Best sound in Munich

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
If we exclude the industry view, we also have to exclude reviewers, and industry experts as well. I think we can all be adult about these things. For example, I posted today great things about the Alsy Vox Ribbon. If I feel a product is good, I will say so. If it is not, I use the term IMO always.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dealers should be allowed to provide information regarding their brand but not comment on other brands

You have many trade contributors including myseIf here and if that were the case our only contribution would be limited to self promotion or answering brand related technical questions. Look at any thread and see how much content people will lose out on if that was the case.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You have many trade contributors including myseIf here and if that were the case our only contribution would be limited to self promotion or answering brand related technical questions. Look at any thread and see how much content people will lose out on if that was the case.

david

1. You are not really an SME 3012r dealer.
  2. I haven't read you say AS trounces another table - yes table A vs table B where you sell neither (e.g. SME vs Raven or Technics).
  3. And you say Lamm is the best but you are not on threads suggesting Lamm over AR, VTL, etc...just a blanket Lamm is best and SS is sh*t and announcing the disclaimer that your are a Lamm dealer. You actually often say that while recommending Lamm rather than only in your signature.
  4. You ran your own separate threads for the tables you own in the Beyond section.
  5. The rest you stuck to AS 2000 threads started by Christian and Tang

Reactions: Lagonda

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Without wishing to start a war and not sure whether this is the correct place to put such a post.

What are WBF member’s thoughts on dealers or distributors or manufacturers commenting or critically appraising the competition? Personally I don’t think that it is appropriate conduct. I know many UK forums have banned this.

Curious as to what we collectively believe should be the WBF forum decorum (sorry couldn’t resist the rhyme).
Dealers should be allowed to provide information regarding their brand but not comment on other brands

I tend to agree with Bonzo and Bill. We commonly see here on a daily basis manufacturers comparing their product to someone else's product but rarely is there dissing of the other product

I tend to agree that it is not in good taste for any manufacturer or distributor or dealer to talk critically about another manufacturers product.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I tend to agree with Bonzo and Bill. We commonly see here on a daily basis manufacturers comparing their product to someone else's product but rarely is there dissing of the other product

I tend to agree that it is not in good taste for any manufacturer or distributor or dealer to talk critically about another manufacturers product.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw I would also add here that ddk, Jack, Gary, have been good examples on how to discuss their own products and competition. Jtinn is quiet on this forum but I have come across many of his older posts on the Gon and he is also excellent on how he comments on competition and adds value to the forum. These guys don't diss competition.

If someone wants more specifics they can always PM a dealer

Steve Williams

Btw I would also add here that ddk, Jack, Gary, have been good examples on how to discuss their own products and competition. Jtinn is quiet on this forum but I have come across many of his older posts on the Gon and he is also excellent on how he comments on competition and adds value to the forum. These guys don't diss competition.

I totally agree.

Steve Williams

If including "IMO" however that still doesn't change the fact that it serves no purpose for one member of the industry who represents a product to discuss his product in comparison to that of another manufacturer in an ill spirited way. Astrostar suggested including 'IMO" but that doesn't change the fact that he represents Aries Cerat

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Without wishing to start a war and not sure whether this is the correct place to put such a post.

What are WBF member’s thoughts on dealers or distributors or manufacturers commenting or critically appraising the competition? Personally I don’t think that it is appropriate conduct. I know many UK forums have banned this.

Curious as to what we collectively believe should be the WBF forum decorum (sorry couldn’t resist the rhyme).

I agree with you, but I guess, having not been active here that long, I've accepted things as they are.

I find I just ignore those comments and move on because I can't see how one can be able to separate financial gain from bias. I do appreciate feedback when it's regarding a non-related or non-competing product, because dealers and manufacturers definitely have some of the greatest insight into this hobby.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I agree with you, but I guess, having not been active here that long, I've accepted things as they are.

I find I just ignore those comments and move on because I can't see how one can be able to separate financial gain from bias. I do appreciate feedback when it's regarding a non-related or non-competing product, because dealers and manufacturers definitely have some of the greatest insight into this hobby.

Hi,

I concur but some of this has gone too far imho ymmv. It feels as though the forum is sponsored by a few manufacturers now.

Reactions: christoph and adyc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: KeithR

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't think it is possible to keep dealers from commenting and there are enough cues for experienced readers to filter dealer content. They provide audiophiles with stuff at financial risk and should have some leeway. Dealers also are steeped in the various audio philosophies and can be informative. It's kind of hard to hobble the greatest experts who have evolved into the commercial side of things and lose their input. I don't think any of the dealers around here are stealth, they are quite open about their product inventories. There is something to be said for motivational purity, but also something to be said for competition.

It would be gentlemanly, however, for dealers to talk more about stuff they like and avoid the commentary about stuff that they think is *******. Not absolutely required, but gentlemanly.

I always liked the Audio Federation show reports with commentaries, not always sanguine about various products, and they are dealers.

Reactions: asiufy and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agreed, they should, like you say, "It would be gentlemanly, however, for dealers to talk more about stuff they like and avoid the commentary about stuff that they think is *******"

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think most of our dealers help the forum in a good way and generally speak about synergy with components they represent.

I also think a distributor giving a show report isn't the worst thing. Its a show, people, not a review. A glimpse so to speak. We've all heard our own gear sound sub-par at shows lol.

Steve Williams

Hi,

I concur but some of this has gone too far imho ymmv. It feels as though the forum is sponsored by a few manufacturers now.
Rest assured it’s not now nor will it ever be

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think most of our dealers help the forum in a good way and generally speak about synergy with components they represent.

I also think a distributor giving a show report isn't the worst thing. Its a show, people, not a review. A glimpse so to speak. We've all heard our own gear sound sub-par at shows lol.

We were not referring to the show report alone

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Thanks Ked.

This is my simplistic take on things. WHERE an industry participant criticizes competition is very important. It makes the criticizing participant look like a poacher or a dynamite fisherman. Most especially in the case of accusations. I understand that many a time these guys are just being themselves with no real motive. The thing is it just will never project that way. As a result, IMO it is the manufacturers they represent that suffers. What's the saying? No clean hands? When it comes to plain members, the ramifications are far less but there are some. When someone jumps in on a thread and says, "That is crap, mine is best" hey, congratulations on that newfound fanboy status. It's not fair but it is the way it is. That is what this medium allows. Instead doing that just start new topics on the stuff you think are better. Everyone benefits. It is, I think, that simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing