Best computer speakers

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I'm thinking about upgrading my computer speakers. Right now I am using a Logitech 2.1 system that includes very large subwoofer / amplifier cube. These speakers are listenable and non-fatiguing. I'm looking for an upgrade to a better system with built-in amplification, hopefully without a huge subwoofer box. What are the best choices for self-powered monitors that are superior to the Bose / Logitech / Klipsch offerings?

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer speakers. Right now I am using a Logitech 2.1 system that includes very large subwoofer / amplifier cube. These speakers are listenable and non-fatiguing. I'm looking for an upgrade to a better system with built-in amplification, hopefully without a huge subwoofer box. What are the best choices for self-powered monitors that are superior to the Bose / Logitech / Klipsch offerings?

I use the 2.1 Logitech Z-2300, which is what I think is the model you may be referring to. That subwoofer is a monster for a PC setup and it is quite enjoyable and non-fatiguing as you say. I'd be interested to hear what suggestions come across in the next few posts as well.

Jay_S

What's your budget? Just inpassing , stay away from Bose .. Incredible Marketing .. Light years away from the notion of accurate sound reproduction .. Logitech... Not in the running for great sound either ... Klipsch? I don't know, I liked a model they no longer manufacture but has not heard any of their new products ...

Jay_S

What's your budget? Just inpassing , stay away from Bose .. Incredible Marketing .. Light years away from the notion of accurate sound reproduction .. Logitech... Not in the running for great sound either ... Klipsch? I don't know, I liked a model they no longer manufacture but has not heard any of their new products ...

Frantz....don't bypass Logitech so quickly. I listened to the comparable Klipsch 2.1 setem (forget the model #), and the Loggies were better IMO.

John

Self-powered low-cost monitors

You might consider the KRK Rokit series, which comes in various sizes. The largest size, the Rokit 8's, cost about $200 a side through online distributors. They were reviewed in TAS, believe it or not. These speakers have built-in bi-amplification, level and tweeter adjustments, and are fairly refined for the price point.

Piggybacking on Nick's post, if you want real high fidelity sound, invest in powered monitors used for music recording. The sound you get is leaps and bounds better than any PC targeted for that market. I have both NHT and Genelecs and they are incredible -- rivaling expensive high-end speakers (when listened in near-field mode). The only drawback is cost. These speakers are bi-amped with electronic crossovers, with quality drivers which makes them expensive. A good configuration with a sub pushes $1,000.

PC speakers as a rule, have cheap $5 drivers, plastic boxes, little IC amps, etc. Some can get loud but really are not a high fidelity solution. Spend a few hundred dollars more and you will be in audio nirvana!

Thanks, some good suggestions. I am looking for something better than Logitech, Klipsch, and Bose. Amir, you just stuck a nerve. I'm tired of noisy IC amps and cheap volume pots that quickly get scratchy.

I've never needed good computer speakers, but ten years ago almost bought these:

Monsoon MM-700
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/speakers/monsoon/mm-700/index.shtml
Image072.jpg

Hi

Sorry about the Slight against Logitech... I have not heard all their models so their might be some sleepers .. a case of sighted bias ;)

I second the KRK Rokit series. The model 6 was reviewed in TAS and that is how I became aware of the brand. Heard them, very , very good. The factory is in neck of my 'hoods about 20 mins from Miami, FL. TAS/AV Guide Review HERE.
For more money, the Dynaudio BM5A is very difficult to beat, about $1000/pr sans sub

Laptop-based audio system overview...

For not too much more than what one would spend on the mass-market, heavily-advertised (guess who pays for the ads?) "computer" speakers, you can get prosumer and entry-level recording studio gear that's radically better.

Distributors sometimes have B stock or returns (thinking here of the monitors) with warranty, and that's a good way to help keep the total cost down. I've had good experiences with American Musical Supply. They generally carry the products Amir and I have mentioned, and they're well-informed. So are the people at Music Direct, just to give a couple of examples.

And it's worth it to get good speakers, because as you'll then discover, personal computers can definitely provide high-quality digital audio data to an external DAC. Watching Netflix movies on an office system with a 24" screen, the Rokits or Genelecs is a lot of fun!

To get really good quality, remember that many higher-spec PCs have S/PDIF via TOSLINK (usually piggy-backed into one of the earphone jacks) available, which allows you to connect to an external DAC and thus bypass the analog output of the computer (usually a very good thing to avoid...)

WireWorld makes a great glass-fiber cable with a miniature plug that will fit; AudioQuest makes a similar cable, except that you'll need to get an adapter (which they also sell) to fit the laptop jack. And some laptops, and especially those with docking stations, even have an electrical S/PDIF jack.

And there's always USB or FireWire... the inexpensive USB interfaces that output S/PDIF via RCA or TOSLINK, as well as some of the $200-$600 USB DACs are OK for casual use. Just don't put them into a reference system...

BTW The J River Media Center software ($49) allows you to use WASAPI (on Windows) to send bit-perfect output to an external DAC.

So the main point is that for a reasonably small expenditure, one can transform the generally painful laptop audio experience into something that's really quite good and easy to set up.

Another one you may want to consider is B&W just introduced a PC speaker, MM-1. I haven't heard them myself, however.

I'm currently using the old Klipsch's Pro-Media's. Certainly not in the same class as powered monitors.

Sign me up as another AudioEngine fan. Love 'em and u can buy some stands to put them on to get them closer to ear level.

For $200 the Audioengine 2s are great. I take 'em with me on vacations too. Depends on what you want out of a computer speaker obviously.

Some years back I owned the Monsoons shown in kach22i's post. The planar drivers had to be positioned very carefully for best sound and I chose not to repair them once they broke.

After some research, the KRK line and the Audioengine model 5s look interesting. But due to limited desktop space, I will have to wait until I make some other changes. The second LCD screen is going to have to go.

After audioning the Audioengine A5, the KRK Rokit 6 and the M-Audio Studiophile CX5, I have found that the Rokit 6 is the one that suits my ear the most. I am in a bit of a quandary however, as I can get the M-Audio monitors (used-like new) for about $200 less. Since money doesn't grow on trees in my world, this is a most tempting consideration. If I think about it logically, I could most likely sell them for what I paid some months down the road, which would give me some time to save a bit more for the KRK Rokit 6's.

I have decided on the Asus Xonar Essence STX audio card, and will also continue to use my MediaMonkey Gold for playback/ripping, etc. With a little luck (and trust me I need some as it's been a struggle this past year) all this should come together by the end of June.

Here's something really cheap but quite good for what they are - i.e. small, portable $60 speakers. The Razer Ferox. Razer makes some of the best gaming mice in the industry and this is their 2nd set of speakers. They had a 2.1 system that has since been phased out.

What's your size limit?

Something like a pair of Tannoy Precision 8D's would make killer near field speakers, if you're willing to have bigger boxes.

I use an older, passive model (System 8 NFM II) for the LCR channels my computer/multichannel music nearfield system.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing