Blind Test Challenge Offered by Engineer on Audiogon

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think one of the problems is, is that there are a number of chalatons in high end audio (as with any business), so those outside of high end will tend to focus on those, and paint the entire industry with the same broad brush.

I post regularly on the talkclassical.com music forums, and there is also a "protector of the audio uneducated" over there. He works at a recording studio in LA. He constantly claims, that $5000.00 is the most anyone ever has to spend on speakers, and that anything above that is a waste of money. He also claims, that room treatment will always make up for inadequacies in speakers. He's argued that a mediocre speaker will always sound better in a correctly treated room, than a very high end speaker in a normal living space. And that $5000.00 worth of multi channel speakers will always sound better than substantially more money invested in 2 channel.

Among his other claims are: all CD players/transports are comparable, a consumer level multi channel AV receiver will sound as good as any high end amp, there is no reason for any resolution above 44.1/16 bit.

What is his name; he sounds like a solid down-to-earth type of guy.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Never accept a blind test challenge. It will prove nothing and you will regret it.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I guess that depends on the deal you are searching for.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Never accept a blind test challenge. It will prove nothing and you will regret it.

Normally I would agree with you. But on this particular one, I like the risk/reward.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
*shakes head*

Tom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Another plea for you not to do it, Ron. I think it'll end in tears LOL.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Normally I would agree with you. But on this particular one, I like the risk/reward.
It is essentially a "Heads I win. Tails you lose." game. At least in Las Vegas they pay high rewards for high risk games.
w
P.S. Let us assume you take ten trials. Your score is 5\10 correct. There exist two pssible explanations, 1. your score is consistent with chanc. 2. you actually were able to identify or match A\B to X, But your score is statistically insignificant, Or if you score higher than 8\10,you are a" lucky coin."

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think one of the problems is, is that there are a number of chalatons in high end audio (as with any business), so those outside of high end will tend to focus on those, and paint the entire industry with the same broad brush.

I post regularly on the talkclassical.com music forums, and there is also a "protector of the audio uneducated" over there. He works at a recording studio in LA. He constantly claims, that $5000.00 is the most anyone ever has to spend on speakers, and that anything above that is a waste of money. He also claims, that room treatment will always make up for inadequacies in speakers. He's argued that a mediocre speaker will always sound better in a correctly treated room, than a very high end speaker in a normal living space. And that $5000.00 worth of multi channel speakers will always sound better than substantially more money invested in 2 channel.

Among his other claims are: all CD players/transports are comparable, a consumer level multi channel AV receiver will sound as good as any high end amp, there is no reason for any resolution above 44.1/16 bit.

Winer has a clone in LA? Where's that emoticon when you need it?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ron,
Understand completely the desire to do this as the kind of blind absolutism and hubris caught up in these kinds of claims is niggling to say the least but I also remember a good mate recalling his favourite Macedonian proverb that his grandmother would tell him at times like these... touch it and it will smell! Oh so very wise, wise words.

But if you do go ahead please whoop his dbt, and may the force be with you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

All true.

I post regularly on the talkclassical.com music forums, and there is also a "protector of the audio uneducated" over there. He works at a recording studio in LA. He constantly claims, that $5000.00 is the most anyone ever has to spend on speakers, and that anything above that is a waste of money. He also claims, that room treatment will always make up for inadequacies in speakers.

Nonsense to both claims.

He's argued that a mediocre speaker will always sound better in a correctly treated room, than a very high end speaker in a normal living space.

It depends on what the acoustics of the "normal living space" are. However, I agree with the guy that the importance of acoustics is vastly underrated.

Among his other claims are: [...] there is no reason for any resolution above 44.1/16 bit.

The importance of "high-res" digital is overrated. The 44.1/16 bit CD format is in fact high-resolution (or "high-res"), and is vastly underrated. It is tremendous when decoded right. So he has a point -- up to a point.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He's a "protector of the audio uneducated"; in that sense, his above three points do make sense.

The first and second ones we can certainly argue with...anything above $5,000/pair of loudspeakers.
The third, as long the loudspeakers are good enough...frequency curve off axis and phase.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Digtial proponents have always argued that each incarnation is perfect. That begs the question of; why they work so hard to improve I?.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Digtial proponents have always argued that each incarnation is perfect. That begs the question of; why they work so hard to improve I?.

Because contrary to the belief of some the audio hobby is not exempt from continuos improvement. Cameras, cars, computers, phones ........ all continue to improve yet we "audiophiles" are supposed to yearn for the good old days

cooljazz

Mar 21, 2012
TN
Because contrary to the belief of some the audio hobby is not exempt from continuos improvement. Cameras, cars, computers, phones ........ all continue to improve yet we "audiophiles" are supposed to yearn for the good old days

Which is why I like to say "Perfect and getting better everyday!!"

No one seems to know though how perfect can be topped. :cool:

CJ

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Sound rewards, audiophilia, mission accomplished, addictive hobby, satisfaction guaranteed, ...all that jazz.

The closest possible high fidelity sound reproduction to the live event.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I second the call for Ron not to do it.
One of the things having a store has taught me is that people will hear what they want to hear.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Let me clear my throat" Ahem. In a thread whose very premise is that audiophiles engage in hyperbole overkill, we are also accused of being static. it is a sign of the times.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Alex, that is the nice part of my reply to the Audiogon poster: I offered only that I would be able to identify reliably my system from his $3,000 - $5,000 system — in my listening room.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I second the call for Ron not to do it.
One of the things having a store has taught me is that people will hear what they want to hear.

Not just in audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing