Best overall cartridge

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi @amadeus,
What is the Zyx Sarasrto? Do you mean Astro?

Any experience with additional mono cartridges besides the Sumile?
Thank for remaining i changed it to Astro :)

Reactions: iaxel

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Has anyone auditioned the new ZYX exceed series?

I’m happily using the XYZ ultimate 4D with carbon cantilever, great bass but I find it a bit lean compared to my Miyajima Destiny
I have the same cartridge, option SHB, the sound depends of your arm and your turntable.

Reactions: Rawlit

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
For me and in my system, the Lyra Atlas Lambda SL on the Primary Control FCL tonearm is the best of the bunch I tested.
That bunch included the Lyra Atlas Lambda, Phasemation PP-2000, Opus One (Airtight), the Lyra Etna, Dava Reference and Dava FC-A1

The Opus One was excellent as well, more of a sideway movement but a touch less transparent, i.e. a tiny bit more forgiving (to rest of the system).

The DAVA goes a very long way on the FCL tonearm, but the Atlas, being much lighter and having more compliance, extracts more benefits from the combination with that tonearm. The Atlas SL adds dynamic range, incredibly low, yet tight bass, even better layering, more detail but also less buttery, so more transparent to the rest of the system.

By the way, i still have both DAVA, they are in excellent condition, ready to sell them. If anyone interested, let me know!

20221107_141657.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For me and in my system, the Lyra Atlas Lambda SL on the Primary Control FCL tonearm is the best of the bunch I tested.
That bunch included the Lyra Atlas Lambda, Phasemation PP-2000, Opus One (Airtight), the Lyra Etna, Dava Reference and Dava FC-A1

The Opus One was excellent as well, more of a sideway movement but a touch less transparent, i.e. a tiny bit more forgiving (to rest of the system).

The DAVA goes a very long way on the FCL tonearm, but the Atlas, being much lighter and having more compliance, extracts more benefits from the combination with that tonearm. The Atlas SL adds dynamic range, incredibly low, yet tight bass, even better layering, more detail but also less buttery, so more transparent to the rest of the system.

By the way, i still have both DAVA, they are in excellent condition, ready to sell them. If anyone interested, let me know!
i expect that my special version of the Etsuro Gold will turn out to be superior to the DaVa on my 12" FCL arm for the some of the same reasons. but not yet tried the DaVa in that place. not tried any Lyra's in my system since the Olympos SL a decade ago.

this Etsuro Gold/FCL/NVS combo is simply amazing. the FCL does not suck. might be the best tonearm i have heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thank you for sharing these comparisons using the same arm in the same system. I also like the Opus One very much. Could you be a bit more specific about what the DaVa was missing when compared to the Opus One and Atlas Lambda, both of which I have heard? One reads a lot about the DaVa these days but no so much anything critical. I suspect you will have no difficulty selling it.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Thank you for sharing these comparisons using the same arm in the same system. I also like the Opus One very much. Could you be a bit more specific about what the DaVa was missing when compared to the Opus One and Atlas Lambda, both of which I have heard? One reads a lot about the DaVa these days but no so much anything critical. I suspect you will have no difficulty selling it.
I thought the DAVA Reference had a lot of details and sounding organic and dynamic at the same time, until i heard the Atlas Lambda (and Opus One)... So, I got the Atlas SL because i wanted to be able to keep on using my +18dB SUT.

Again, i attribute a lot to them being able to extract more of the virtues of the FCL. The DAVA being very weighty (27grams the cartridge alone) and need for a good damping in the arm, reason why i had to add another 15 (!) grams of weight on the headshell, was just not the best fit for the arm, simple! It was a very good one though and it does show the craftmanship of Bernd from Primary Control that his arms do well also with such cartridge!
On my request, Bernd equipped the arm with two extra wires for the cartridge's field coil power supply. You can see them idle, stuck to the bottom of the headshell on the picture i posted yesterday. I could cut the wires but prefer to keep them there, who knows another FC cartridge comes along one day with more 'modern' specs that marries the virtues of lower weight (or at least higher compliance needing less damping of the arm) with a field coil :cool:.

Anyway, have always been happy with services from Darnius and Bernd in either set-up.

Based on Mike's comment, I wish I listened to the Etsuro as well, but hey, can't have it all!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
BTW, i have a 10.5" FCL tonearm and, as a dealer for Primary Control and although I could have requested that, I did not want the arm to be tailored to the (pretty exclusive) requirements of the DAVA alone, for obvious reasons.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

View attachment 100014

I certainly luv my Lyra Atlas Lambda SL. 60 hours into my 2nd one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing