Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamplifier as tape head preamp: anyone with experience ?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I am currently using a DIY version of Allen Wright's RTP-3C preamp as tape head preamp for my Nagra TA. I built this more than 20 years ago as a phono preamp, and later modified it to serve as tapehead preamp. It is fully differential using constant current sinks, with a shunt regulated power supply, passive RIAA and an input stage that uses a FET/tube cascode to achieve a 70dB total gain. The differential input allows me to use an unshielded cable from the tape head, thus reducing capacitance, which is helpful as the playback head has a rather high inductance.
My friend is looking for a tape head preamp, but the RTP is no longer available in commercial form after Allen passed away. I just came across the Atma-Sphere MP-1 and it has a very similar philosophy. In fact, Ralph was one of the early or even original proponent of the balanced-differential approach. I am also very happy to note that tape head input is an option. I have never seen this preamp mentioned when people discussed tape head preamps. Does anyone have any experience with this preamp ?
Is the tape head input in addition to the phono input, or replaces the phono input ? How many EQs are available for switching ? How about adjustments to calibrate the EQ curve, and head loading ?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Does anyone have any experience with this preamp ?

I owned an MP-1 Mk III with phonostage and reviewed it for Soundstage. I did not use it with a tape machine.

It offers amazing OTL transparency - I loved it. Balanced phono input! Worked flawlessly with my MA-1 amps. The trick with the MP-1 is tube selection: 4 12AT7 and 5 6SN7 per channel. Along with the many NOS alternatives you want the quietest tubes you can manage.

Wrt your tape specific questions, send a note to @Atmasphere - Ralph is very helpful.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I could be wrong but is not the tape selection just a line in, line out and not really suppose to do much?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I could be wrong but is not the tape selection just a line in, line out and not really suppose to do much?
The tape head is a very low level signal in the same range as an MC cartridge, and also needs to have equalization.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The tape head is a very low level signal in the same range as an MC cartridge, and also needs to have equalization.
Yeah thats what the tape needs to see
I guess the question is does the Mp 1 show it. I get it.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Is the tape head input in addition to the phono input, or replaces the phono input ? How many EQs are available for switching ? How about adjustments to calibrate the EQ curve, and head loading ?
Its an additional input to the high gain section. There are usually two tape EQs; NAB and IEC2 are the most commonly requested. There are no adjustments as in playback you don't need to adjust the EQ; that's more on the record side of things. We've got no provision for head bump but so far its not been a problem. That can be controlled by loading the tape head.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I owned an MP-1 Mk III with phonostage and reviewed it for Soundstage. I did not use it with a tape machine.

It offers amazing OTL transparency - I loved it. Balanced phono input! Worked flawlessly with my MA-1 amps. The trick with the MP-1 is tube selection: 4 12AT7 and 5 6SN7 per channel. Along with the many NOS alternatives you want the quietest tubes you can manage.

Wrt your tape specific questions, send a note to @Atmasphere - Ralph is very helpful.

Ralph will probably chime-in, but the phono section of current version of the MP1 mkIII is different from the one you reviewed and I also owned. The old version was too noisy when used with a Studer original head - I tried it - but the current version using tubes in parallel in the input stage is much less noisier than the old version. Changing the equalization is a simple affair - it would be great if we could have a switch to keep both the phono RIAA and the NAB/IEC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing