Are crossovers the most important part of speaker design?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are some people over at another forum who do nothing but talk about crossovers and say it is the single most important factor in speaker design. Is this an over-exaggeration?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There are some people over at another forum who do nothing but talk about crossovers and say it is the single most important factor in speaker design. Is this an over-exaggeration?

Who started the thread? It sounds like someone I know...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Who started the thread? It sounds like someone I know...

It's not in a specific thread...just some talk about various speakers and their crossovers. I can't believe that one aspect in speaker design is SO important that it outshines all other factors. But what do I know? Hence the question.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-Of course the crossover is really important. So is the design of the speaker, the quality of the drivers, and the quality of the overall construction. Can a bad crossover design ruin a speaker? Of course it can, but so can every other aspect of speaker design. It's a pointless debate IMO. Chicken or the egg, if a tree falls in a forest...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-Of course the crossover is really important. So is the design of the speaker, the quality of the drivers, and the quality of the overall construction. Can a bad crossover design ruin a speaker? Of course it can, but so can every other aspect of speaker design. It's a pointless debate IMO. Chicken or the egg, if a tree falls in a forest...

That's my take on it as well.

So when one starts to design a speaker what is the starting point or is their one? I assume one has a vision for what they are trying to bring across, but how does that start out?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You can't start designing a crossover without having drivers in mind..... Then, the drivers will dictate the size of the cabinet. Or, you design a cabinet and pick drivers that will work in that cabinet. So, the crossover is usually the last thing to be considered. After that, it is iterative because sometimes you just simply can't get the cabinet/driver/crossover combination to work, then you go back and re-design the cabinet and/or the driver.

Even with a combination of drivers and cabinets, placement of the drivers will affect crossover design. Mid, then tweeter, then woofer. Or tweeter, then mid, then woofer? Port front, back, down, or no port?

The reason many diy speaker designers think that the crossover is the most important is because speaker kits that include both drivers and cabinets are easily available (on Madisound for example). When that is the case, the crossover design and make/break the end product.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1. Driver parameters and cabinet design generally dictates the crossover design (primarily frequency and slope). Great drivers can be trashed by a bad crossover, but a great crossover won't help really bad drivers.

Synergy, balance, and all that jazz.

IMO, and please note I am NOT a speaker designer - Don

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On the other hand, some crossovers have circuitry running in parallel that flatten impedance and frequency response. Of course calling that "driver correction" is debatable.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. I can say with complete certainty that the crossover components can and will be an extremely important part of speaker design/performance but this question is somewhat like that of the source or speaker thread. There is no real answer.

Tom

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
There are some people over at another forum who do nothing but talk about crossovers and say it is the single most important factor in speaker design.

It just as important as the drivers are.

Rob:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for all of the replies guys! And the way I'm reading them is that there is no black/white answer to this. Everything has to work together (obviously) and if there is a weakness it could come from a variety of areas or a singular one.

Learning every day and every time I come here! :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What is the most important thing in a car:... the wheels or the steer ?:)
The same answer goes for X overs .
It is possible to screw up a otherwise good speaker through bad X over design .
IMO the most important /difficult /expensive part is the housing of a speaker , once you figure out the optimal X over design its merely routine
Its like with any job .you got to have the right tools (measuring equipment) and experience.
BTW all those books from so called X over experts , i have chucked them in the bin (or rather resold them on the net:D) and lastly the quality of the used parts has to be of a certain standard off course

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
So when one starts to design a speaker what is the starting point or is their one? I assume one has a vision for what they are trying to bring across, but how does that start out?

The starting point is simply to have an idea for a way to build a speaker that's enough better than what's already out there to be worth the effort.

Virtually all choices that go into a speaker design are inter-related (woofer/tweeter/crossover/enclosure/anticipated room & placement/WAF/budget/etc.), and any one thing that you don't take into account can sink your ship. Therefore the more you can take into account at the same time, from the onset, the better.

And to paraphrase a line from The Princess Bride: Speaker design is tradeoffs, highness. Anyone who says differently is in marketing.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Ru really concerned ? I'm not...the speakers I chose got it right. Can you imagine second guessing the speaker designer's choice of crossover configuration ? If you can, then build your own speaker. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ru really concerned ? I'm not...the speakers I chose got it right. Can you imagine second guessing the speaker designer's choice of crossover configuration ? If you can, then build your own speaker. ;)

Haha...no I'm not concerned at all. It was simply a query based on what was being discussed elsewhere, so I brought it here since we have manufacturers/designers participating.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing