Bombshell

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Had the opportunity to see Bombshell this afternoon. A very good movie and what a performance by Charlize Theron as Megan Kelly. I am guessing she will be getting a Oscar nomination for this one. The film is full of actors you are familiar with in both major and minor roles.
Charlize Theron
Nicole Kidman
Margot Robbie
John Lithgow
Malcolm McDowell
Allison Janney
Kate McKinnon
Connie Britton
Mark Duplass
Robin Weigert
Richard Kind

Reactions: NorthStar

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Watch the Loudest Voice with Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes. Much better story

While I've not seen Bombshell yet, I have watched The Loudest Voice and it was great in a terrifying sort of way.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw Bombshell yesterday

It was a "bomb"

a solid 6 and no better

A solid cast of actors as already pointed out with John Lithgow playing the despicable Roger Ailes

The only thing good i cans ay about this movie was how accurate Charlize Theron nailed the persona of Megyn Kelly and the make up of John Lithgow . Short of this I say watch The Loudest Voice

Charlize Theron was nominated for Golden Globes but IMO there were simply better female performances this year

The story is told from the perspective of the women at Fox but honestly in 103 minutes the story line was flimsy at best

I've said before that if you want to know this story you MUST watch The Loudest Voice on Showtime with Russell Crowe playing Ailes. This show was magnificent

Bombshell rated 68% on MRQE.

To me it is a rainy day rental

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
I have watched most of the Loudest Voice and the two movies/series are taking on different aspects of a story. The Loudest Voice is more the story of Alies and his running of Fox News. Yes they show what a pig of a man he was around women but that was only part of the story they were getting out in the series. Bombshell on the other hand was mainly from the point of view of the women and how Ailes actions impacted their careers and lives.

You are correct that Bombshell wasn't a great movie but I think it is a important one that adds fills in the story from a slightly different viewpoint

I am not sure if you have watched "The Morning Show" on Apple+ TV. It is another good series that gets better with each episode and addresses many of the same issues.

Steve Williams

Yes. I agree. It is from the womens perspective but the story was far too quick and abbreviated. It left me wanting whereas the Loudest Voice tells the entire story
Steve
I have watched most of the Loudest Voice and the two movies/series are taking on different aspects of a story. The Loudest Voice is more the story of Alies and his running of Fox News. Yes they show what a pig of a man he was around women but that was only part of the story they were getting out in the series. Bombshell on the other hand was mainly from the point of view of the women and how Ailes actions impacted their careers and lives.

You are correct that Bombshell wasn't a great movie but I think it is a important one that adds fills in the story from a slightly different viewpoint

I am not sure if you have watched "The Morning Show" on Apple+ TV. It is another good series that gets better with each episode and addresses many of the same issues.

Steve Williams

Steve, is there any real interest in this beyond concocted #MeToo hands up in the air? Does this story stand apart from the fury of current day sexual politics?

I see that Bloomberg if he wins the Dem nomination and presidency will not run his office from the usual place, but amongst his staff in the open workplace. Is this amongst other reasons so he can't "hide" bad behaviour?

Another instance of PC politics on steroids.
Yes, it was indeed

So many series now are based around the Me Too movement including The Morning Show on Apple TV+

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The full story where it all began helps understand this entire exploitation affair from all fronts.
The money trap also doesn't help as it lessers our fundamental values...men and women both.

? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch

Bombshell I'll wait for the video medium with Charlize.
Films like Bombshell and TV series like The Loudest Voice awaken us with awareness, good.
Some people more than others ...

* Marc, say your very pretty daughter wants to be a reporter for a major news network, like FOX news for example. What advice would you give her?

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Just can't see the appeal of this kind of movie to begin with. Next up, a movie on Matt Lauer?
They did it already. It’s called The Morning Show on Apple TV+ Clearly imo Steve Carell was Matt Lauer

Steve Williams

The story has already been told by the other main stream media outlets. Heads rolled. Don’t know if ratings were affected but they seem higher than the competition. Whatever happened to Megan Kelly?

I must say the title of the movie is brilliant.

I have to admit that I never liked Megyn Kelly when she was at Fox and I truly couldn't stand her when she was at NBC and it was apparent that none of the Today hosts cozied up to her. Her show on NBC was an absolute disaster. She won't ever be returning to Fox news on a permanent basis

She's a hot potato where controversy follows. I'm betting we won't be seeing her hosting any TV shows in the near future.

Reactions: PeterA and jeff1225

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
the idea of me too is to share stories of sexual harassment and or sexual assault so that people understand how common place it is. Anyone with a mother, sister, female cousin or wife should be sympathetic to the movement.

Indeed. I don't get the rationale behind resistance to the movement.

Sure, sometimes it's going overboard, but show me one single movement without excesses. There is none. On balance, the #MeToo movement has been highly beneficial for society, and I hope it continues to be.

Reactions: VLS and jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have to admit that I never liked Megyn Kelly when she was at Fox and I truly couldn't stand her when she was at NBC and it was apparent that none of the Today hosts cozied up to her. Her show on NBC was an absolute disaster. She won't ever be returning to Fox news on a permanent basis

She's a hot potato where controversy follows. I'm betting we won't be seeing her hosting any TV shows in the near future.
Kelly fumbled on her very first NBC interview with the cast of Will and Grace by making some strange cringe worthy comments about gays. It was down hill from there.

Steve Williams

Kelly fumbled on her very first NBC interview with the cast of Will and Grace by making some strange cringe worthy comments about gays. It was down hill from there.
She has an over inflated ego

Steve Williams

The story line in Bombshell started with Gretchen Carlson played by Nicole Kidman but the story itself followed Megyn Kelly and Margot Robbie in their roles

The more I think about Bombshell, the more I dislike it

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
the idea of me too is to share stories of sexual harassment and or sexual assault so that people understand how common place it is. Anyone with a mother, sister, female cousin or wife should be sympathetic to the movement.

I think the Apple series "The Morning Show" does a very good job of getting people to understand all of the implications of sexual harassment. intra-office dating/affairs, management's turned heads, etc. They allow the main perpetrator to plead his case or at least show it from is perspective. The last episode from Season 1 was very powerful. Excellent acting from Steve Carrell and Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston holds her own along with a nice supporting cast.

I remember a "aha" moment from early in my career while still working at GM. I was a executive reporting to one of or actually the first female Plant Manager. During a staff meeting a harassment issue brought by a female engineer was under discussion. The Plant Manager kind of shook up many perspectives when she asked when are you going to get it that these women aren't coming to work "looking" for a husband. There doing a job.

Reactions: jeff1225

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The story line in Bombshell started with Gretchen Carlson played by Nicole Kidman but the story itself followed Megyn Kelly and Margot Robbie in their roles

The more I think about Bombshell, the more I dislike it

I thought it was a "B" movie at best. What bothers me about it was it's veracity. Are we really to believe that Ailes, who brags to the Margo Robbie character that he can pick any girl out of the lineup and make her a star for "something in return", did that for Megyn Kelly for "nothing in return" according to the Megyn character in the movie? Really? That's just very hard to believe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing