Are these the best speaker's in the world?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As you all know, in best-case scenarios we measure loudspeakers at the NRC in Canada (see recent Magico S5 review, upcoming speaker measurements from Joseph and Bryston). The Kaweros! are large and heavy speakers and in this case we did not measure them. I therefore examined the detailed data provided me by Rainer Weber at Kaiser (I asked him a series of technical questions I had about the loudspeakers, which he was more than happy to provide answers to). I then took his explanation/data to two other experts who I trust. The main feature I wanted examined – because it was the most unique in my experience – was loading the midrange driver with a passive radiator. The explanation, perhaps surprisingly, passed the smell taste to all involved.

Jeff,

Are you allowed to post the technical data that Kaiser sent you?
I remember that the Sonus Faber Amator 2 loaded the midrange driver with a back passive radiator. The effect of radiation through this type of back radiator was also studied in the Extema - but in this case they fitted a thick non resonant plate over the large B139 passive to control it. Did your experts comment on why the Kaiser should "sound big"?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff,

Are you allowed to post the technical data that Kaiser sent you?
I remember that the Sonus Faber Amator 2 loaded the midrange driver with a back passive radiator. The effect of radiation through this type of back radiator was also studied in the Extema - but in this case they fitted a thick non resonant plate over the large B139 passive to control it. Did your experts comment on why the Kaiser should "sound big"?

I can ask. My guess on the "sound big" aspect is the radiation pattern. The crossover slopes are shallow so there is a lot of overlap. With the woofer and radiator putting a lot of energy into the room from the rear, the speaker acts more like an omni than does a traditional, forward-firing direct radiator. That would also explain why it is not as razor-sharp in terms of imaging as some others -- again, more like an omni.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Well guys I can talk candidly about the Concert Grands as they have been in my house for close to two months now. I am not here to say these are the "best" speakers in the world but I can say they may be one of the most unique speakers I have ever heard. I have ALWAYS been partial to monitors. I have owned many great speakers from Avalon, Wilson, Proac and Magico among others and am really enjoying this speaker. I was a little concerned when I first took delivery (including getting them up the stairs) as I was worried that like in the past when I "upgraded" from my Wilson Watt/Puppy to the X1s was it going to be better than the Baby Grand Series II they were replacing? Evil of good is better.

My first rule is don't judge right out of the box and second rule is take advice from the guy who designs them. Well I did neither and was too harsh of a judge straight out of the box and thought Carl had to be crazy regarding his choice of wires and amp. I was using the REF250s for my Series II which I found better than the REF75.

After a month of break in and swapping out the REF250s for the REF75 and finding the right place in my room and swapping out my wires I can say I am REALLY enjoying what I am hearing. The "review" by HP and Joey is actually very accurate. This is a big speaker (whether one likes the way the look is up to you) and have incredible dynamics at the most enjoyable SPL. They really are so effortless in all aspects of the most music spectra with incredible sound stage that all I can say is it is surreal. Of course it is a matter of taste and to each his own and as to price of course they are absurd BUT from my perch I have never enjoyed myself more and couldn't be happier with my choice.

These are the biggest, most balanced, bass accurate, three dimensional and most expensive MONITORS I have ever heard. If you love the qualities of what monitors do so well but yearn for a full dynamic speaker without losing any of the qualities of the best monitors you should at least listen to them despite them being absurdly expensive because they really are so unique in that respect.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Well guys I can talk candidly about the Concert Grands as they have been in my house for close to two months now. I am not here to say these are the "best" speakers in the world but I can say they may be one of the most unique speakers I have ever heard. I have ALWAYS been partial to monitors. I have owned many great speakers from Avalon, Wilson, Proac and Magico among others and am really enjoying this speaker. I was a little concerned when I first took delivery (including getting them up the stairs) as I was worried that like in the past when I "upgraded" from my Wilson Watt/Puppy to the X1s was it going to be better than the Baby Grand Series II they were replacing? Evil of good is better.

My first rule is don't judge right out of the box and second rule is take advice from the guy who designs them. Well I did neither and was too harsh of a judge straight out of the box and thought Carl had to be crazy regarding his choice of wires and amp. I was using the REF250s for my Series II which I found better than the REF75.

After a month of break in and swapping out the REF250s for the REF75 and finding the right place in my room and swapping out my wires I can say I am REALLY enjoying what I am hearing. The "review" by HP and Joey is actually very accurate. This is a big speaker (whether one likes the way the look is up to you) and have incredible dynamics at the most enjoyable SPL. They really are so effortless in all aspects of the most music spectra with incredible sound stage that all I can say is it is surreal. Of course it is a matter of taste and to each his own and as to price of course they are absurd BUT from my perch I have never enjoyed myself more and couldn't be happier with my choice.

These are the biggest, most balanced, bass accurate, three dimensional and most expensive MONITORS I have ever heard. If you love the qualities of what monitors do so well but yearn for a full dynamic speaker without losing any of the qualities of the best monitors you should at least listen to them despite them being absurdly expensive because they really are so unique in that respect.

So, may I ask, six months after your post, which amps are you now using and how is your system settling in?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
So, may I ask, six months after your post, which amps are you now using and how is your system settling in?

Sorry I didn't see your question.

I am still using the REF75 but now with KT150 tubes.

The system is fabulous. I have never heard a comparable sounding system but I am biased. Other than tweaking with Stillpoint Apertures and the new tubes nothing in the system has changed and I am thrilled with every opportunity to listen. I have no desire to change a thing. It is as well balanced as I have ever heard a system and clearly the best I have ever owned.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
DO NOT click on the original link in the first post....bells, alarms all went off, warnings, etc.:mad:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing