Best sound in Munich

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Well I can agree on the Living Voice being one of the best at the show but not the Chinese horns, which IMO were an incoherent mess despite the nice drivers.

I must say I did not "get" the ESD sound either. I was very curious given what I read about them and who is behind the design. The room was close to ours so I kept coming back but it just didn't click with me. I'd like to hear that system with some good known source, esp. good analog.

Cheers,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Who was behind the design, Jarek?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Dr. Bruce Edgar and Mr. Sam Saye are behind it as far as I know.

Reactions: bonzo75

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
No doubt, Kharma is the best on Munich.
]

I politely differ. It had an amazing room within a room but the only sound I liked from Kharma in Munich was in the Synergistic room.

The Goebel and Von Schweikert rooms were spectacular.

Reactions: Elliot G.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
]

I politely differ. It had an amazing room within a room but the only sound I liked from Kharma in Munich was in the Synergistic room.

The Goebel and Von Schweikert rooms were spectacular.

Lee, did any of the big horn systems float your boat? Seems most of the reports have been by horn fans, so a different perspective from a Wilson owner would be nice.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lee, did any of the big horn systems float your boat? Seems most of the reports have been by horn fans, so a different perspective from a Wilson owner would be nice.

Or maybe they were from open minded people and horns just tended to sound better

Reactions: Lagonda

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I'm impressed if ACerat can seamlessly blend a lower mids/upper bass basshorn integrated in the Symphonia with a dedicated lower bass basshorn in the Erevus seperate unit.

You are welcome to come to Belgium, near the city of Lille (with a Eurostar stop), to listen to this system at a customer's place who is the happy owner of the bass horns since today :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Well whoever is doing the DSP is like a drunk sailor. At the very least it should sound tonally balanced with DSP.

The old Axjet needed DSP (the red version staying in the entry area of the room) , the white version was the new Axjet, no DSP needed. But very sweet spot sensitive....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The old Axjet needed DSP (the red version staying in the entry area of the room) , the white version was the new Axjet, no DSP needed. But very sweet spot sensitive....

Oh so they took it out, interesting

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I'm not a big horn speaker guy but I did hear some decent sound in the Western Electric room.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
My fellow writers at PTA really liked the Living Voice system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
:rolleyes:

what's open-minded is reading all opinions even if contrary to your own

No I am saying that the reports you got from might not be horn lovers. They may be non horn lovers who realized that horns were the best

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
1. Alsy Vox Ribbon Planar Speaker paired whit Omega Audio amps i am blown away whit this speakers never thought i will like Ribbon speakers so much open very very fast dynamic tonal very natural and perfectly musical speakers.

2.Cesarro Gamma Horn Speakers whit own preamp and power amp very very dynamic and natural and live sounding speakers.

3.TechdasAirforce Zero TT paired whit Graham elite Tone Arm is the Amadeus Mozart of TTs wowwwww.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting posts. I was tied to the AC demo room, but did get around with Morricab. Having heard lots of material in the AC system for 5 days, then drifting into the various rooms on the first and second floors, it was interesting. It struck me how many systems did some things really well, but after a couple of tracks, something started to bug me. For example, the Cessaro room, initially it had a nice opera recording playing, simply mike'd, it sounded very nice. But as things got more complex the integration of the drivers sounded off to my ears. It was very unconvincing. And the bass, when it came in was very separate, lacked speed and texture, it was not convinced.

YG room was nice, lots of details and full range. However in this room I detected compression. This impression followed in many room after that. I am not saying I couldn't live with some of these systems if I could afford them. And they did do some things really well. But most left me unmoved.

I'll post more impressions early next week, when I can gather my thoughts. Short story is, I am now a horn lover, and once heard (done right) I can't get dynamic drivers. It comes down to the release of energy I think, speed, once things get complex, things really 'test' a system, then it unravels somewhat. Horns and the timbre of SETs seems to float my boat.

The TechDAS AF Zero was amazing, I agree. I spoke to Motofumi and Hideaki on the final day. I respect companies who push the limits in their field. He is a true enthusiast.

I agree on the Alsy Vox Ribbon, I heard them last year at Hifi Deluxe, looks like the same setup. They sounded very balanced and superbly open, 3D soundstage and good separation. They used 4 panels which is big money, but the room was huge, so I can imagine 2 would fill a normal room size. I have a soft spot for Panels (love the LCD4 headphones) but in my setting would struggle to find the space required behind the speakers. What is the recommended depth for that? And by the way, speakers made in Spain!

Reactions: amadeus

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Without wishing to start a war and not sure whether this is the correct place to put such a post.

What are WBF member’s thoughts on dealers or distributors or manufacturers commenting or critically appraising the competition? Personally I don’t think that it is appropriate conduct. I know many UK forums have banned this.

Curious as to what we collectively believe should be the WBF forum decorum (sorry couldn’t resist the rhyme).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Without wishing to start a war and not sure whether this is the correct place to put such a post.

What are WBF member’s thoughts on dealers or distributors or manufacturers commenting or critically appraising the competition? Personally I don’t think that it is appropriate conduct. I know many UK forums have banned this.

Curious as to what we collectively believe should be the WBF forum decorum (sorry couldn’t resist the rhyme).

Dealers should be allowed to provide information regarding their brand but not comment on other brands

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing