on WBF.
I ask because I have no way to listen to the Magico with Burmester in one system. I was hoping that someone listened to that and write something about this match.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I ask because I have no way to listen to the Magico with Burmester in one system. I was hoping that someone listened to that and write something about this match.

Got it...hopefully someone here has.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
First Panjan,congratulations on assembling a wonderful array of Burmester gear.
secondly, i agree with you- the Focal stellas have great synergy with the burmester gear- they just click well together. havenot heard the Q7 other then in 2 shows, with non -burmester gear. that sound was good , but not great or special, imho. unless someone has the exact gear and can voice an educated opinion, you'll simply have to proceed based on your own hunch. congrats again!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing