VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Just read the review

Kiss the M28 goodbye.......

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Read the review, too.
Disagree with your prognosis. Fremer's review did not condemn the M28.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sam, Fremer's review was very couched and IMO not terribly positive. The amps he referenced as being superior on his system are admittedly several times the price. However, I was left with an impression that the Bricasti was like many of the "sterile" sounding amps that were praised to the heavens in the past....can we say Halcro and their ilk here.
I also remember reading Fremer's review of the latest Mark Levinson...and of his slamming that one. It would seem that the former darling, Mark Levinson gear, has almost dropped out of sight. Too bad, as I did like the cosmetics, LOL....the sound, well that was NEVER my cup of tea.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Davey,

I thought Fremer articulated his criticisms fairly plainly; albeit, reading between the lines is de rigueur with reviews.
Funny, the few times I've heard Soulution gear at shows reminds me of solid state -- iirc, Fremer characterizes the M28 as tube-like...which is fine with me. :D

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
As a result of the rather negative perspective on the M28 amps in Fremer's review, Brian Zolner responded pointing out that Stereophile's own measurements showed that the M28s were actually cleaner, lower in distortion, and faster than MF's "reference" amps. He explained that sometimes we get used to distortions in our systems, and that when they are removed it can take a while to adjust our perspective to realize that what we are now hearing is actually an improvement. John Atkinson has already posted elsewhere that he now has the amps in his possession and intends to do a follow-up to the review himself in an upcoming issue. Stay tuned... I have heard the amps myself being driven directly in balanced mode from the Bricasti M1 DAC at several shows, and have found the resulting sound to be superb. At the recent AXPONA the same combination was declared as one of the best sounding rooms of the show by several reviewers' online reports.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
It would be interesting to read the manufacturer's response, once available online.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
As a result of the rather negative perspective on the M28 amps in Fremer's review, Brian Zolner responded pointing out that Stereophile's own measurements showed that the M28s were actually cleaner, lower in distortion, and faster than MF's "reference" amps. He explained that sometimes we get used to distortions in our systems, and that when they are removed it can take a while to adjust our perspective to realize that what we are now hearing is actually an improvement. John Atkinson has already posted elsewhere that he now has the amps in his possession and intends to do a follow-up to the review himself in an upcoming issue. Stay tuned... I have heard the amps myself being driven directly in balanced mode from the Bricasti M1 DAC at several shows, and have found the resulting sound to be superb. At the recent AXPONA the same combination was declared as one of the best sounding rooms of the show by several reviewers' online reports.

i did read the review and the manufacturers feedback comments.

I think that Mr. Zolner should actually hear Fremer's reference before he accuses Fremer of not hearing distortions. Fremer has certainly had many of the top level amplifiers thru his room to have determined what distortions might or might not exist with his reference. i assume that Mr. Zolner was initially very excited to have Fremer review his amplifier based on Fremer's street cred and experience with other top amps. that cuts both ways and clearly was a risk.

I do respect that he would feel a bit defensive after reading that review.

full disclosure; I own the same reference amps that Fremer does. and when Zolner does get around to listening to Fremer's reference amps i'll look forward to his take on that.

i'll also say that at 5x the price that Fremer's reference should sound better. it's too bad Fremer did not have a few more similarly priced amps around to directly compare.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well, after having heard the big Soulution amps a number of times now and disliking every demo and hearing the big darTZeel and not being terribly impressed given the cash outlay, I would say that if the Bricasti doesn't sound like them it is possibly very good for the Bricasti.

It is pretty clear the MF likes a somewhat "lean & clean" sound, his speaker and previous amp choices lean this direction. His grudging admiration of the Lamm ML3 was just that...grudging.

However, I don't see anything in the Bricasti measurements to even hint at "tubelike" sound.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Atkinson has always liked Levinson gear so it will be interesting to read his take. I predict he will like them LOL...

When Stereophile posts a review they should also post any manufacturer comments as well. Not doing so is a disservice to the manufacturer as well as the reader.

I am always dubious of manufacturers that build pro as well as consumer versions of their products. More often than not they design for the pro requirements and not for the audiophile, Boulder being the one exception that comes to mind.

The design of the M28 is very nice.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Atkinson has always liked Levinson gear so it will be interesting to read his take. I predict he will like them LOL...

on that note, Fremer's last Levinson amp review was a train wreck for Levinson. you would guess that the dots might have been connected and this episode avoided in some way. this review was not remotely as bad, but the effect should have been still felt.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Well, after having heard the big Soulution amps a number of times now and disliking every demo and hearing the big darTZeel and not being terribly impressed given the cash outlay, I would say that if the Bricasti doesn't sound like them it is possibly very good for the Bricasti.

It is pretty clear the MF likes a somewhat "lean & clean" sound, his speaker and previous amp choices lean this direction. His grudging admiration of the Lamm ML3 was just that...grudging.

However, I don't see anything in the Bricasti measurements to even hint at "tubelike" sound.

Hey Morricab,

Nice to see you, here. :cool:

Fremer did remark of 'tube-like' character when describing some of the M28's sonic presentation.
Fascinatingly, personally, were his representations relating to the M28's reproduction of massed strings...
when an amp can do this right -- low distortion (read not strident) -- with the recognizable timbre that one
may identify as consonant with unamplified acoustic instruments, solid state or valve, then I take notice.

Proviso: given source/system/room context

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
No doubt Dartzeel makes some of the best equipment period. Of note is that they almost always pair the pre and stereo or mono amps with the 50 ohm connection being optimized. I do wonder how the Bricasti would have faired with the Boulder 2110 as mentioned by Mikey.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

Spot on. At some point hopefully in the not too distant future I will have a pair to demo here and to loan out and invite you and others to take advantage of the opportunity and to compare the M28s against others.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
These amps also can't drive a 2 ohm load...not good

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI

I agree with you that Fremer likes a leaner sound, but he also reviewed the D'Agostinno amps and said they had a little more forgiving top end compared to the Dart., but said this and the Dartz. are the two best amps he has heard. If the Bricasti is warmer yet I would not ever consider them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing