Baffled about computer power

Status
Not open for further replies.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not necessarily. As was discussed earlier, it may not be the reproduced music as such, which the user finds engaging; it could be many other factors, like valves that glow blue. People acknowledge the placebo effect when talking about it in isolation, and are even prepared to accept that of course their impression of an audio system is swayed by many things other than the reproduction of music. But in the next post have forgotten all about it when relating how their latest tweak "sounds".

Surely. We know it is all placebo - it is why audiophiles queue to buy amplifiers using blue LEDs to create the blue glowing. ;)

Bias exists in every sighted report. We should know how to read between the lines and analyze these subjective reports using our own experience and knowledgeif you want to extract something useful for us. It is why it is important to list the recordings, write details and readers should know the poster system, preferences and previous history.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Amir,

Isn't 'Hi-End' defined by the price tag?
Is the price tag carry any guaranty for SQ?

Nope, audiophilia, or caring about the SQ of sound setup, is driven by personal tastes and preferences, it has nothing to do with 'truth'. Many 'audiophiles' don't even care about fidelity (which, in my dictionary, is the aspiration to come a little close to live music).

You need to remove the parenthetical phrase bolded above, then this will be an accurate statement. SQ, signal quality, is nothing like "musicality" or "euphonic" or even audiophilia's notion of realism. It is the quality of the signal output relative to the signal input of a wire, component, system, etc. It is not driven by personal tastes or preferences. I'll give you your personal definition of "high fidelity," because its original meaning, the relative fidelity of a system's output to the recording, is all but lost in audiophile relativism. Run a google search and you'll probably get more hits on the John Cusack movie of the same name.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You need to remove the parenthetical phrase bolded above, then this will be an accurate statement. SQ, signal quality, is nothing like "musicality" or "euphonic" or even audiophilia's notion of realism. It is the quality of the signal output relative to the signal input of a wire, component, system, etc. It is not driven by personal tastes or preferences. I'll give you your personal definition of "high fidelity," because its original meaning, the relative fidelity of a system's output to the recording, is all but lost in audiophile relativism. Run a google search and you'll probably get more hits on the John Cusack movie of the same name.

Tim

Fidelity begins at the recording process not at reproduction so I don't buy the signal and wire bullocks. That we have no control of the former is no justification for the latter. It begins and ends with transduction. Ignore this and all you have is a concept which "sounds" logical but really isn't.

Joshua_G

Jun 24, 2013
Israel
Hi Tim,
You need to remove the parenthetical phrase bolded above, then this will be an accurate statement.
I stand corrected (if it's a proper English phrase).

SQ, signal quality, …
By SQ I meant Sound Quality.
In my dictionary, 'signal' and 'sound' aren't synonymous (though, technically, the sound is being produced [or reproduced] be electronic signal).

… is nothing like "musicality" or "euphonic" or even audiophilia's notion of realism.
Indeed, various terms, referring to various phenomena. Sound quality, 'musicality', 'euphonic' and 'sense of realism' are different phenomena.

It is the quality of the signal output relative to the signal input …
Possibly, depends on how that 'signal quality' is being evaluated, or measured.

Personally, I'm interested in the experience of listening to music, more than in the signal (though I have technical background in electronics).

I mentioned above 2 'camps'.
There is yet another distinction into different 'camps' – those who are interested mainly in the electronic signals and those who are interested mainly in the experience of listening to music.

To my view, there is no 'right' and 'wrong' here, only different people have different interests, or different focus.

However, to my experience, it's impossible to maintain a dialogue between people belonging to the 2 last 'camps'. Let's leave it at that, since no member of one 'camp' is going to convert any member of the other 'camp'.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
As I said, there are various 'camps'.
You said there were two major camps. I just think that my third camp is probably more major than either of yours! :)

Joshua_G

Jun 24, 2013
Israel
Fidelity begins at the recording process not at reproduction so I don't buy the signal and wire bullocks. That we have no control of the former is no justification for the latter. It begins and ends with transduction. Ignore this and all you have is a concept which "sounds" logical but really isn't.
Indeed, fidelity begins at the recording process.
Yet, the same recording sounds different on different setups.
Indeed, we don't have control on the recording/mixing/mastering processes, yet we have control on the reproduction setup.
Whether wires have an impact on the sound quality of the reproduction setup or not, it's up to each one's experience, or prejudice.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Of course. A bad recording will reproduce badly, regardless of the quality of the system. But as you accurately noted, we have not control over the quality of the recording, so in the context of a conversation, hobby and industry that is about reproducing recordings without significant user-controlled signal processing, it's the only concept that is logical.

Tim

Last edited:

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
...yet we have control on the reproduction setup.

Not a lot. Most audiophiles tend to shun tone controls and, even worse in their minds, DSP; they achieve their control of the sound by moving their speakers around and when that doesn't work, churning equipment. It's a long, hard, expensive road...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Tim,

I stand corrected (if it's a proper English phrase).

By SQ I meant Sound Quality.
In my dictionary, 'signal' and 'sound' aren't synonymous (though, technically, the sound is being produced [or reproduced] be electronic signal).

Indeed, various terms, referring to various phenomena. Sound quality, 'musicality', 'euphonic' and 'sense of realism' are different phenomena.

Possibly, depends on how that 'signal quality' is being evaluated, or measured.

Personally, I'm interested in the experience of listening to music, more than in the signal (though I have technical background in electronics).

I mentioned above 2 'camps'.
There is yet another distinction into different 'camps' – those who are interested mainly in the electronic signals and those who are interested mainly in the experience of listening to music.

To my view, there is no 'right' and 'wrong' here, only different people have different interests, or different focus.

However, to my experience, it's impossible to maintain a dialogue between people belonging to the 2 last 'camps'. Let's leave it at that, since no member of one 'camp' is going to convert any member of the other 'camp'.

I don't doubt that this camp exists, but it must be exceedingly small, as I've never met a single member. Every audiophile I've ever met, in person or online, was interested in listening to music. What separates the two main camps is whether or not they believe that accurate reproduction of the recording is important. I'll only say it is important to me. And it is only important because of the way it sounds. I've taken a long path toward ever more linear reproduction that began with a cartridge upgrade, and a switch from horns to acoustic suspension speakers, 40 years ago and continues today with digital recordings, computer audio and active speakers. That sound which the "musical" audiophiles refer to as "clinical?" That is what delivers the sense of realism to me. That is what helps me connect emotionally to the music. That is my preference. If it weren't, all the measurements in the world wouldn't matter. And I'm nowhere close to alone; I don't think you'll find a single "objectivist" here who disagrees. Characterizing us as being primarily interested in the signal, or the numbers, or specs, or charts and graphs, is just a way to dismiss an alternative POV.

"Sound Quality?" Yes. That's purely subjective. Whatever you enjoy, enjoy. One man's warm bath of musical euphony is another's aural wet willie.

Tim

Surely. We know it is all placebo - it is why audiophiles queue to buy amplifiers using blue LEDs to create the blue glowing. ;)

Bias exists in every sighted report. We should know how to read between the lines and analyze these subjective reports using our own experience and knowledgeif you want to extract something useful for us. It is why it is important to list the recordings, write details and readers should know the poster system, preferences and previous history.

Bias is particularly prevalent when using tube amps, but sometimes it is manual and sometimes automatic;)

Steve N.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is ironic but in the context of speakers/room acoustics were preference enters the equation without dispute, it is the test signals that are more revealing than music. Pink noise for example may reveal differences that are audible at far lower levels. Here is a sampling of many examples in Dr. Toole's book:

Bech separately examined the influence of several individual reflections on timbral and spatial aspects of perception. In all of the results, it was evident that signal was a major factor: Broadband pink noise was more revealing than male speech. In terms of timbre changes, only the noise signal was able to show any audible effects and then only for the floor reflection; speech revealed no audible effects on timbre.

Spectrally rich test tones expose all anomalies whereas music may not statistically have the frequency content to excite them. Or have such a content as to mask distortions. The latter comes into play with compressed music. Simple ticking sounds reveal compression artifacts better than tens of thousands of songs. What may be transparent with music, will decidedly not be so with such test tones.

This works both ways of course. Because a lot of music may not be revealing, it is easy to use them to "prove" no audible difference in subjective listening tests.

I don't know that I fit any of these camps. The camp I am in is that any difference we perceive, we need to hypothesize as to their reason and work to demonstrate their effect. I am actually OK if these differences are small: let's quantify them and then judge them. What I don't subscribe to is putting aside all science and engineering, and going by highly unreliable hearing system when it comes to small differences. The odds of being right in my opinion when differences shrink is very low. We would not bet in Las Vegas with our own money with such odds. But we do it when purchasing equipment. The only way to improve the odds is to see if science can be on your side. Then at least the wind is behind you :).

At personal level, that is true. As a matter of science and engineer, that is not so. It says that a lot, but not maybe all that we worry about in these esoteric differences may be invalid. I am not a fan of pushing this point to extreme where ever small difference is considered inconsequential. That may be throwing the baby out with the bath water. But once we eliminate that domain -- the ones that we can measure and show lack of transparency at fundamental level -- then we enter the world of improbable from science and engineering point of view.

I have changed my views about this topic over the 40 years I have been in it both as a listener and audiophile and an engineer helping design some of it. I don't know how anyone would not want to learn more and with it, change their opinion. Should I have stuck to my views when test after test I thought identical differences were the same? Should I not have changed my view where in double blind tests found differences down to milliseconds that nobody else heard but objectively where there and later fixed? Should I not have changed my views where I learned the psychoacoustics of how we hear? Should I not have changed my views where I sat in a double blind speaker test and the technology that I thought was great, sounded literally "broken" when I could not see its magnificent look? Should I not have changed my views about room acoustics when I read listening test after listening tests that showed what we intuit as bad, like room reflections, can actually be beneficial?

I am going to be blunt: the only reason to not change your views is if you are not continuously learning :). I learned that my pure engineering 101 studies were wrong. I also learned that trusting my ears was wrong. I learned these things by experimentation and by really learning how the equipment worked. Once there, I tend to find myself disagreeing with extreme views in both camps.

Not a lot. Most audiophiles tend to shun tone controls and, even worse in their minds, DSP; they achieve their control of the sound by moving their speakers around and when that doesn't work, churning equipment. It's a long, hard, expensive road...

I used to be one of those that shunned tone controls as well as EQ, which is essentially a more sophisticated tone control. And this was for good reason. The hardware that accomplished this was far from transparent.

Well all that changed when I discovered Amarra EQ. Now, I simply cannot live without it. I use it here and at every show, including recently Newport. It is simply the most transparent EQ I have even experienced. It can take a $10K pair of speakers and make them sound like a $50K pair.

There are instructions on ways to use it on my website a well as info on the analysis tools that I use.

Steve N.

I don't doubt that this camp exists, but it must be exceedingly small, as I've never met a single member. Every audiophile I've ever met, in person or online, was interested in listening to music. What separates the two main camps is whether or not they believe that accurate reproduction of the recording is important. I'll only say it is important to me. And it is only important because of the way it sounds. I've taken a long path toward ever more linear reproduction that began with a cartridge upgrade, and a switch from horns to acoustic suspension speakers, 40 years ago and continues today with digital recordings, computer audio and active speakers. That sound which the "musical" audiophiles refer to as "clinical?" That is what delivers the sense of realism to me. That is what helps me connect emotionally to the music. That is my preference. If it weren't, all the measurements in the world wouldn't matter. And I'm nowhere close to alone; I don't think you'll find a single "objectivist" here who disagrees. Characterizing us as being primarily interested in the signal, or the numbers, or specs, or charts and graphs, is just a way to dismiss an alternative POV.

"Sound Quality?" Yes. That's purely subjective. Whatever you enjoy, enjoy. One man's warm bath of musical euphony is another's aural wet willie.

Tim

Experience with lots of audiophiles has taught me some things about SQ.

1) Like Golf, most audiophiles go through a series of "levels" of perfection, based on their system refinement and resolution. This is why it is so difficult to talk about these things on the forums. Everyone has a different reference of their current "perfection".

2) Many audiophiles stall at some level and don't get to the next level due to losing interest, lack of will or lack of money. Some stall due to relying too much on measurements. If they don't see a product with significantly better measured performance, they stick with what they have.

3) Some audiophiles have the perseverance and will to continue upgrading and tweaking until they reach their personal nirvana. Then they quit. The problem is how to determine if they have gone as far as they can go? My measure of this is when the music moves you so much and draws you in that you cannot get up. It creates a significant emotional response that stimulates those areas of the brain similar to addictive drugs. It actually changes your mood and takes you to another place, like a good movie will. I have found that as the playback quality transitions from just detailed to include more of the high and low frequency reflections of the recording venue, reproducing the actual dynamics and capturing more of the subtle details of the performance, that the emotional response increases dramatically. This is the point where my customers tell me that they are just into buying more music now and they are done tweaking, at least for a while until their curiosity gets the better of them.

Steve N.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Experience with lots of audiophiles has taught me some things about SQ.

1) Like Golf, most audiophiles go through a series of "levels" of perfection, based on their system refinement and resolution. This is why it is so difficult to talk about these things on the forums. Everyone has a different reference of their current "perfection".

2) Many audiophiles stall at some level and don't get to the next level due to losing interest, lack of will or lack of money. Some stall due to relying too much on measurements. If they don't see a product with significantly better measured performance, they stick with what they have.

3) Some audiophiles have the perseverance and will to continue upgrading and tweaking until they reach their personal nirvana. Then they quit. The problem is how to determine if they have gone as far as they can go? My measure of this is when the music moves you so much and draws you in that you cannot get up. It creates a significant emotional response that stimulates those areas of the brain similar to addictive drugs. It actually changes your mood and takes you to another place, like a good movie will. I have found that as the playback quality transitions from just detailed to include more of the high and low frequency reflections of the recording venue, reproducing the actual dynamics and capturing more of the subtle details of the performance, that the emotional response increases dramatically. This is the point where my customers tell me that they are just into buying more music now and they are done tweaking, at least for a while until their curiosity gets the better of them.

Steve N.
Hey Steve:

Here is something you might find interesting. Mr Hansen, Mr Rankin, Mr. Silberbman.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I used to be one of those that shunned tone controls as well as EQ, which is essentially a more sophisticated tone control. And this was for good reason. The hardware that accomplished this was far from transparent.

Well all that changed when I discovered Amarra EQ. Now, I simply cannot live without it. I use it here and at every show, including recently Newport. It is simply the most transparent EQ I have even experienced. It can take a $10K pair of speakers and make them sound like a $50K pair.

There are instructions on ways to use it on my website a well as info on the analysis tools that I use.

Steve N.

Steve I agree with you on many things. But I have become a purist lately. No eq, no tone controls, the least amount of cables the better, shorter signal paths etc.

There is no right or wrong, but to my ear, simpler is better. :D

Last edited:
Hey Steve:

Here is something you might interesting. Mr Hansen, Mr Rankin, Mr. Silberbman.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft

Okay, now you got me going:
"All of the problems with digital are analog problems."

Not true. There are a whole class of problems that are uniquely digital. Its like saying the signal issues with termination of a digital signal are the same as with an RF signal. Not really. For example, in the RF case you care about VSWR or voltage standing wave ratio (amplitude of reflection). In Digital, we care about timing of reflections as well as amplitude. The delay along the cable is important in Digital.

It is true that all digital signals are essentially analog first.

"in ANY digital system, it is rare that the errors are so large that there will be actual corruption of the data"

This I agree with. There are tons of posts on the forums from people that believe there are errors. Maybe reading a CD, but not transferring digital data.

" it turns out that far more important than the absolute amount of timing error is the spectral distribution of the error (ie, how much error is there at high frequencies versus low frequencies), and whether that timing error is correlated with the audio data (music signal) or if it is just random variations"

I also agree with this.

Its interesting that Gordon did not address the reasons why Async USB interface is imperfect, ala common-mode noise....

Steve N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing