Bombshell

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Indeed. I don't get the rationale behind resistance to the movement.

Sure, sometimes it's going overboard, but show me one single movement without excesses. There is none. On balance, the #MeToo movement has been highly beneficial for society, and I hope it continues to be.

Is there much resistance to the movement, and what are some of the examples of excesses in the movement? I don't hear much about the MeToo movement anymore.

Weinstein and Lauer are pigs. Ailes is dead. Behaviors like theirs should not be tolerated in the workplace but only between consenting adults. Society, and relationships between the sexes are certainly evolving. It's the nature of things, norms shift. These kinds of movies attempt to illuminate certain cultural sentiments. And the ratings and box office numbers indicate whether or not the public cares.

The politically correct edicts change so fast, I have trouble keeping up. Lest I offend someone in my particularly sensitive surroundings, I have simply learned to smile and not say very much. I quietly go about my own business and try to get things done. It's just easier that way. This seems to be the response from other people I know too. At the same time, others seem to shout.

The bombshells acting in this movie can't complain about much in life, except for possibly the small number of people wanting to see their movie. I feel for them, I really do. Wait, can I even say that? Love the title of the film and its double meaning in this context of a breaking news story about beautiful women. I thought we were not able to describe woman that way anymore, but those woke folks seem to be able to use language different from what the regular folks can say. I am optimistic that the pendulum has started to swing back in the other direction.

Gretchen Carlson, and others like her, have done society a service, but the response to the movie seems to be falling flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Money and power and control can work in mysterious ways...@ all echelons of the ladder.
The three actresses in Bombshell are very pretty, and most likely the main attraction here to have the three together in the same film.

I agree with Al and Peter about the #Metoo movement...it's important.
The FOX réseau TV news network; I wouldn't recommand my daughters and granddaughters, friends, people I love and respect to work there, ever.
There are way more dignified and respectable places and jobs and with much better entourage and bosses somewhere else to work with and for. Maintening a balanced calibrated moral value is power to the mind, real valuable power. That's me, and guys like Aisle, Weinstein, Epstein, etc., are a disgrace and a negative to our advanced societies. They should have been discontinued right from the beginning, not after all the damage done.

But yes, the movement is a positive, in so many ways.
Documentaries, Series and Films they can also help.
I didn't see Bombshell, yet.
I also didn't see The Loudest Voice, yet.

But I sure read about the subject and the people behind and @ the forefront, the history behind FOX, the beginning, the goal, Rupert Murdoch (1985), etc.
https://nocable.org/timeline/fox-history

So I have an opinion too; we all do. Because films and people matter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bob, I like Fox News. It is a main stream voice against all the rest. I watch CNN also just to see the other point of view. I’m amazed at how differently they cover the same news events. FOX ratings are huge relative to the others, and if my daughters wanted to work there I would say absolutely encourage it because the experience will be fantastic and you will be surrounded by a powerhouse media company that is extremely influential. Lots of smart people work there obviously.

I think women should be treated with respect in the workplace but I don’t agree with the metoo movement. That’s all I’m going to say about it.

This thread is about the movie and I agree the actresses or actors or whatever you wanna call a female actor these days are quite attractive. I’ve only seen the trailer And will probably watch the movie on TV next month.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Peter, without going too deep into the news media business in North America, what happened @ FOX happened everywhere else.
It just happened that Aisle worked for FOX, and the movie Bombshell is about three very good looking ladies who worked there and some of the behind the scenes. But I think it needs more than a film to know the full picture.

Any member here @ WBF would run any news outlet with full dignity, unbiased view, super objectivity, total respect for gender, race, colors, humans. I take my news very seriously and all the people who work in that profession.

Nearer the end of last decade the world has been fractured, ... the three desperadoes...Aisle, Weinstein and Epstein.
We all learn from this, and working to a better newer decade.

We are a weak animal species...homo sapiens. We are not as wise as we might think ... or believe.

Me too I eventually will see it for the three actress performance and makeup. :)

* I respect your encouragement to your daughter; with strength she can surmount any obstacle that might present to her, no matter how high the wave.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We finally saw this movie on a blu-ray rental.

John Lithgow did an amazing job portraying the sexist pig Roger Ailes. Unfortunately it is not news that many powerful men abuse that power.

Charlize Theron did was very good portraying Megyn Kelly.

I don't think much has changed at Fox News since he was fired and died. Their on air female staff is still mostly blond and leggy. Their audience skews older and male so they target that demographic no doubt - in many ways.

Have to admit I am not a Fox News fan so I don't watch very often. Take my comments with a grain of salt.

Since the story is so recent and well known there weren't too many surprises so I started to tune out after the first hour or so. So, I'll rate the movie a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We finally saw this movie on a blu-ray rental.

John Lithgow did an amazing job portraying the sexist pig Roger Ailes. Unfortunately it is not news that many powerful men abuse that power.

Charlize Theron did was very good portraying Megyn Kelly.

I don't think much has changed at Fox News since he was fired and died. Their on air female staff is still mostly blond and leggy. Their audience skews older and male so they target that demographic no doubt - in many ways.

Have to admit I am not a Fox News fan so I don't watch very often. Take my comments with a grain of salt.

Since the story is so recent and well known there weren't too many surprises so I started to tune out after the first hour or so. So, I'll rate the movie a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10.

I thought it was only so so

I have said here many times that the best story and portrayal of Roger Ailes is The Loudest Voice with Russell Crowe playing Roger Ailes

Much better overview of the story and Crowe was amazing

Reactions: WLVCA

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I thought it was only so so

I have said here many times that the best story and portrayal of Roger Ailes is The Loudest Voice with Russell Crowe playing Roger Ailes

Much better overview of the story and Crowe was amazing

I'll have to check out The Loudest Voice. Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll have to check out The Loudest Voice. Thanks for the recommendation.

I saw Bombshell after watching The Loudest Voice. The former was very shallow in content as compared to The Loudest Voice which is a 7 part miniseries on Showtime. It was one of the Best shows I saw last year on television

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Assuming the reporters and anchors are now treated with respect and they can do their jobs, the fact that they happen to be attractive should not matter. FOX News is hardly alone with that approach. They all seem to be happy working there and doing so of their own free will. The market seems to work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing