AudiogoN violation flags

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I just got a second 'violation flag' from AudiogoN.

I got the first one last month for stating in the ad text that I accept bank wire transfers only, even though AudiogoN forces you to use PayPal (and by doing so, puts you at a great risk as a seller).

Today I got a second for sharing my email address via their communicator (the funny thing is, I did it with the person that bought sth from me, so I have already paid both the AudiogoN listing and sale fees !).

I've been using my account for 12 years, my feedback is close to 350, 100% positive. I have already paid audiogon THOUSANDS of dollars in fees.

That was probably not enough for the hungry beast. They have left me an option to start Premium Listings - $100 per listing on any item costing $3500-$9999 (so most of the gear I ever sold or listed).

It is starting to get radiculous. I'm not gonna pay $100 per listing, some of which you have to run for months before making a sale.

Anyone had similar experience to this ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Audiogon is the living proof that a service that totally sucks but that has cornered a market can still do well, despite treating their customers like ****. in an indeal world, the invisible hand would have strangled them a long time ago.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Don't understand.

Just recently listed and sold an item. In my ad, I provided my personal e-mail and phone number.

And I wasn't "forced" to use pay pal.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
They cater to dealers now. Only the dealers who pay a monthly fee for advertising get reasonable rates and can say whatever they want in their ads. Audiogon used to be an end-user friendly company. That was then, this is now . . .

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Don't understand.

Just recently listed and sold an item. In my ad, I provided my personal e-mail and phone number.

And I wasn't "forced" to use pay pal.

When you choose a basic listing (the $4 one) the only payment option they give you is Paypal. If you choose the Priemium Listing, there are multiple options - bank wire, CC, check etc.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am going to try to avoid audiogon from now on. Just last month I sold a pair of cables, the buyer paid, was about to ship, the ad was removed; then the next day, a clone ad appears, the history from the original was gone, another buyer pays for the item; don't know what do. I refund the money to the second buyer, but he's now down 3% in paypal fees. Audiogon manually restores the original ad and history based solely on copies of the transaction I was emailed (and which I forwarded to them), and I have to explain to the second buyer what happened, by forwarding my exchanges with Audiogon support. At the end, I am not sure if the second buyer got his paypal fee back from somewhere. A mess, and they have my credit card on file. UGHHHHHH!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I just got a second 'violation flag' from AudiogoN.

I got the first one last month for stating in the ad text that I accept bank wire transfers only, even though AudiogoN forces you to use PayPal (and by doing so, puts you at a great risk as a seller).

Today I got a second for sharing my email address via their communicator (the funny thing is, I did it with the person that bought sth from me, so I have already paid both the AudiogoN listing and sale fees !).

I've been using my account for 12 years, my feedback is close to 350, 100% positive. I have already paid audiogon THOUSANDS of dollars in fees.

That was probably not enough for the hungry beast. They have left me an option to start Premium Listings - $100 per listing on any item costing $3500-$9999 (so most of the gear I ever sold or listed).

It is starting to get radiculous. I'm not gonna pay $100 per listing, some of which you have to run for months before making a sale.

Anyone had similar experience to this ?

How does accepting Paypal put you at risk as a seller?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Because the buyer can dispute the transaction and freeze the funds in your paypal account until the dispute has been resolved. If the buyer acts in bad faith, I presume they can really screw you over I guess. Thenagain, not accepting paypal puts the seller in the position to be able to screw the buyer.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's all about disputes and resolution. The buyer has 45 days to file a dispute. For example, the buyer can claim that the item was damaged and be entitled to a refund, while they themselves may have damaged it. The goods don't have to be damaged really, they can just find all sorts of excuses why they were not "as described". Ebay is the same.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting. I guess the thing to do is keep nothing in your paypal account and immediately transfer any incoming payments to your bank account and then hope this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

He can pay with a stolen CC or may have a legit CC but may have an intention to screw you over from the very begining. It happens a lot those days.

Go to http://www.paypalsucks.com to read tons of horror stories. PayPal is NOT safe for the seller AT ALL.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting. I guess the thing to do is keep nothing in your paypal account and immediately transfer any incoming payments to your bank account and then hope this sort of thing doesn't happen.

That's what I do

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Good advice. I just banked $6,500 for an item I'll be shipping Saturday. I'll transfer to my bank account right away. Not sure if paypal can tap into a linked bankaccount or charge your own credit card on file in case of a dispute.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Here is another anti paypal site: https://www.aboutpaypal.org/

This is a good story:

Sold a trailer to a guy for his job site. Transferred $6,000 from his company card into his PP account, then into mine. PayPal gave the OK to ship.FOUR MONTHS LATER he and his boss parted ways, so the company challenged the charge. I contacted the buyer, and he removed the challenge because he still had the trailer. PP put my money back and told me it was a done deal, all taken care of.A month later, now FIVE MONTHS AFTER THE PURCHASE, I get an email that says the dispute has been resolved in the BUYER’S favor and my $6k is gone.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good advice. I just banked $6,500 for an item I'll be shipping Saturday. I'll transfer to my bank account right away. Not sure if paypal can tap into a linked bankaccount or charge your own credit card on file in case of a dispute.

They can, so transferring money out is not entirely safe. You have to unlink credit cards and bank accounts.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
They can, so transferring money out is not entirely safe. You have to unlink credit cards and bank accounts.

Too much hassle. I have been using them for years and never had a problem. I guess I'll just have to take my chances....

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, since I mentioned ebay, here's a little known fact: you can retract bids, just enter the item # and select a reason - see http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

Changing or retracting your bid

As a general rule, you can't retract or cancel a bid. Once you place a bid, you agree to pay for the item if you're the winning bidder. However, honest mistakes sometimes occur.
If you want to retract a bid:

• Review the conditions and time restrictions for canceling a bid in an auction-style listing.
  • If you feel you have a valid reason for canceling a bid, fill out a Bid Retraction.
  • If you want to cancel a Best Offer, use the Best Offer Cancellation form.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Here is another anti paypal site: https://www.aboutpaypal.org/

This is a good story:

Sold a trailer to a guy for his job site. Transferred $6,000 from his company card into his PP account, then into mine. PayPal gave the OK to ship.FOUR MONTHS LATER he and his boss parted ways, so the company challenged the charge. I contacted the buyer, and he removed the challenge because he still had the trailer. PP put my money back and told me it was a done deal, all taken care of.A month later, now FIVE MONTHS AFTER THE PURCHASE, I get an email that says the dispute has been resolved in the BUYER’S favor and my $6k is gone.

How is this possible. You can only dispute up to 45 days.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
When you choose a basic listing (the $4 one) the only payment option they give you is Paypal. If you choose the Priemium Listing, there are multiple options - bank wire, CC, check etc.

I choose the basic option costing $10 since the value of the product was under $1K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing