Best XLR connectors money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
If I wanted to upgrade my interconnects with the best (and the most expensive!) XLR connectors this planet has to offer, where would I turn to? Anyone?
P.S. For clarity: I don't care if they cost 1 million per pair... I'm looking for the best money can buy!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Go to whichever producer you like and custom order ones to be made from pure gold and platinum and the part you hold in your hand and look at to be covered with as many diamonds as possible to fit in the given space...this might lead you to the desired 7 figure xlr connector and they will for sure do them for you;)

Reactions: Nascimento

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It would be WBT silver, but they don't make XLRs... I would guess if you paid them a couple mil they'd design some XLRs for you though. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Do you want the connector or a cable?

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
Maybe talk to Eidolic and see what a (few) million bucks could do?

https://www.facebook.com/Eidolic-578621495591705/
http://www.eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-About-us.html

4-pin XLR connectors were already done, most likely designing 3-pin ones should be a piece of cake?

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...-silver-teflon-titanium-barrel-plug-connector

At room temperature silver has an electrical conductivity of 106% IACS which is higher than that of any other metal.

Not that many manufacturers were making XLR connectors with pure silver pins to begin with, though it's only meaningful when you're actually paying them to make male XLR cable connectors + female XLR panel-mount connectors + female XLR cable connectors + male XLR panel-mount connectors.

Since you're already spending that kinda money, no connectors on Earth could beat hardwiring the cables directly because of the resistance etc.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Specification wise XLR are not top of the food chain and don’t see how expensive metals is not always better too. Unless it’s the bowl of ostrich eggs concept. just saying.

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
Another alternative is getting in touch with Furutech and ask them about the NCF version of their XLR connectors

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
MANY THINK THAT BOCCHINO CONNECTORS ARE THE BEST. I HAVE THEM THROUGHOUT MY SYSTEM CONNECTED TO MASTERGUILT ULTRA CABLE.

SINCE CARMINE MAKES THEM TO ORDER THEY CAN TAKE A WHILE, BUT I HAVE FOUR NEW BOCCHINO XLRS THAT I AM WILLING TO PART WITH

Reactions: gleeds and Leif S

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
If you want the very best cables in the world and you have a budget to match my advice would be to contact Unique Audio about the bespoke cables available from LFD Audio here in the Uk. The commercial sense may be questionable but not their performance.
You can get an insight from my OP A Visit to Miks (CY108) Home

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Personally I would look to upgrade your "mercilessly modded" Monitor Audio speakers before I started fretting over better connectors....
That said, my Jorma Prime xlr's sound pretty darn good & use Neutrik connectors. I recall Geoff Merrigan from Tellurium Q commenting that the solder mix and method of soldering the connectors is more important than the connectors themselves (assuming you're using reasonably good connectors). So I wouldn't get too hung up on the blingiest hardware dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armsan

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The wire used is far more important and while the connector used may matter I doubt anyone can hear it.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The wire used is far more important and while the connector used may matter I doubt anyone can hear it.
Well yes, the wire, insulation and geometry in concert. Interestingly, Jorma Kosky found that the thinner the guage of the copper wire and ceramic glass fibers he used in his cables, the better the sound. That is why their statement cables have a suprisingly narrow gauge.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can speculate it has less capacitance and induction too leading to a more neutral sound. better more expensive cables are well worth the price. To use a cheap connector would leave something on the table. I think the better cables is due to vast time and effort on creating them.

Reactions: Bodhi

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Well, I have a pair of $20k Echole xlr cables just arrived to have their Oyaide plugs replaced with Bocchino xlr...
My interconnects are already terminated with Bocchino XLR. I'm looking to better those. Any ideas? You must've done thorough market research before settling with Bocchino?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
MANY THINK THAT BOCCHINO CONNECTORS ARE THE BEST. I HAVE THEM THROUGHOUT MY SYSTEM CONNECTED TO MASTERGUILT ULTRA CABLE.

SINCE CARMINE MAKES THEM TO ORDER THEY CAN TAKE A WHILE, BUT I HAVE FOUR NEW BOCCHINO XLRS THAT I AM WILLING TO PART WITH
If Bocchino are considered to be the best (by many), why are you "willing to part with yours"?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My interconnects are already terminated with Bocchino XLR. I'm looking to better those. Any ideas? You must've done thorough market research before settling with Bocchino?

Aside from hardwiring, you might prefer a different plating on these plugs? Depending on what you are trying to achieve, platinum or rhodium for more transparency and linearity or gold for more warmth and body. Also look at upgrading the equipment jacks to minimise losses as well as better match the plugs.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Well, I have a pair of $20k Echole xlr cables just arrived to have their Oyaide plugs replaced with Bocchino xlr...
A pair of interconnects for $20K is nice. Can you please describe how the sound in your system changed when you replaced Oyaide plugs with Bocchino XLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing