Bayz Audio 2.0 Announcement

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Actually I was the one who invented the name "Bayz" Audio ... as working for them some 3 years as a kind of adviser. So I know the concept quite well, with its benefits and limitations.

I am designing and operating PA and studio monitoring systems as well, and based on my roughly 30 years experience I know it is very difficult to do proper rock listening at home without "punch", which usually requires front-facing at least 12-inch bass speaker to move some air. Some kind of "bone shaking" required and it is not just mean loud. At least how I am enjoying rock. You can be different of course, it is just my way. :)

It would have been great to know that you were Bayz;) Well if you say they can't rock then I am confused. Do the Courante rock like a PA system, NO, understood. We listen to rock differently, I agree.

I wold say that the way I listen to rock is to the way the majority of my customers and visitors listen to rock. Most customers are in home environments and they don't have PA systems in their living rooms:)

I can play the Courantes to about 90db with 95db peaks in a 700 Sq. Ft. room with a wall to wall 3 D holographic solid soundstage, full bodied sound with deep extension and put on ANY rock including hip-hop and it works for me. Space between each instrument with appropriate air and harmonics coming from each instrument and nothing gives way or collapses.

I think the differentiation must be how each of us listen to rock. I lived with Avantgarde Trios w4/BH"s for 10 years and for me they could rock and sound ALIVE. I don't get the same impact with the Courantes of course, but I listen to any hip-hop or hard rock that I want OR any visitor that I hand the iPad to and so far they have not disappointed me or anyone that has heard them.

Color me confused because I respect that you are part of Bayz etc but I am experiencing something different. Actually it is the difference of terminology regarding listening to rock that is different. For you and many I guess they would not play rock in an acceptable manner, for me they can play rock to the levels that I would listen to even if I had a PA system in the room.

I'm more into 3D palpable, holographic soundstage, with fine detail and resolution than I am into thumping my chest, but that's just me.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, Trios w BHs are quite the destination system for many people. I can't quite imagine moving away from such a sound. What was instrumental for you in parting company?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, Trios w BHs are quite the destination system for many people. I can't quite imagine moving away from such a sound. What was instrumental for you in parting company?

Hey Marc, Merry Christmas:)

I sold Avantgarde for 15 years. Sold between 5-10 pair of Trios/BH's can't remember the exact number. Sold 50+ pair of Avantgarde around the country over the 15 year period.

I had the Trios in 2002ish. I also at the same time had the full MBL reference 101E's w/MBL full Ref electronics as well as the Goldmund Epilogues w six/Telos 2500s.

Here are articles from SixMoons and Art Dudley from 2002 regarding Avantgarde and Avantgarde Music and Cinema.

https://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/777/index.html

https://6moons.com/industryfeatures/visintainer/visintainer.html

At that time until 2007 I sold probably $10M worth of the Goldmund systems along with Home Theater in many of the installations. Then after the 2008ish CRASH the Trios/BHs were not selling, I think I sold my pair around 2012. Then I went to Goldmund Apologues.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Happy Xmas to you too. Interesting how some brands do well, others suffer. Trios/BHs are no less practical than many other complex spkrs installs, and yet yr other left field spkrs choices make better commercial sense.

Any reason why Trios we good pre-2008 crash but not after, while other pricey packages still sell?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Happy Xmas to you too. Interesting how some brands do well, others suffer. Trios/BHs are no less practical than many other complex spkrs installs, and yet yr other left field spkrs choices make better commercial sense.

Any reason why Trios we good pre-2008 crash but not after, while other pricey packages still sell?

It wasn't just the Trios/BH's after 2008 that took a dive. It probably had to do with NYC/Wall Street more so than other places in the US. Even people that were OK were watching people's financial lives ruined and neighbors houses being foreclosed on. It was not a cool thing at that time to buy extravagant "look at me" items and the Trios and the BIG Goldmund fell into that category. Luxury items in general took were in decline until around 2014ish maybe, somewhere around there the sting of 2008 finally started to wear off.

Even now where BIG SYSTEMS are cool again, I love my current offerings as they are house friendly and for me a much more refined, higher resolution sound than any systems that I have been acquainted with in the past.

Right now is the golden age of audio for me.....livin' it, lovin' it:)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Bob. Good thing the "shame" of owning big systems is behind us.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I just recorded this video at again in my 35' X 18' X 11' room at around 90db with 95db peaks. 3D holographic soundstage, incredible midrange (for this this type of recording), the bass goes under the floor with fullness/great body, my heavy chair is slightly vibrating and I can feel the bass going through my body. No sign of strain.

Does it thump you in the chest like 2 15" woofers/subs do (I have that in my other speakers) no. Do I notice that it's different, no. For me it's just rockin' and enjoying the music.

Last edited:

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
It would have been great to know that you were Bayz;) Well if you say they can't rock then I am confused. Do the Courante rock like a PA system, NO, understood. We listen to rock differently, I agree.

I wold say that the way I listen to rock is to the way the majority of my customers and visitors listen to rock. Most customers are in home environments and they don't have PA systems in their living rooms:)

I can play the Courantes to about 90db with 95db peaks in a 700 Sq. Ft. room with a wall to wall 3 D holographic solid soundstage, full bodied sound with deep extension and put on ANY rock including hip-hop and it works for me. Space between each instrument with appropriate air and harmonics coming from each instrument and nothing gives way or collapses.

I think the differentiation must be how each of us listen to rock. I lived with Avantgarde Trios w4/BH"s for 10 years and for me they could rock and sound ALIVE. I don't get the same impact with the Courantes of course, but I listen to any hip-hop or hard rock that I want OR any visitor that I hand the iPad to and so far they have not disappointed me or anyone that has heard them.

Color me confused because I respect that you are part of Bayz etc but I am experiencing something different. Actually it is the difference of terminology regarding listening to rock that is different. For you and many I guess they would not play rock in an acceptable manner, for me they can play rock to the levels that I would listen to even if I had a PA system in the room.

I'm more into 3D palpable, holographic soundstage, with fine detail and resolution than I am into thumping my chest, but that's just me.

Let me make it clear: I do not work for them. I was for a bit more than 3 years as an advisor, not an employee. The Bayz name was my idea. But it is history now. Anyway.

I had an Avantgarde Trio at home driven with one of the very few Audio Note Kageki (Kondo) amp and full AN silver cabling, with Micromega Duo Transport and AN DAC5 Signature DAC for almost 10 years. It was mighty fine. But could not play rock.

When I changed my Trios to a Danley SH50 PA speakers I understood that rock music at home is a bit different than sounding loud, clear and with good bass.

3D palpable, holographic soundstage is not something I really looking for (playing rock music at home), in case of most of the commercial, multitrack recordings it is only question of reverberation provided by post-production. There are very few modern recordings when it is really recorded properly. This is one of the reasons I started the so-called My Reel Club live studio recordings where for a moderate fee one can attend to a recording session and experience how the studio recordings made. You can read more about it here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-reel-club-experience-your-own-reference-recordings.28788/

Reactions: adyc

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Let me make it clear: I do not work for them. I was for a bit more than 3 years as an advisor, not an employee. The Bayz name was my idea. But it is history now. Anyway.

I had an Avantgarde Trio at home driven with one of the very few Audio Note Kageki (Kondo) amp and full AN silver cabling, with Micromega Duo Transport and AN DAC5 Signature DAC for almost 10 years. It was mighty fine. But could not play rock.

When I changed my Trios to a Danley SH50 PA speakers I understood that rock music at home is a bit different than sounding loud, clear and with good bass.

3D palpable, holographic soundstage is not something I really looking for, in case of most of the commercial, multitrack recordings it is only question of reverberation provided by post-production. There are very few modern recordings when it is really recorded properly. This is one of the reasons I started the so-called My Reel Club live studio recordings where for a moderate fee one can attend to a recording session and experience how the studio recordings made. you can read more about it here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-reel-club-experience-your-own-reference-recordings.28788/

Understood. I'm surprised your Trios didn't rock. Did you have four BH's with them or the 225 subs? They did not rock until the BH's came along in my experience and again to me.

I have daily visitors and some are only interested in tonality, others like me want the 3D holographic soundstage with great layering on the soundstage with air around each voice or instrument, with accurate harmonics coming off of each instrument and not necessarily interfering with the other items on the soundstage. Others want chest thumping bass.

I understand as well as anyone that many people have different sonic preferences. My assertion that the Bayz can rock is within the context of my room, at the levels that I play at etc. They wouldn't rock for you but for me they do:)

Nothing wrong with different opinions, I totally respect yours!

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Understood. I'm surprised your Trios didn't rock. Did you have four BH's with them or the 225 subs? They did not rock until the BH's came along in my experience and again to me.

I have daily visitors and some are only interested in tonality, others like me want the 3D holographic soundstage with great layering on the soundstage with air around each voice or instrument, with accurate harmonics coming off of each instrument and not necessarily interfering with the other items on the soundstage. Others want chest thumping bass.

I understand as well as anyone that many people have different sonic preferences. My assertion that the Bayz can rock is within the context of my room, at the levels that I play at etc. They wouldn't rock for you but for me they do:)

Nothing wrong with different opinions, I totally respect yours!

Sure. :)
Thanks. It is just my experience and opinion and there are a million others. All legitimate.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas

If a pair of Danley SH-50 PA speakers (twin high-end prosound 12's, max SPL 133 dB) is the standard for what it takes to "rock", not many home audio speakers are going to measure up.

The Bayz looks to me like an exceptional design built around a uniquely innovative high frequency driver... very much a case of "form follows function", but in this rare instance, said form would enhance an art gallery.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Duke,

I have literally hundreds of customers and not one of them could rock if PA type speakers were the qualification:) BUT everyone is different so ROCK ON':)

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Bayz Audio or Alsyvox ? very difficult choice.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bayz Audio or Alsyvox ? very difficult choice.

Tell me about it. I have the Bayz, Alsyvox and Diesis all sitting in front of me and I can never figure out which one I want to listen to:) Although I would never call it a problem:)

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Tell me about it. I have the Bayz, Alsyvox and Diesis all sitting in front of me and I can never figure out which one I want to listen to:) Although I would never call it a problem:)

If you had to make a choice between the Counterpoint 2.0 and the Botticelli which ones would you pick ?
I've seen Counterpoint driven by CH Precision I1 integrated at AXPONA therefore you don't need huge amount of gear to drive them.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If you had to make a choice between the Counterpoint 2.0 and the Botticelli which ones would you pick ?
I've seen Counterpoint driven by CH Precision I1 integrated at AXPONA therefore you don't need huge amount of gear to drive them.

WELL, right now I don't know because I currently have the Tintoretto and Courante. I have the Counterpoint 2.0 arriving in January and the Botticelli around March.

I drive the Tintoretto with as little as a 32 Watt tube amp in a big room and they sound great. I prefer a 100Wattish type amp. Right now with the Tintoretto or Courante I am driving them for my own listening with a 100 Watt hybrid integrated from Diesis and I love the sound. Although I've had visitors that MUCH prefer the Pilium amp which is 300 Watts.

Also the Botticelli is $89K, the Counterpoint 2.0 is $159K usd.

Reactions: Thieliste

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
If a pair of Danley SH-50 PA speakers (twin high-end prosound 12's, max SPL 133 dB) is the standard for what it takes to "rock", not many home audio speakers are going to measure up.

The Bayz looks to me like an exceptional design built around a uniquely innovative high frequency driver... very much a case of "form follows function", but in this rare instance, said form would enhance an art gallery.

Actually the Danley is not about SPL at home of course, but phase coherency, bass precision, rhythm, liveliness and punch for example (and its construction is a really an original idea, study it, very interesting). There was a very good reason why I changed the Trios (after using it for almost 10 years) to the SH50s, but I do not want to convince anybody. If one likes to listen to rock music with the Bayz speakers it is absolutely fine with me. My requirements are a bit different and as I have experience with Bayz speakers and other speakers doing rock according to my taste as well, I just wanted to share my experience. No offence.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Actually the Danley is not about SPL at home of course, but phase coherency, bass precision, rhythm, liveliness and punch for example (and its construction is a really an original idea, study it, very interesting). There was a very good reason why I changed the Trios (after using it for almost 10 years) to the SH50s, but I do not want to convince anybody. If one likes to listen to rock music with the Bayz speakers it is absolutely fine with me. My requirements are a bit different and as I have experience with Bayz speakers and other speakers doing rock according to my taste as well, I just wanted to share my experience. No offence.

I also don't think, especially me, that say the Bayz or a whole lot of other speakers would sound as good playing rock as say the SH50's etc. I really do get that. I would say that I listen to rock ALL THE TIME:) and I can enjoy it on the Bayz and a whole lot of other spearers that might not "thump the chest" but still allow me to enjoy rock music.

I remember , I think it was in the late 80's. I lived in Michigan, I think I owned Watt/Puppies. I visited David and Evana Manley in Chino. I was looking at their amps/pre. They had a pair of old custom B/W 808's (tan with different colored specs of multi color paints) with two 15" woofers in their studio that David had brought to the US from Abbey Road Studios.

I still remember looking down at my pant leg and seeing the material move on my pants. I BEGGED David for 6 months to let me buy those speakers and never succeeded. Then I BEGGED Evana and she somehow talked David into selling them to me. It was a fun experience, the best part was meeting Evana, who I have been a fan of ever since.

Last edited:

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
I also don't think, especially me, that say the Bayz or a whole lot of other speakers would sound as good playing rock as say the SH50's etc. I really do get that. I would say that I listen to rock ALL THE TIME:) and I can enjoy it on the Bayz and a whole lot of other spearers that might not "thump the chest" but still allow me to enjoy rock music.

I remember , I think it was in the late 80's. I lived in Michigan, I think I owned Watt/Puppies. I visited David and Evana Manley in Chino. I was looking at their amps/pre. They had a pair of old custom B/W 808's (tan with different colored specs of multi color paints) with two 15" woofers in their studio that David had brought to the US from Abbey Road Studios.

I still remember looking down at my pant leg and seeing the material move on my pants. I BEGGED David for 6 months to let me buy those speakers and never succeeded. Then I BEGGED Evana and she somehow talked David into selling them to me. It was a fun experience, the best part was meeting Evana, who I have been a fan of ever since.

When I changed from the Trio to the SH50, we were making solo violin recordings in a church, with Royer ribbon SF series stereo mic with active valve electronics, in 192k/24 bit. Around this time I could listen these recordings in the company's demo room where I was working as a system integrator/designer, using a ProAc Response 4 speakers and a bit later on a Focal Grand Utopia as well. None of them could provide the same palpable, real solo violin sound in a church feeling as the SH50s could. So it was not used for rock all the time.

I understood it is a topic opened by a Bayz dealer (distributor?), about a Bayz development, so I stop talking about Danley.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
When I changed from the Trio to the SH50, we were making solo violin recordings in a church, with Royer ribbon SF series stereo mic with active valve electronics, in 192k/24 bit. Around this time I could listen these recordings in the company's demo room where I was working as a system integrator/designer, using a ProAc Response 4 speakers and a bit later on a Focal Grand Utopia as well. None of them could provide the same palpable, real solo violin sound in a church feeling as the SH50s could. So it was not used for rock all the time.

I understood it is a topic opened by a Bayz dealer (distributor?), about a Bayz development, so I stop talking about Danley.

Thx and it's fine. It would be fun to hear the SH50's, hope to do so in the future. Happy Holidays!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing