Berkeley Reference 3 DAC

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Monday I'll be picking up a Berkeley Ref 3 to home demo for a bit. I'll be doing some A/B comparisons to my Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA and will report back by the end of next week.

Reactions: MJB

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
For some reason my equipment list doesn't show the Pass Labs XP-30 which I recently added.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Work got in the way of listening more than I planned this week but this weekend I"ll get caught up. I should have a full report by the end of the day tomorrow. In the meantime, as you might expect, I can say the Ref 3 is better than my Alpha DAC by a fair bit. Whether it's $20k better is an open question at this point.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Mods: When I update my equipment list in Account details the changes don't transfer to my posts. They do show up in account details though. What am I doing wrong?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Last winter I compared a Berkeley Reference 1 to My Alpha DAC 2/MQA and couldn't hear a difference. I have not heard the Reference 2 but waited until the Reference 3 came out, thinking there should be an audible difference between that and my Alpha DAC. There is but to use an overused term it's incremental which I guess it should be at this level.
Using 53.0 as a gain setting on both DACs I initially listerned to the REF 3 and then started AB'ing between the two. I then settled on the REF 3 listening on and off for the last few days. This afternoon I listened a bit more to the REF 3 then switched back to the Alpha DAC for a few tracks. The differences were apparent but not what I would call significant. The REF 3 has more authority in the lower piano registers and bass notes, a bit more clarity and a sweetness to it without losing any detail. The REF 3 is a little more dynamic too. Soundstaging was equal between the two.
If all this sounds like Robert Harley's TAS review I guess that means we heard the same things. I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow and hopefully we can work something out because I'd definitely like to make the change but, truth be told, I could live with either DAC.

Reactions: EuroDriver

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing