Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken,

What are you using on your Vandy Amps? When I put in the Hurricanes to replace some Cardas/RSA power cables I noticed a huge difference.

Stock cords right now on the M7-HPA. Trying to decide between Hurricane and Dragon.

Ken

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Stock cords right now on the M7-HPA. Trying to decide between Hurricane and Dragon.

Ken

As I said, I have Hurricanes now. I also had custom Tornadoes made for the Model 7 subs. The regular Tornadoes won't work because the IEC connector is too wide. They put on different connectors that fit nicely.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
As I said, I have Hurricanes now. I also had custom Tornadoes made for the Model 7 subs. The regular Tornadoes won't work because the IEC connector is too wide. They put on different connectors that fit nicely.

Thanks for the info on the custom IEC connectors for the Model 7 Subs. I was wondering how to tackle that issue.

Ken

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for the info on the custom IEC connectors for the Model 7 Subs. I was wondering how to tackle that issue.

Ken

My dealer worked with Audioquest on this. If you need to contact them it is Audio Connection. Ask for John Rutan, the owner.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Ayreman, I would also appreciate your feedback since I read you also have both Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables.

Best,
Ken
Alpinist, I use 10 power cords in my system. Before 2018 they were all NRG Wild. My first move was to replace 5 NRG Wild with 5 Hurricanes. The difference was astounding. Hurricanes were at least 3 levels above NRG Wild. I just couldn't believe the difference. Next, 5 Dragons HC arrived (and the last 5 NRG Wild were sold). At this point A-to-B comparison of Dragons and Hurricanes became possible. Here I was disappointed. Why? Because I naively expected the Dragons to destroy Hurricanes in the same degree as Hurricanes destroyed NRG Wild. Logical expectation, given the price difference, isn't it? But it did not happen. Dragons are 1 level above the Hurricanes. About a month later a placed my order for another 5 Dragons . It is now an all-Dragon system. A total of 10 Dragons HC.

In what ways Dragons are superior? Everything is more refined and extended. Bass extension and resolution with the Dragons is significantly better. Across the board Dragons have finesse, lushness and richness that Hurricanes lack.

Bottom line: for around $2000 Hurricanes are simply beyond competition and out of this world. But if cost is irrelevant, Dragons are 1 level above them.

Hope this helps rather than confuses the choice!:)

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I just received the Niagara 7000. It has been mentioned that the Audioquest power cables are synergistic with the conditioners. I was thinking of the Hurricane. Anyone try this combo?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I just received the Niagara 7000. It has been mentioned that the Audioquest power cables are synergistic with the conditioners. I was thinking of the Hurricane. Anyone try this combo?
I did. I used Niagara 7000 with Hurricane for about 6 months. Eventually I traded 7000 for a pair of 5000 (which is what I've been using since). So yes, I highly recommend powering 7000 with a Hurricane!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I use Hurricanes (HC & Source) to drive my system through a Niagra 5000 on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. These are very good cables, maybe the sweet spot in the AQ line, although I have not auditioned others. Wonderful clarity. Amp dynamics (Gryphon Diablo 300) through the 5000 were immediately obvious, a significant plus rather than a negative.

Reactions: bmarq and ayreman

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I use all Hurricanes (x5) with a 7000 in my main system. Unfortunately I can't compare to similar quality competitors, as I moved this way in a big all-over upgrade push to take my system to the next level - which it certainly did, and them some! My system's sound quality is now way, way beyond prior iterations.

I did some brief comparisons between NRG 1000, WEL NRG Signature, and Hurricanes. The NRG 1000 got clobbered - harsh sounding, flat, less dynamic, and less detailed. Replacing NRG 1000 with Hurricanes on my tube monoblocks was particularly notable! The Hurricanes seemed to yield the greatest impact on those amps. Surprisingly the WEL NRG hung pretty well with the Hurricanes on both the wall-to-7000 and preamp slots - well perhaps not too surprisingly, given its pure silver conductors and 3x cost! The WEL NRG is a very detailed, nimble sounding cable. In the end, I preferred the Hurricanes over WELs in those slots due to its smoother sound and better bass response - but I could certainly be happy with the WEL's in there too.

Reactions: Maxb

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Just received the Hurricane PC for my Niagara 7000.
Two questions:
1. How long of a break in period for the Hurricane?
2. I may plug a CPT 1800 into one of the Niagara outlets. Any problem with mixing the CPT balanced power with the Audioquest design?

ozzy

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Hurricanes will sound pretty great right out of the box. And I'm not sure why you'd add a CPT to the chain - the 7000 already has a huge isolation transformer in it. I doubt you'll get any recommendation from Audioquest other than "leave the CPT out".

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to fit the CPT 1800 into the configuration. I guess I'll try it for a few days plugged into the 7000 and then remove it to evaluate the usefulness of this combo.

ozzy

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Hurricanes: How long to break in? Dealer advised 200 - 300 hours. I did not notice significant change on HCs wall to 5000 and 5000 to integrated.... perhaps because the whole upgrade made such a dramatic difference. I am breaking in a Hurricane Source now, 5000 to CDP. Here I have noticed a significant change. Initially this PC in this application was a bit harsh on top (mostly strings/brass on some classical music). Excellent now after about 100 hours.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks for that information. I concur that usually cables take about 200 hours to complete the process. Mine are new as today and at the moment sound about the same as the cable it replaced. (Furutech DPS-4 with NCF fittings).

ozzy

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I use Hurricanes (HC & Source) to drive my system through a Niagra 5000 on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. These are very good cables, maybe the sweet spot in the AQ line, although I have not auditioned others. Wonderful clarity. Amp dynamics (Gryphon Diablo 300) through the 5000 were immediately obvious, a significant plus rather than a negative.

GSOphile I also have a 300. I found my sound a bit sleepy with my Dynaudio Contour 60's until I put a Thunder between it and a dedicated circuit. It's now come, dramatically, to life which has spurred me to get a demo 5000 and Hurricane to hear how much more might be to come. Meantime, I'm curious as to your speakers?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
GSOphile I also have a 300. I found my sound a bit sleepy with my Dynaudio Contour 60's until I put a Thunder between it and a dedicated circuit. It's now come, dramatically, to life which has spurred me to get a demo 5000 and Hurricane to hear how much more might be to come. Meantime, I'm curious as to your speakers?

I have Magico S3 Mk2s.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I use 5 Hurricanes and 5 Dragons HC in my system. Both cables are unprecedented in their price categories. Hurricage beats anything up to 10K. Dragon HC is simply the best power cord on this planet. Period.

Exactly which power cords have you compared directly, in the same system, to the Dragon HC?

Since you are making an absolute declarative statement that the Dragon HC is “the best power cord on this planet” (and not merely the best power cord you personally happened to have heard) I assume you have compared it directly, on the same system, to the top-of-the-line power cord of almost every major cable manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Wish I could compare the Dragon to my High Fidelity PRO power cord.
Pic of my PRO and Helix UR cords.
Would be interesting to see how they compare.....

HighFidelityPower.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Exactly which power cords have you compared directly, in the same system, to the Dragon HC?

Since you are making an absolute declarative statement that the Dragon HC is “the best power cord on this planet” (and not merely the best power cord you personally happened to have heard) I assume you have compared it directly, on the same system, to the top-of-the-line power cord of almost every major cable manufacturer.
Over the past 20 years in my system I have compared around two dozens of cable brands. Add to that another 2-3 dozens that I auditioned in other systems (including at major international shows). AQ's solid core PSC+ and especially PSS reigns supreme. Nothing can touch it. It's like Furutech's GTX-D NCF (R) receptacles - everyone knows they are the best money can buy! Same with AQ's top-of-the-line cables - they crush everything under the Sun...

When cable manufacturers put outrageous price tags on their products while using dodgy alloys instead of pure silver or at least pure copper, I call this fraud and steer clear of such tricksters.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing