Best capacitors for power amps...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The caps look top solder the trick is big tip to transfer heat fast this is best to not hurt the Board nor cap if done fast
another way is cut the old caps off then it’s just two exposed stubs to remove.
to put back is high heat big tip the do fast. The heat mist travel up from the bottom of the board to melt on top of board strips
it’s hard to know if the solder has done so.
another way is leave a small gap to look under caps
Then you know. At this point leave or heat fast and push down.
Brands have a sound and not all brands are made in trusted places anymore.
never buy on ama or flea markets you cannot trust them. you need a good trusted source.
there are date codes on the caps and new ones maybe be smaller or different values specs.
there are some comments on DIY websites
And makers can be misleading as to when or what to pic just as much as helpful.
amp looks very well made and easy to service.
my advice is change one channel and play to let burn in. you will hear a change and this helps to know it’s worth the effort and it also helps you know your work is done well. Use good high quality magnifying glasses or lighted glass. it’s very hard to see a bad solder joint at times.
solder suckers can cause damage as well as help.
Go slow and find a good method you have plenty to do lol.
exact values may not be possible but get very close. higher working temps is good
and ESR as well but ESR Alone is not always better.
even if you do one board at a time and burn in is good some caps on Boards closer to drivers or outputs have bigger changes then main psu caps.
good luck do post results

Reactions: Stereophonic

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Thank you.
I’m not repairing myself the amp.
It is at https://dbtronic.es/.
Official Classé SAT.
They are going to use WBT Silver 4% solder.
This is what I'm talking about. Silver will actually be a contaminant in the solderjoint since no silver or gold is used by the parts involved. So you're paying for an expensive solder with no benefit whatsoever. Solders like that are used to prevent gold, silver or rhodium from leaching into the solderjoint when such materials are present on the parts to be soldered together.

SN63 is used when you're dealing with copper and tin plated parts, such as the filter cap's leads. It is a eutectic solder like WBT's solders are, but a lot less expensive and in this case will give you as much or better benefit.

Reactions: Alrainbow

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
This is what I'm talking about. Silver will actually be a contaminant in the solderjoint since no silver or gold is used by the parts involved. So you're paying for an expensive solder with no benefit whatsoever. Solders like that are used to prevent gold, silver or rhodium from leaching into the solderjoint when such materials are present on the parts to be soldered together.

SN63 is used when you're dealing with copper and tin plated parts, such as the filter cap's leads. It is a eutectic solder like WBT's solders are, but a lot less expensive and in this case will give you as much or better benefit.

Aren't the WBT solders lead free?

I find it much harder to get a good joint with lead free solder.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI

WBT makes both leaded and lead free solder. I agree lead free solder is a PIA.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com

They probably are, as part of compliance with RoHS.

A lot of lead-free solders have higher melting temperatures- some as much as 100 degrees more. Some are not that much higher than regular solder.

If the solderjoint isn't good, it obviates any use of an exotic solder used to make it, wouldn't you think?

SN63 is still readily available. As long as the lead is not above a certain percentage of weight (0.1%) in the device in which its used, you stay in compliance with RoHS.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Solder material used, WBT-0820:

IMG_7393.jpeg
Answer from Classé SAT:
“This tin has a bit of lead in it.
And also for the welding to be durable, it must be so. For years and for environmental reasons, these tin alloys have been withdrawn from the European market.
In terms of confidence, it is quite negative since we are tired of seeing equipment with very few years and completely cracked welds. This tin is much better than lead free.
Reason for using silver in solder is that it makes that solder stronger and sits better in the track itself.”
Final caps soldered…
Next step voltage and Bias potentiometer adjustment.
Great work !!!
CLASSE OMEGA DBTRONIC.png

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing